Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

I'm so disappointed the new space for the layout didn't materialize. (Large Picture Warning).

13 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 8,639 posts
I'm so disappointed the new space for the layout didn't materialize. (Large Picture Warning).
Posted by Texas Zepher on Friday, December 8, 2006 5:10 PM

Due to no fault of my own, after almost two years of paperwork and planning the location for my model railroad museum fell through this week.   One of the other parties failed to exercise their contract.  To make a long story short: Unknown to me, was that among other things my "first right of refusal" to the property was contengent on their contract in addition to my own.  So my wonderful school house with a gymnasium for a layout space is now sold to another party.   I don't know how hard it will be to find another that is as perfect as this one.    If anyone knows of school districts selling old schools please let me know.

Here is the front of the one that got away:

whimper.

• 3,232 posts
Posted by GMTRacing on Friday, December 8, 2006 5:32 PM
Ironically some of the best places to look are along old railroad right of ways or along lines still in use but carrying no or drastically fewer passengers. The best partners in such an endeavor would be a railroad museum (1:1) or other local historical group. Many un-used depots exist that are now owned by the municipalities where they are located and can be purchased or leased at very favorable rates since most people do not want to be near noisy trains. Hope that helps.  J.R.
  • 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Friday, December 8, 2006 5:52 PM

GMTRacing wrote:
Many un-used depots exist that are now owned by the municipalities where they are located and can be purchased or leased at very favorable rates since most people do not want to be near noisy trains.
Thanks for the thoughts.  However, I've found most pre-existing railroad stations are too small for a decent sized layout, let alone a museum.   I have found several such stations.

I found and rejected both of these among others:
Kiowa Kansas (now razed).  Of course it was in seriously bad condition, but had it not been so far from home (9 hours) I would have liked to save it any way.

Florence Kansas.

Even with the freight houses I could have fit both of these inside the school.

• 627 posts
Posted by exPalaceDog on Friday, December 8, 2006 6:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

But the Old Dog must observe, that the building may be back on the market when the new owner gets the first heating bill. Mountain weather and old heating plants are a bad mix. Also, unless you have a good deal of help, building and maintaining such a large layout might turn into a nightmare.

You might want to look around for an old neighood market with living quarters up stairs. The supermarkets have put many them out of business. You could use the old show room for the layout and live up stairs. Plus the smaller project would be easier to handle.

Have fun, and good luck.

• 7,982 posts
Posted by pcarrell on Friday, December 8, 2006 6:36 PM
I almost bought an old church to live in a couple of months ago.  That would probably work for your purposes, wouldn't it?  You could add a second floor to the main sanctuary and get double the floor space.
Philip
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, December 8, 2006 6:57 PM

Instead of crying in your beer up here, why don't you design a layout that you can realistically finish in your lifetime and put it in a reasonable size basement like all the rest of us?????

I would love to have a room about 20'x 30' to re-build my short line instead of the small L-Shaped layout I now have. But at least I can finish this layout in a short amount of time and have a bunch of fun doing it. And then I can operate on it and have another bunch of fun.

Bigger is not always better!!!!!

cf7

• 2,268 posts
Posted by NeO6874 on Friday, December 8, 2006 7:09 PM

TZ was planning on using the school building as a MUSEUM as well as a layout space. 

Assuming this endeavor did actually take off, I'm willing to bet that TZ would have either hired help, or run the large layout much like a club layout.

I do not believe that the entire endeavor was going to be a solo-project.

Keep at it TZ - you'll find something for your museum. 

-Dan

Builder of Bowser steam! Railimages Site

• 108 posts
Posted by Gwedd on Friday, December 8, 2006 7:16 PM
 cf7 wrote:

Instead of crying in your beer up here, why don't you design a layout that you can realistically finish in your lifetime and put it in a reasonable size basement like all the rest of us?????

I would love to have a room about 20'x 30' to re-build my short line instead of the small L-Shaped layout I now have. But at least I can finish this layout in a short amount of time and have a bunch of fun doing it. And then I can operate on it and have another bunch of fun.

Bigger is not always better!!!!!

cf7

So, let me get this straight here. What you are saying is that folks actually FINISH a layout within thier own lifetime?  You have witnessed this???????

Hmmmm.... now I have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Actually FINISHING a layout.... my local dealer certainly won't want to hear about that. No sirree. Nope. Not t'all. Neither will the lumber yard nor the hardware store. heck, I suspect I'm supporting two of their summer hires as it is!

So, just for arguments sake here, let's suppose I was actually to FINISH my layout. Then what am I supposed to do? Run trains or something? I mean, who has time to actually RUN TRAINS on a layout? There's always something to paint, or sculpt, or track to lay, or hardware to buy, or wires to solder, connections to check, and I haven't even gotten to spending time online at the train forums, or hanging out at the LHS discussing the relative merits of the whoozis versus the whatsis!

And forget about all the DCC upgrades and downloads and mods that Tony Koestler demands I have to make my layout  more prototypical for "operations"! Heck, the MR editors would have a coniption if I FINISHED my layout, 'cause I wouldn't need anymore how-to articles!

Nope, Nope.... can't finish it. Why if'n I were to finish the darned thing, then the wife would expect me to do stuff with her, like church, and literary society meetings, and PTA converences, and all that falderal. Heaven'e to Betsy, man! That unfinished layout is what's keeping me OUT of all that socializing stuff with her. If the layout gets FINISHED, then I AM FINISHED. At least free-time wise....

Sigh...... NEVER let anyone know you're FINISHED with a layout. They'll suddenly have all sorts of things for you to do.....

Man, you scared me with that thought. I'll have ta go breath in a paper bag for awhile ta calm down... :)

Respects,

• 4,000 posts
Posted by jecorbett on Friday, December 8, 2006 8:03 PM
I would second the motion to look for an old church. In my area, it is not uncommon to find them for sale. Around 2000 I was looking for a retirement home and I know there were 3 or 4 that came on the market a two county area. I considered buying one before ultimately deciding to build my current home. Most of the ones I saw were small churches but even those had huge open areas for a great layout. Don't give up on your dream. Keep looking.
  • 7,652 posts
Posted by rrebell on Friday, December 8, 2006 8:19 PM
Instead of fixing up an old building have you concidered building one, If you use standard parts it can be quite cheap (steal frame ) and by insulating better than standard you may, over time save big bucks $$$$$$ on heating ect., remember that layouts and and such don't need hardwood floors or as many windows and you may be able to combine efforts with another group as adding a floor in conparison to the original ( three stories instead of two ) is less expencive.
  • 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Saturday, December 9, 2006 10:40 AM

pcarrell wrote:
I almost bought an old church to live in a couple of months ago.  That would probably work for your purposes, wouldn't it?  You could add a second floor to the main sanctuary and get double the floor space.
Yes, I have been considering old stations, churches, hotels, old department stores, even one monistary.  Churches are usually smaller than schools though.

exPalaceDog wrote:
the building may be back on the market when the new owner gets the first heating bill. Mountain weather and old heating plants are a bad mix.
Yes, that and severa other things could happen to bring it back onto the market.  I have people watching it for me.

You might want to look around for an old neighood market with living quarters up stairs. The supermarkets have put many them out of business. You could use the old show room for the layout and live up stairs. 
Yes exactly, the 3rd floor of the school house was also to be our primary residence.

cf7 wrote:
why don't you design a layout that you can realistically finish in your lifetime and put it in a reasonable size basement like all the rest of us?????

Actually some good thoughts, but shows a single view of the hobby.  To the first point - been there done that. I've built and razed many complete layouts, I've built many for other people.  I am looking for a final place where I won't have to tear down what I build, and where I can share what I build - even if I am not the one to continue (finish) it.  Further, I don't want to run out of space.  Just because one has that much space nothing says the layout has to fill it.  It will start with a much smaller layout - in fact I had started liking the idea of having an indoor half basket ball court.  Another thing about the museum part is that I already have enough stuff for exhibits to fill a lot of it.   I would much rather store it displayed rather than in boxes in rented storage units. 

jecorbett wrote:
I would second the motion to look for an old church. ...Don't give up on your dream. Keep looking.
As I said above churches are definitely on the list.  Thanks I won't, I believe, in the Christian sense of the word, it might be my "calling" or "mission".

rrebell wrote:
Instead of fixing up an old building have you concidered building one, If you use standard parts it can be quite cheap (steal frame ) and by insulating better than standard you may, over time save big bucks $$$$$$ on heating ect., remember that layouts and and such don't need hardwood floors or as many windows and you may be able to combine efforts with another group as adding a floor in conparison to the original ( three stories instead of two ) is less expencive.
Yes, I have.   Good ideas, but compared to the price of this structure a new one wasn't even in the same ball park.    I do want the exterior to be a bit more classy than looking like the outside of an industrial building.  ...  
  • 627 posts
Posted by exPalaceDog on Saturday, December 9, 2006 10:57 AM

Texas Zepher, you might want to look at this page. Rrebell has made a great suggestion.

http://www.mymidwesthome.com/listingM70.shtml

This firm probably does not do business in your area, but their page shows would is available in the modular home market.

The Pembrooke Model Number 29 includes a 14 by 28 game room. It also can be built on a basement.

The Big Foot Model Number 14 could be modified by leaving some walls out to get a 14 by 62 foot train room. Again, it can be built on a basement.

The Astro Model Number  could provide a 14 by 72 stand allow train room. One could then use one of the other designs for living quarters and link them with breeze way. For example the Big Foot has four bedrooms. One could use one for a model RR workbench, one for an office/ computer room/ library and still have a guest bedroom.

http://www.behmdesign.com/garageplans/WAcatD.html

The above site shows what may be available for garages. One could build one for a train room. Or actually use one as a garage. Maybe include a carpentry shop and spray booth in the back.

Have fun

• 743 posts
Posted by brothaslide on Saturday, December 9, 2006 11:46 AM

Hang in there - it's a "minor" setback.  An oppurtunity will present itself soon enough.  You might want to consider new construction.  I hear these adds for "The General" steel buildings all the time on the radio.  That might be worth looking into.  That way you can design the whole thing from the ground up rather than retrofit to an exsisting building.

Can you tell us more about the museum that you are trying to build?

Good luck!

• 627 posts
Posted by exPalaceDog on Saturday, December 9, 2006 2:47 PM

Come to think about this site offers an additional option.

http://www.railmerchants.net/index.htm

Putting a layout in an old RR cars would be an interesting if expensive option.

Have fun

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all