Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

DCC, Power and Expansion

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 8 posts
DCC, Power and Expansion
Posted by mekdall on Friday, February 6, 2009 5:22 PM

I started a layout and was given a Digitrax Zepher as a gift.  The layout expanded (mainline is over 70') to a point where running 4 trains at a time really slows the system down (not to mention needing fast fingers on the Zepher).  Now a friend would like to run a train so I would like to add a throttle.  It seems the expansion will continue where I will have to add other throttles.  If I want to go wireless, can you recommend a Digitrax configuration?  Do I need boosters to speed trains up?

Michael Ekdall Tennessee
  • 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Friday, February 6, 2009 6:07 PM

Hi

You might want to post this question on the Electronics and DCC forum here.

-G .

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences. Others may vary.

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

• 1,204 posts
Posted by mfm37 on Friday, February 6, 2009 11:12 PM

Depends on what you mean by "slows the system down". If the response time is slow, I'd guess that one train is address 00. If that' s the case, zero stretching to run an analog engine with DCC will slow the system's response time drastically. Only way to speed it up is to install a decoder in the analog engine and not run address 00.

Now if slowing the system down means that the trains are just not running as fast as before, you probably have a voltage drop problem. Locating the booster (Zephyr) near the center of the layout will decrease the drop. A larger bus wire with enough feeders will also decrease voltage drop. adding a booster would help but that's because you would be breaking that 70 foot run in half and feeding one half with another booster. Effectively cutting the wire run in half and lessening voltage drop. A second booster is an awfully expensive way to reduce voltage drop when $25 worth of wire will achieve the same outcome.

As far as adding throttles and wireless operation the choices are up to you and your needs. Add a few UP5 plug in panels around the layout and plug a Digitrax throttle in as needed. They simply plug in using 6 wire cables that can be purchased through many of the online DCC dealers. No changes to you Zephyr are required, just plug the accessories in. UR90 will allow for infrared wireless operation. All current production Digitrax throttles are infrared capable out of the box so that's the lower cost wireless option. Infrared is line of sight like your TV remote control, btw. Radio wireless would require the addition of a UR91 radio receiver. It just plugs in along the chian and requires a PS12 power supply 9included with it) to be plugged in for good operation. One UR91 can handle at least 10 radio throttles. It also has an infrared receiver.

Martin Myers

• 8 posts
Posted by mekdall on Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:07 AM
Thanks, Martin. A perfect response. What wire do you recommend, and how do you attach it to the track?
Michael Ekdall Tennessee
  • 1,204 posts
Posted by mfm37 on Sunday, February 8, 2009 6:51 AM

14 awg wire for the main bus. Connect the bus to the track with solid conductor 20 awg every three feet. Solder all connections. It's more reliable and less expensive.

Others may suggest further apart on the feeders and that will probably be OK. I like to make mine bulletproof the first time though. Never had electrical problems because I had too many feeders.

Martin Myers

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all