Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Who makes Alco RSD-1 in HO scale?

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 49 posts
Posted by dima on Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:38 PM
  • 1,939 posts
Posted by marknewton on Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:20 AM
No-one makes one in plastic, if that's what you're after. I seem to recall a brass model from way back, although I'm not 100% certain about that.

Assuming you want the hood version and not the ARR cab unit, you could kitbash one from an RS-1, a NSWGR 40 class cab, and some three-axle trucks with new frames.

Cheers,

Mark.
  • 1,055 posts
Posted by PA&ERR on Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:40 AM

You could try matching an Atlas RS-1 shell with their RS-4/5 frame and trucks. Then it would be a simple matter of tapering the cab a little where it meets the cruved roof section.

-George

"And the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers ride their father's magic carpet made of steel..."

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:50 AM

You could try matching an Atlas RS-1 shell with their RS-4/5 frame and trucks. Then it would be a simple matter of tapering the cab a little where it meets the cruved roof section.

-George

The trucks would be all wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RSD-1.jpg You''d have to cobble up new truck side frames and it appears the axle spacing is closer the the RSC-2 than to the RSD-4/5.

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.
  • 49 posts
Posted by dima on Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:13 AM

Thanks guys!

I didn't realize most of those engines ended up in Soviet Union, I thought some were used here hence I thought someone made a model. 

• 1,475 posts
Posted by New Haven I-5 on Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:20 AM
 I thought someone did too! A RSC-2 could work if you toy with the shell.

- Luke

Modeling the Southern Pacific in the 1960's-1980's

• 1,055 posts
Posted by PA&ERR on Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:36 AM
 andrechapelon wrote:

-George

The trucks would be all wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RSD-1.jpg You''d have to cobble up new truck side frames and it appears the axle spacing is closer the the RSC-2 than to the RSD-4/5.

Andre

I know it wouldn't be exact, but I was thinking "close enough" would better than doing without. Wink [;)]

Giving the feel of the locomotive without going to extremes.

-George

"And the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers ride their father's magic carpet made of steel..."

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all