Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

NEW TRAIN ROOM STARTED!!!!

67 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 520 posts
NEW TRAIN ROOM STARTED!!!!
Posted by Loco on Monday, September 8, 2008 7:53 PM
Hello All, 

Been a while since I last posted up.  Been moving, and moving, and yes, moving.  Got most things somewhat unboxed.  Still have a ways to go, but this weekend I started on my NEW TRAIN ROOM.  It's been a bit over 20 years since I had a room to set anything up.  But now the time is here.  I took a few photos and even got on the computer to draw out the room with a small free cad program.  I hope you all can get an idea of the room as it's got some "features" that I'll need some help planning around.  I'm excited as all get out!!

1. This is a diagram of the overall room.  It's an upstairs room (271" by 171") with a small alcove (37" x 100")  the ceiling is a bit sloped in on the sides with stair case going down.  I used XTakCad and then exported a bitmap.  ((Big learning curve this weekend))

2.  This is a photo with my daughter, she was a big help putting in the flooring.  Which, BTW is a laminate hardwood 12mm with a 3mm foam/rubber backing over the 3/4 plywood.  Yes, it's a bit spendy and I would have been just as happy to leave the plywood, but the wife wanted a finished look.  So who am I to argue!  Besides, it will give a pro-looking finished (hope my modeling can match!).  And naturally I'll just have to be a bit more tidy with painting and such.  But that's cool too.

3.  This next one is looking into the room from the stairs and my daughter is no longer in the upper left corrner.  You can see the slop of the ceiling on each side.

4.  Next we rotate a bit more to the right and see the alcove and the window.

5.  Next is a shot of the stairs going down and the banisters. I figuter I can run track above the staircase and just do a slight duck as you come up into the room. (Notice the set of Trix Box Cars and a few other goodies in the corrner?)

6.  And last we have a photo of the stairs going down.

Ok, hope this was not to big for everyone to down load. Might upload smaller photos to Bucket next time.  And of course I'll be taking ALL SORTS tips, ideas, thoughts you all might have.  I'll try to get the flooring done here and then I'll post up some starting given's and druthers.

Thanks

LAte Loco
  • 73 posts
Posted by Looshi on Monday, September 8, 2008 7:55 PM
Congradulations with the new room. It's always nice and exciting to be starting fresh. Plus, it looks like you're going to have a very comfortable environment for building.
Ohio Valley Railroads - Midwest Railroad News and History (with Photos too!)
  • 649 posts
Posted by AltoonaRailroader on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:21 AM

Oh man, if I had a room like that you'd never see me again. Still trying to convince the wife thatt I need to basement family room(when it's complete) to do an around the walls layout like that. So far it's a no go, but I have time to work on her.

Congrats on the room, looks like it's very spacious and well ventilated. good luck and keep us posted.

• 88 posts
Posted by denny99 on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:19 AM

Loco wrote:
Ok, hope this was not to big for everyone to down load. Might upload smaller photos to Bucket next time.  And of course I'll be taking ALL SORTS tips, ideas, thoughts you all might have.  I'll try to get the flooring done here and then I'll post up some starting given's and druthers.

Awesome train room! It's always thrilling to have a brand new space and begin planning :)

Can you give us just a sneak peak of your druthers? What scale, what era, what locale and railroad?

Denny Modeling the SP Coast Line in N scale in 1974
  • 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:19 AM

I am very excited.  It's heated/cooled with the rest of the house as the stair case opens from the downstairs living room.

Now I just have to figure out the track plan.... That's going to be a huge undertaking for me.  I'm really going to need some input from ya all.  Never done it.  Heck, maybe run a contest!  LOL, can you tell I'm just a big kid in a candy store. I've waited so long, been collecting and then just packing the stuff in blue bins.

And please, no worries on anyone who may have comments.  But like I mentioned, I'll get some more details posted up here soon.

LAte Loco
  • 551 posts
Posted by corsair7 on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:33 AM
 Loco wrote:

I am very excited.  It's heated/cooled with the rest of the house as the stair case opens from the downstairs living room.

Now I just have to figure out the track plan.... That's going to be a huge undertaking for me.  I'm really going to need some input from ya all.  Never done it.  Heck, maybe run a contest!  LOL, can you tell I'm just a big kid in a candy store. I've waited so long, been collecting and then just packing the stuff in blue bins.

And please, no worries on anyone who may have comments.  But like I mentioned, I'll get some more details posted up here soon.

Welcome to our world. Don't admit it to your wife, but we're all really big kids. Smile,Wink, & Grin [swg]

You've got a nice space that has lots of possibilites. What sacel are you going to be model railroading in?

I'm in N-Scale abd have been since 1978 or 1979. Unfortunately I hadn't done anything in it since 1987 until last May. Since then I've dismatled what used to be my layout and started a new one. Just finished the painting the walls and and about to strat putting the clouds on them.

All of us are looking forward to reading your posts.

Irv

• 3,130 posts
Posted by dstarr on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:04 PM

Good stuff.  I just got trains running in my new trainroom a couple of months ago.  It was the down stairs bed guest room/bed room and I wanted to allow for occasional guests, so I did a rather narrow around the room layout.  Bench work was 1/2" plywood panels with 3/4" pine frames around the edges, and 2 inch foam on top.  It is completely self supporting, hung on wall brackets.  I made the wall brackets up from 2*4 and plywood, held to the studs with sheet rock screws.   On the outside cinder block walls, bracket spacing is as wide as four feet, but the layout feels solid and doesn't wobble.  It's probably strong enough to stand on, but only probably. Being narrow, a foot stool on the floor gives me access everywhere in the room.    

The three doors (bathroom, closet, and hall) are crossed with lift out sections.  Lifting out and fitting back is tedious enough that I tend to leave them in place, resulting in a layout entered by a duck under.  Not ideal, but I have no better suggestions.  Layout height is 42" largely to clear a couple of pieces of furniture.  

For track planning, I relied heavily upon the classic "Track Planning for Realistic Operation " by John Armstrong.  It has marvelous ideas, practical methods of estimating what will fit, and graphs and tables for easements of curves, turnouts, and clearances. 

I located turnout controls and block toggle switches on the fascia for walk around operation. Ther is no central control panel.  I will buy or build a walk around throttle one of these days.  Right now I just hold an ordinary wired MRC power pack in one hand. 

Road bed is home made 1/4 inch pine.  I resawed ordinary 3/4" pine down to 1/4" on a bandsaw and beveled the edges with a router.  It holds track nails beautifully and will permit hand laying should I get that fancy.  Right now the entire layout is Code 100 flextrack, all used, picked up at train shows and yard sales. I just finished brush painting all the rail with Floquil rust to kill the nickel silver gleam.  Scenery and ballasting come next. 

Good luck on your effort.   

• 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:34 PM
Great room. I built 5 layouts over 50 years without a good room and none ever really ran or looked good. Now I also have a room, and it is ever fun. May you be the envy of all who read here, and may you enjoy the room as much as I have mine.
If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 966 posts
Posted by CSXDixieLine on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:00 PM
Wow you have a fantastic space there! You'll be happy with the laminate flooring; I installed it in the new basement 6 years ago and we love it. Just beware it will scratch a bit, so I would recommend placing protective padding under any benchwork legs that rest on the floor. Looking forward to watching your progress on this layout--be sure to post often! Jamie
  • 478 posts
Posted by tinman1 on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:07 PM
You didn't move your daughter to the garage did you???? It's looking like you have a great starting point to build "your "room.
Tom "dust is not weathering"
  • 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:34 PM

OK, let me get some basic data to ya all:

1.  Daughter has her own room...for now Wink [;)]

2.  Scale is HO

3.  I will be modeling Union Pacific during the transition era - freelance based on prototypical. Not sure on the exact dates yet.  But thinking anything pre-1960.  I have Big Boys, Challengers, GP 7 & 9's, EMD SD7's, F7's, PA's, SW7's, NW's, H15-44's, Veranda Turbines, a Coal Turbine, 0-6-6 Sadle switcher, and a few others I can't remember as they are boxed up still.

4.  Digitrax DCC.

5.  Would like to use Iowa Interstate and KCS as a branch/interchange line and thus the main would be in the midwest and running west.

6.  I’ve got some design elements in mind: a coal or ore mine/plant, John Deere plant, sock yard and a meat packing plant (Walthers Chapion Meat Packing), a engine servicing yard (I have a 132 Walthers turn table), a military base, a grain (Walthers ADM) plant, one city, and a smaller town, or two.

7.  Would like to have a two line main that can be looped for continuous running and also point to point.

8.  Thinking of a two shelfs, and or maybe a third for extra staging. And that means a helix.

9.  I like puzzle track works (if that makes any sence). I just joined a RR Club and they do alot of operations and it is KILLER fun.  So that's got to be included.  So with the track workings and running big steam, I've just about figured to use Fast Tracks for building turnouts.  They look killer and operations are key so I'll do what it takes for solid track preformance.

I want to do this first layout as best possible - taking all your insightfull recomindations and not making costly mistakes.  Not going to be penny wise and pound foolish.  If it takes longer for me save a few bucks to get the better item, so be it. 

Ok, well, that's about all I can think of right now.  Oh, most everything is up for debate so please don't hold back.  Former Military, the sharpest knife cuts the cleanest!

Here is a diorama I was working on a while back ((some of you might remember it))

LAte Loco
  • 86 posts
Posted by travon on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:05 PM
Great start on new room! I would paint those those wall sky blue and some white clouds on them before you go any further. Just my 2 cents
Travon Sacramento Valley RR in 1906, On30 DRG&W in 1890, Polar Express. If we ever forget that were one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.   -  Ronald Reagan
  • 3,290 posts
Posted by gandydancer19 on Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:19 PM

Nice room.  Use it wisely.  Maybe this will help you some. 

What I do for layout design (have done so far) is define my area and benchwork first. Next I decide on a theme. (Mainline running, with a branch line(?) or other special interests.) Then I put in a mainline. (I am fond of twice around the room types divided by scenery and grades.)

Since I have gotten into operations, I also have a staging area of some sort, whether it is a lay-over for entire trains, or a yard that simulates an interchange yard. One track in staging is a through track for continuous running. If I put cars on it, the layout becomes point to point for operations.

Next I try and determine how many small towns I can have, and possibility one city with a yard and loco facilities, without them crowding one another. Usually small yards and facilities unless I have the room for larger ones. I will try to fit in a way-side industry or two just for variation as long as it won't crowd things.

Then I go looking at plans for modular railroads. I look for ones that would make good towns or cities because their track plans are usually fairly compact, and most of the way they will be switched is already determined with a good track plan themselves.

Because I freelance, I don't worry about town and city names etc., but if you want to model a specific prototype, you can name the towns as the railroad you are modeling would, and build or plan you scenery to suite the area you want to model. Also, some of the industries that may be recognizable in a town you choose to name from a real one may have to be built or otherwise implied to achieve the "feeling" of the real town.

When building starts, I try and get all of the benchwork built first. Then plan where the towns will go and install the mainline to get some trains running. Then I work on one of the yards so I can store stuff when not running. Then I plug along on the other track work and scenery design and continue from there.

Hope this helps.

Elmer.

The above is my opinion, from an active and experienced Model Railroader in N scale and HO since 1961.

(Modeling Freelance, Eastern US, HO scale, in 1962, with NCE DCC for locomotive control and a stand alone LocoNet for block detection and signals.) http://waynes-trains.com/ at home, and N scale at the Club.

• 2,545 posts
Posted by Robby P. on Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:27 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet room.  You have alot of room to move around in.  Can't wait to see some future shots.

"Rust, whats not to love?"      

• 1,445 posts
Posted by johncolley on Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:50 AM
Me, too! But with a twist! I have an 8' x 28' front porch that was a mostly unused catchall that I have aquired dominion of. In process is building and installing stud panels, sheathing and windows to match the house, lighting, and underlayment flooring. Now comes the fun part... I do Free-mo Modules for big setup with others and here in the northwest we can run at 42" or 50" rail height. So, what I am doing is setting up 42" high modules along one wall and 50" high along the other. I have long wanted to try building a spline helix, which I now get to do at the blind end of the room to join both sets of modules so I can run actual trains at home, and still be able to take my modules to setups and shows! Actually it will be two splines, spacing is maintained with glued-in blocks so that the passing siding is 38"r. and the main line is 42 1/4" r. The side of the helix exposed to the room will be open mountainside along a river, and the rest will be tunnels. At Last, my own layout! jc5729 john Colley, Port Townsend, WA
jc5729
  • 649 posts
Posted by AltoonaRailroader on Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:35 PM
Very nice work Loco. And judging by your diorama work I think your layout will be very cool. Good luck and keep those pictures coming.
  • 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:04 PM

Here is my very basic and preliminary around the walls design.  Taken me a while to get the hang of using a cad program.  No yards yet, but I did put in an interchange into the alcove.  It will be a sight duck-under, but I'm good with that.  I'm thinking of putting in an oval helix within the peninsula to get more main line.  The yard would seem natural to be located on the south wall.  But heck, what do I know, never done any of this before!!!

LAte Loco
  • 1,284 posts
Posted by wickman on Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:12 PM

Nice size room to start with. preliminary track plan looks good as well , I like the wye. Plan gives you lots of opportunity for scenery as well for adding in the industry spurs.

Someone mentioned painting walls blue with tinge of white for horizon , great idea , I did it the hard way and had to paint afterward.

• 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Friday, October 17, 2008 4:48 PM

We have had just great weather here in the midwest these last few weeks - clear beautiful skies so I went out and took several photos from the horizon up through the zenith.   Also went to the paint store and selected several paint samples to see what it will look like inside the room.  I am going take everyone's advice and at least get a basic sky up but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about lighting!  I only have a ceiling fan with four bulbs in there at the moment.  That's not going to cut it.  If I match the sky photos with the paint samples will it really change much if I do some addional lighting later??

LAte Loco
  • 966 posts
Posted by CSXDixieLine on Friday, October 17, 2008 5:28 PM

Loco
If I match the sky photos with the paint samples will it really change much if I do some addional lighting later??

The paint colors will appear a bit different as you add additional lights since they will provide additional illumination and brighten the overall appearance of the backdrop. However, what will really change the appearance of your backdrop colors is what type of lights you end up using. For example, you state that right now you have a ceiling fan with four bulbs. Assuming these are typical incandescent bulbs, your backdrop will look different--possibly much different--if the layout lighting you install is not the same as your ceiling fan lights, say fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). This is why I highly recommend deciding on the layout lighting, installing at least a fixture or two, and then use that lighting to view your sky photos and color samples side-by-side (with all other room lights off that will not be on when you operate the layout). This will give you the truest match and will insure the sky appears as you would expect it to once you have all of the backdrops painted and layout lighting installed.

If you want to see an example of how the colors can vary widely under different types of lights, go to the nearest home improvement paint department. They usually have some little cubby holes in the paint displays that allow you to stick the color chips in and see how they differ under different types of incandescents and fluorescents. While I would not use this for making actual color choices (those little cubby holes are just too small and get affected by the overhead lights in the store), it is useful for seeing how different colors actually look under different lighting types.

The reason I have so much info on this right now is because I am currently preparing my backdrops for painting just as you seem to be. In fact, I have about three dozen blue paint chip sample cards just to the left of my laptop right now as I type this Smile I can also tell you that I am using CFL lighting for my layout. Originally I was using "soft white" color CFL bulbs but later switched to the "daylight" variety. I am thankful I did all of this before chosing the backdrop colors, because the difference in color is significant. The soft whites were very yellow/red in color, while the daylight provide cleaner bluish light closer to natural daylight (hence the name). This can be clearly seen in photos I took of the layout with both types of CFLs. Also, today I purchased and started reading the new Model Railroader book "Painting Backdrops for Your Model Railroad," which I really like so far and talks quite a bit about color selection and usage.

Normally I don't run this long, but this stuff is currently right at the top of my layout to-do list. Hope it helps you out!

Jamie

• 82 posts
Posted by njtaxland on Friday, October 17, 2008 8:51 PM

that is some "new" train room. I can only dream about that one. I have to ask is that room above the garage or where is it? I see a dehumindiffyer there so I gather you have a moisture problem? I have my layout in the basement and I have to have it the, dehuminfifer running almost all the time. Good luck with that room and the fancy floor..

• 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Friday, October 17, 2008 11:23 PM

Jamie... Your killing me... I just got the "Designing & Building Multi-Deck" book in the mail today.  Couldn't deside, had to filp a coin for this months book allotment Big Smile  And I figured the lights would play a bit of havok.  But here is my line of thinking, if I get the daylight bulbs put into the ceiling fan, and then set up a few foor stand (just temps) then that should get me in the ball bark.

LAte Loco
  • 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Friday, October 17, 2008 11:29 PM
Njtaxland, The room it is upstairs above the main part of the house.  I just run the dehumidifier every now and then when it gets up 99.999% out there.  We keep the whole house at @72-76 with about 60-70% humidity.  I'll try to post up a bit more detail schematic, but it's slow going, thanks for the comments and feel free to say or suggest any thoughts.
LAte Loco
  • 732 posts
Posted by Javern on Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:03 AM

looks like a great room

• 966 posts
Posted by CSXDixieLine on Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:36 AM

Loco

Jamie... Your killing me... I just got the "Designing & Building Multi-Deck" book in the mail today.  Couldn't deside, had to filp a coin for this months book allotment Big Smile  And I figured the lights would play a bit of havok.  But here is my line of thinking, if I get the daylight bulbs put into the ceiling fan, and then set up a few foor stand (just temps) then that should get me in the ball bark.

