Trains.com

Thermal Expansion and its Effects on Train Lengths

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 848 posts
Thermal Expansion and its Effects on Train Lengths
Posted by Ted Marshall on Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:25 PM

On more than one occasion, I've noticed differences between offical train lengths and those reported by wayside detection equipment, usually varying anywhere from 5 or 10 to over 25 feet. This discrepancy seems to occur mostly during the day, even more so during hot summer months. Coincidence or am I really on onto something? Tongue

We all know about sun kinks and the lengths to which they have been discussed here, and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has been discussed to length before as well.  If so, perhaps it's worthy of revival. Either way, I suppose inside I seek validation to my theory.

Thanks. 

• 2,930 posts
Posted by erikem on Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:54 PM

I would think changes in slack would make more of a difference than thermal expansion - several inches per car versus for slack as opposed to a fraction of an inch for thermal expansion. 

• 24,932 posts
Posted by BaltACD on Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:23 PM

Consisted train lengths are calculated from the UMLER (Universal Machine Language Equipment Register) records for cars which list their lenght as a part of the cars record in addition to a number of other facts about the car. 

Within the draft gear of each car, even non-cushioned cars, there is an inch or more travel in the coupler shank within the draft gear on each end of the car.  So each car with the slack stretched out of the train will be several inches longer than the listed length of the car.  Cars with cushioned underframes can be a foot or more longer with the slack stretched.

Despite knowing the consisted length of the train, a good dispatcher will inquire of the train for their most recent Defect Detector lenght when planing a meet where the train length and siding length are a close fit.

Never too old to have a happy childhood!

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:41 PM

Ted Marshall

On more than one occasion, I've noticed differences between offical train lengths and those reported by wayside detection equipment, usually varying anywhere from 5 or 10 to over 25 feet. This discrepancy seems to occur mostly during the day, even more so during hot summer months. Coincidence or am I really on onto something? Tongue

We all know about sun kinks and the lengths to which they have been discussed here, and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has been discussed to length before as well.  If so, perhaps it's worthy of revival. Either way, I suppose inside I seek validation to my theory.

Thanks. 

The thermal expansion coefficient of steel is 0.00000645in/in/degree Fahrenheit.

For a 10,000 foot train, the difference between -30 degrees in North Dakota in January and +120 degrees in Arizona in August is 150 degrees x 12 x 10,0000 x 0.00000645 =  116" = 9.675'

But "nominal lengths" of cars over pulling faces are not measured in North Dakota in January at -30, they're measured on a ~70 degree F day at the car builder, so the difference is only ~ 50 degrees or 3.225' between the average day and the hottest possible day.  And this is for a 10,000-foot train.  Few trains are of that length.

Detectors are not designed by the manufacturer to be accurate more than +/- 1-3 feet over a 10,000 train length -- and may not be even that accurate in the field.  They do not actually measure length; they measure time and speed between two induction coils and calculate length.  Error occurs as train speed varies while it passes the detector and slack runs in and out.  If a detector comes up with a length 100 feet different than the train sheet, that might be worthy of note, but 10 or 20 feet variance is not significant.

RWM

• 6,826 posts
Posted by jeffhergert on Friday, December 19, 2008 12:25 AM

Once in a while on run through trains coming off a foriegn RR I'll find some of their paperwork.  It's not unusual to see a different length or weight, despite no changes in locomotives or cars.  One railroad had two lengths.  One for the slack stretched out and one for it bunched up.

Jeff

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Friday, December 19, 2008 5:29 AM

Jeff, have you noticed that your own trains may have gotten shorter?  On paper, anyway.

For most of the time since the merger, UP, in its UMLER screens, rounded the car's length upward to the next full foot.  On a coal train, where cars have a universal overall length of 53'1", for example, everything was shown as 54 feet, so you'd gain 11 inches per car.  On a 132-car train, that would be 110 feet!  However, recently I've been seeing more accurate lengths given.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 13,681 posts

Jeff, have you noticed that your own trains may have gotten shorter?  On paper, anyway.

For most of the time since the merger, UP, in its UMLER screens, rounded the car's length upward to the next full foot.  On a coal train, where cars have a universal overall length of 53'1", for example, everything was shown as 54 feet, so you'd gain 11 inches per car.  On a 132-car train, that would be 110 feet!  However, recently I've been seeing more accurate lengths given.

That's got to

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 13,681 posts

That's got to help.

Carl

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy