Trains.com

Guess what I found?

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 248 posts
Guess what I found?
Posted by Dr.Fu-Manchu on Sunday, January 7, 2007 3:30 AM

Evil [}:)] The Doctor is In ! I won a #2500 series Vista Dome car on Ebay.  I was unpacking it and as I was looking it over I heard something inside. I am thinking "foam packing" So, I unscrew the screws off one end and found the following item: "This article was inspected at the Factory and found in perfect operating condition. Inspected by 5051 R.C.  The Lionel Corporation  Factory & Service Department  28 Sager Place Irvington, N.J.   It was a salmon pink Inspection slip! It seems it never was removed by it's first owner. Oh, and the name plates are held on with hex screws. I am putting toghther a Streamliner set (because I never had on as a child) and the first one I found at the last TCA meeting. (it was an orphan) I also got lucky on Ebay when I bought the baggage car. The seller gave me a obsevation car(no trucks) as a bonus. (he did not want to throw it out) Two Pullmans to go.If someone is looking for a fixer-uper streamliner car, I might part with it for a good price.  Let's hear about any other "finds" out there.

Till My Next Missive, I Remain The Humble Yet Strangly Evil Doctor!

• 1,404 posts
Posted by daan on Sunday, January 7, 2007 3:35 AM
Lucky you, just keep the inspection card with the car! Ebay isn't that bad..
Daan. I'm Dutch, but only by country...
  • 456 posts
Posted by darianj on Sunday, January 7, 2007 6:00 AM
Sounds like a pretty good find!Thumbs Up [tup]
There's light at the end of the tunnel.... It's a Train! http://www.tmbmodeltrainclub.com
  • 15,416 posts
Posted by ChiefEagles on Sunday, January 7, 2007 7:57 AM
Nice find. 

God bless TCA 05-58541   Benefactor Member of the NRA,  Member of the American Legion,   Retired Boss Hog of Roseyville Laugh,   KC&D QualifiedCowboy       

• 10,096 posts
Posted by lionelsoni on Sunday, January 7, 2007 9:38 AM
Does everyone know the story of the Sager Place observation car?  It was a Madison car, number 2626, in the 1946 advance catalog, but not made until 1991, as number 19018.

Bob Nelson

• 2,072 posts
Posted by 1688torpedo on Sunday, January 7, 2007 4:44 PM
Hello All!  The Sager Observation car that Bob speaks of was originally planned for the 1941 product line & was never made as Lionel by then was manufacturing war material to help out Britain & our Allies & then Pearl Harbor happened & the project was put on the back burner so to speak. The Sager name came from one Oscar Sager who was a World War One Veteran who hailed from Irvington,NJ  & since the Lionel Factory was on Sager Place in Irvington this is how they chose the name Sager Place for the Observation Car. Dr. Fu Manchu- Sounds like a nice find you've got there & a piece of history as well as many of the Inspection Slips got thrown out over the years. Take Care.
Keith Woodworth........Seat Belts save lives,Please drive safely.
  • 5,707 posts
Posted by wrmcclellan on Sunday, January 7, 2007 9:22 PM

Neat find Dr! Good to hear from you - it has been a while.

Regards, Roy

• 1,821 posts
Posted by underworld on Sunday, January 7, 2007 9:26 PM

Congratulations Evil Dr.!!!!!! Bow [bow]

Quite a great find!!!!!

underworldBig Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

currently on Tour with Sleeper Cell myspace.com/sleepercellrock Sleeper Cell is @ Checkers in Bowling Green Ohio 12/31/2009 come on out to the party!!! we will be shooting more video for MTVs The Making of a Metal Band
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 8, 2007 6:32 AM
 Dr.Fu-Manchu wrote:

Evil [}:)] The Doctor is In ! I won a #2500 series Vista Dome car on Ebay.  I was unpacking it and as I was looking it over I heard something inside. I am thinking "foam packing" So, I unscrew the screws off one end and found the following item: "This article was inspected at the Factory and found in perfect operating condition. Inspected by 5051 R.C.  The Lionel Corporation  Factory & Service Department  28 Sager Place Irvington, N.J.   It was a salmon pink Inspection slip! It seems it never was removed by it's first owner. Oh, and the name plates are held on with hex screws. I am putting toghther a Streamliner set (because I never had on as a child) and the first one I found at the last TCA meeting. (it was an orphan) I also got lucky on Ebay when I bought the baggage car. The seller gave me a obsevation car(no trucks) as a bonus. (he did not want to throw it out) Two Pullmans to go.If someone is looking for a fixer-uper streamliner car, I might part with it for a good price.  Let's hear about any other "finds" out there.

Till My Next Missive, I Remain The Humble Yet Strangly Evil Doctor!

Dr,
I had taken my #50 Gang Car in for service just before Christmas.  As I'm standing at the counter explaining what I wanted done to it, a little piece of paper falls onto the counter... an inspection slip!  I was floored!  I now have a MINT all original #50 Gang Car, MINT original Box, MINT original instructions, AND a MINT inspection slip!  I bought this car for $25.00 about 8 years ago at a train show.

Not too shabby!

Big Smile [:D]

BTW - Congrats on your find as well!

Brent

• 8,059 posts
Posted by cnw1995 on Monday, January 8, 2007 9:16 AM
Lucky for you, Brent! What a neat story about the Sager car.

Doug Murphy 'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...' Henry V.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Classic Toy Trains newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month