Haha...I must have flipped the same coin and came up tails to your heads! That book looks like a good one too; I used a lot of what Tony has written in MR in the design of my layout. And yes you are correct in that using the future bulbs in your current fixtures will result in correct color, though you will want do check your paint chips at about the same distance from the lights that the backdrop will be located from the eventual fixtures you choose. Jamie

• 15 posts
Posted by Dakota Northern on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:16 AM

Hey Loco,

You may want to check this out with an Electrician you know or your friends know to see if it is kosher.I have removed the light fixture and replaced it with a regular outlet.  Then I can plug in anything I want.You can use two flourescent fixtures, or more in series, and connect them and run a wire through to each unit.  You can also run conduit (the stuff that has a base and cover) to where your lights need to go.

Dakota Northern

My layout is named the Dakota Northern. I grew up in Hosmer, South Dakota, enjoyed watching the old Ten Wheelers of the Chicago Milwaukee St Paul and Pacific stop in my home town, north at 10 AM and south at 4 PM. Rode a passenger train from Roscoe to Aberdeen SD at age 12. My great grandparents came to Eureka SD to homestead land at Hosmer in 1892, rode on the CMSt P & P (Milwaukee Road).
  • 947 posts
Posted by HHPATH56 on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:42 AM

Hi Loco,

Glad to see that you finally have your own train room.  I am also one of the lucky ones with an inside stairway to my 24'x24' garage loft layout.  One of the first things that you have to consider is if you are going to paint sky on the walls. I also have a sloping ceiling on two sides of the room.  As you can see in the enclosed photo, showing HO in front of an N scale loop of track.  I used continuous sections of SceniKing for the background and matched the color of the sky that I painted above it.  My sloping ceiling,      ( which starts at the top of the photo),, is covered with acoustic suspended ceiling tiles. My lighting consists of ten double tube shop lights, which,(of course), cannot be dimmed. Get you lighting in first, and plan on plug-in outlets on the fascia, or, on the legs of the layout. Incidentally, what sort of support structure are you planning?  Are you going to drill holes to screw down legs, or what ? Make sure that the layout is strong enough to support your weight.  I really like the sloping ceiling's, forced perspective effect. You are going to have to be extra careful with plaster and screws, with a finished floor. I will also include a picture of my Walther's stock yard and meat packing plant.   Bob Hahn

• 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:40 AM

Dakota Northern, Bob, thanks for the comments. Been thinking about lighting and painting - I've gotten enough feed back on both to put them on the top of the list before I start the bench work.  With the way lighting effects everything, guess that will be my first line item.  I can pull the fan out, I’m ok doing electrical work.  Then I was thinking of running track lighting in a basic “around the ceilings”.  (another suggestion from a board member) That would allow me to position the fixtures as needed, having them movable would be a handy for actual work, would lend itself to greater flexibility for taking photos, and then highlighting certain elements on the layout.  Yes, they might put off a bit more heat, but I think I can control that well enough.  My other “to do” in this vein would be to increase the breaker.  Go with a 20 amp or such.
For the sky;  The sloping ceilings will get painted a base coat of deep sky blue fading to white to simulate the distant horizon.  Then I'll just fill in as needed with backdrop, clouds and such.  One question, what color would you all suggest the top of the ceiling be?  White?  Black?

Oh, that champion meat packing plant with stock yards is sweet, going to have plenty of beef on my layout!

The benchwork build out is something I'm not really "worried" about.  No learning curve to speak, not like the fricking layout design using cad and such.  Have outlets on all the walls.  Put in cable and a phone jack too Big Smile 

LAte Loco
  • 96 posts
Posted by kbaker329 on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 12:28 PM

Room looks great!  Now just get the backdrop, benchwork, trackwork, wiring and scenery done so we can see more pictures of those turbines!!!

Keith Baker

HO scale modeling N&W and Union Pacific, somewhere in Missouri between 1940 & 1990!
  • 520 posts
Posted by Loco on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:24 PM

Hey there Keith!  Oh, and I never remember to check them darn private messages!

Anyway, about the rock painting on the Dio,  I don't really know what to tell ya, just make some and start painting with washes and such.  Them where my first I had ever done, sort of just slopped it on and if it didn't look right, wash, rinse, and repeat.....  We got some great examples of rock around here... Sometimes I'll take the family on "nature walks" as an excuse to get some great outdoor photos....hehehehe  But ya know, it's amazing when you really start to LOOK at things. 

I haven't worked on the Dio for a good long while now but here is a shot.... Again the first one is taken outside and the HW passenger is indoors....

LAte Loco

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all