Trains.com

My latest railfanning trip - Worcester, MA, 3/8/09

0 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
My latest railfanning trip - Worcester, MA, 3/8/09
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, March 9, 2009 6:59 PM

Photographs always turn out best with a great sky overhead. So, when I looked outside Sunday morning and saw a beautiful blue sky (and very warm temperatures!) I asked myself "where can I go railfanning today?" I checked my schedule that I'd put together for Worcester, MA, and saw that there was a CSX local and an MBTA train headed through between 2:10 and 2:40. So I managed to get a ride to Worcester, and away I went. Here's a link to the schedule:

Worcester Train Schedules

I set up on the platform, and soon enough CSX local B722 came along, with a GE AC6000CW and ES44AC, trailing a whopping three covered hoppers. They came through the station at a pretty good clip (fast enough to get a pan shot even with a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second) and headed west.

Shortly after, the signals lit up again. MBTA P557 came around the bend in the yard, about a mile away, with a GP40MC (rebuilt from an ex-CN widecab GP40) on the point. It ducked under the I-290 overpass and passed me with the HEP generator screaming.

As the passengers flooded out onto the platform, I made my way to the other end of the platform nearer to the locomotive.

Right on schedule, the train throttled up and the Geep shoved P556 back to Boston.

I caught this shot of the signal bridge silhouetted against the sky, then took a 4 photo panorama (stitched together manually with Adobe Photoshop 6.0 this morning) and finally headed home.

I think the photos couldn't have turned out much better, considering Union Station is on the wrong side of the tracks, so the trains are always backlighted... I've done quite a bit of digital editing with these photos... Plus starting with 149 photos and narrowing them down to 18...

There's also a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLeazCFU0PA

Enjoy!

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy