Trains.com

aristocraft v snow plow car

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 36 posts
aristocraft v snow plow car
Posted by jimmydelv on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:21 PM

Does anyone use the aristocraft v snow plow car #46700? Does it work well or is there another product that works better. thanks. Jim

• 593 posts
Posted by smcgill on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:48 PM
Works great! Some of us have changed the look but it's still the same!

Mischief

• 96 posts
Posted by JRB 1953 on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:05 PM

I'VE USED MINE MULTIPLE TIMES AND IT ALWAYS DOES REAL GOOD, EVEN THROUGH SWITCHES.  I PUT A LEAD WEIGHT IN THE BED OF THE GONDOLA AND THINK THIS IS A NEED.  I'VE USED TWO GP30'S AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM PUSHING 3-5 INCHES OF MOISTURE LIGHT SNOW.  WET SNOW IS ANOTHER STORY.  JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY.  HAVE FUN.  NOTHING BETTER THAN SEEING YOUR TRAIN RUN IN THE SNOW...MY OPINION.  CHECK OUT MY POST, "PLOWING & RUNNING IN THE SNOW" 11-24-08, Pg.3

JOHN

• 36 posts
Posted by jimmydelv on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:30 AM

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. Loved the videos!  I definitely will get one! We just had a small wet snow storm here in eastern Pa.(only about an inch or so) and I know that would be the most difficult stuff to remove but my thought was to run the plow from the onset of the snow storm and keep the track clean. Have you ever done that? Now of course I mean a small storm, not some blizzard that would be impossible for the train to keep up with. Thanks in advance to all who respond.  Jim

• 96 posts
Posted by JRB 1953 on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:43 AM

HI JIM, NO I CAN SAY I HAVEN'T STARTED PLOWING FROM THE START.  USUALLY CLEAN TRACK FOR PLOW AND ENGINES, PREPARE THE CAMERA, AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.  I DO THINK THE TRACTION WHEELS ON THE USA ENGINES DO THEIR PART.

JOHN

• 36 posts
Posted by jimmydelv on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:04 AM

Believe it or not, my Bachmann 10 wheeler was doing ok for a while in the snow, but then the snow caked up on the pilot truck and that was all she wrote then. It just sat there spinning it's wheels as the rails were wet and slippery. I'm mainly a 3 rail indoor o-gauger but the outdoor trains(as I'm sure you know) open up a whole new world dealing with the real elements. I would recommend it to anyone who likes model trains of any gauge. You don't need a fancy railroad. Even just a loop of track is fun.

• 1,266 posts
Posted by Capt Bob Johnson on Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:22 AM

I've done it over the years, just fill the Aristo gondola with 1" stone and push it with SD-45!   Will do a nice job on up to 4" of snow.   You're done if the snow gets an ice crust on it!

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy