Trains.com

Amtrak Phases

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2 posts
Amtrak Phases
Posted by KenMasters1 on Sunday, December 31, 2006 12:33 AM
Hello all I am new to the model rail road scene and if some one can expalin the differences in the Amtrak phases. Are they from time frames or somthing like that ? Please I need a little guidence.
  • 712 posts
Posted by two tone on Sunday, December 31, 2006 4:41 AM
If you can give a bit more info we may be able to help youSmile [:)]

Age is only a state of mind, keep the mind active and enjoy life

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Sunday, December 31, 2006 7:30 PM
I hope this will help explain things for you.  Below are images of the major passenger car schemes using baggage cars created by a friend of mine for Microsoft Train Simulator (a computer game). 

Phase 1 (I)

The first true Amtrak scheme.  It consisted of wide red and blue stripes with small white pin stripes.  The "pointless" arrow in a white background adorned the ends.  The era for this scheme is 1972 to the late 70's.

Phase 2 (II)

Identical to phase I with the removal of the "pointless" arrows.  Late 70's to early 80's.

Phase 3 (III)

My favorite of the schemes.  This consisted of roughly equal red white and blue stripes.  Early 80's to mid 1990's.

Phase 4 (IV)

Debuting with the Superliner II's around 1994, this scheme featured small red and white pin stripes above a wide dark blue stripe.  1994 to mid 2000's 

Phase 4b (IVb) 

Somewhat similar to phase IV.  The dark blue stripe color was lightened, and a red safety stripe was added to the bottom of the car.  The new "3 sheets to the wind" logo was added and the long time standard Helvetica font changed to Frutiger.  Mid 2000's to the present.

These 5 cover the basic system wide paint for Amtrak passenger cars.  Of course there are other schemes like Acela, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, and Amtrak California...but these are not system wide and are used on regional trains. 

For more info visit these links:

Link 1

Link 2

Matt from Anaheim, CA and Bayfield, CO
Click Here for my model train photo website

• 2 posts
Posted by KenMasters1 on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 11:05 AM
Thank you so much. That was a great help. I got back in to Model railroading for my son. He is now 4 months old all this info is for him later. Thanks again!!!!!!!!! 
  • 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Wednesday, January 3, 2007 4:46 PM
Always good to see new Amtrak modelers...but 4 months old, now has to be a record Smile,Wink, & Grin [swg]  Then again, I was only 5 months old when I took my first long distance Amtrak ride on the then all brand new Superliner equipped Empire Builder in May of 1980.  Glad I could help.

Matt from Anaheim, CA and Bayfield, CO
Click Here for my model train photo website

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, January 5, 2007 8:05 AM

Matt,

Thanks for that information on the different Amtrak Paint Scheme phases.  I had a general idea on the changes over the years but your post cleared it up.

J.R.

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy