Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Vines for cliffs and making a dirt road help.

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 9,577 posts
Vines for cliffs and making a dirt road help.
Posted by cudaken on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:40 PM

Just need a few ideas for vines and dirt road. Vines will be for a stone faces cliff, I have clump ground foam and will work in some spots. Any other ideas.

Far as the road, thinking about using dry wall compound. Any other ideas?

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 1,089 posts
Posted by BlueHillsCPR on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:00 AM

For the vines I would try using polyfibre pillow stuffing.  Pull it apart so it is long and wispy paint it the right color and apply ground foam for texture/leaves.

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:13 AM

Hi Ken: For vines and misc. foliage, I like WS foliage. I stretch it out so it's fairly thin, and use dk, med, and light colors.

As for dirt road, here's just one method.  This is WS plaster, similiar to hyrocal, that I used a coarse file to roughen up a bit.

• 1,301 posts
Posted by rogerhensley on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:28 AM

For vines, I use an old method, Walthers Goo followed witha liberal sprinkling of ground foam in various colors depending upon the need.

Oops, almost forgot. Goo will string out into small threads. This is what I use for vines, not the glob of Goo.

Roger Hensley
= ECI Railroad - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_new.html =
= Railroads of Madison County - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:00 AM

For vines, thread coated with glue liberally coated with foliage for leaves. Dirt roads, plaster base allowed to dry, coat with glue, apply liberal amount of appropriatly colored turf, carefully pat smooth and allow to dry. Vacuum excess. Smooth as needed. Gravel road, same as above but use fine ballast instead of turf.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:20 AM

I make vines a couple of ways..

These are WS clump foliage wedged into the crevices between the rock castings.

Here is used either WS foliage netting or some polyfiber coated with ground foam.

Dirt roads I haven't made yet.   But I use fine ballast for gravel roads.

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:28 AM

For the roads, add some course sawdust to the drywal seam cement and a little color. Don't spred it as much as pat it in place. Run a finger along the tread paths and sprinkle on a little fine ballast. Sassi has a nice article on this in  his scenery book, but he uses his own ground goop formula.

I look forward to seeing your results. Your artistry has been quite impressive as of late.

If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 2,313 posts
Posted by gear-jammer on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:29 PM

I too, use Lou Sassi's ground goop.  For the vines,  I dried these weeds after soaking in matte medium.  Then used ground foam and hairspray to get the color.  Look in your back yard.

Sue

Anything is possible if you do not know what you are talking about.

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:18 AM

ARTHILL
Your artistry has been quite impressive as of late.

Art, coming from you it is like Michael Angelo going " Hey kid, you doing good work, hey, paint this pew for me"!

Thanks to the true artist like Crandell, Grampys Trains, K-10 Model Trains (LHS) your self and others it is easy to be inspired.

Other day my Kingsdown Rep (best Mattress I have ever sold and sleep on, my town is named Kingsdown) want to see some pictures of my bench. He was impressed, then I showed him pictures of other folks here and he was stunned. Then I showed him your water fall, I burned him a CD of all the pictures for him.

Sue, I sure wish you could get my wife Sue into the modeling hobby.

Thanks for all the kind answers and your time.

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 2,313 posts
Posted by gear-jammer on Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:39 AM

Ken,

Any time.  Does she participate with your car hobby?

Sue

Anything is possible if you do not know what you are talking about.

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:13 PM

If you call complaining about the cost of the parts participating. yes she does!Big Smile My friends that are car people developed a code for while we where around a better half's.Being a Mopar people we call it Mopar Dollars. To us Mopar being the best, a Mopar Dollar is worth 3 times what the US Dollar is worth, hum with the way things are going that maybe true. When a friend asked me how much the blower intake cost me and Sue is in ear shoot range I will say $300.00. Take that X 3 is $900.00 US dollars!Cool

I know it maybe is not right, but we are a single income family. I am the one working, if I can make the bills, I should have some toys. Now I am Sign - Off Topic!! and on a SoapBox

Sorry about the little rant. Any other tips?

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all