Trains.com

RJ Corman & Central New York

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1 posts
RJ Corman & Central New York
Posted by afleetcommand on Sunday, April 3, 2022 1:00 PM

Curious on opinions, seems like they are a short line that is growing. AND sounds like the ex leased by NYSW SD60's (NYS&W 3804,8,10 etc.) are headed RJ Corman's Way.

With their purchases of the little "Harford" line and a few in Northern PA, Where will they look to expand next?

We have the Ithaca Central ( Salt trains from Cargil ), Fingerlakes RR, and a few others. NYS&W is effectively owned by NS & CSX.

thoughts?

• 10,818 posts
Posted by mudchicken on Thursday, April 7, 2022 3:19 PM

They've been around for a good while, branching out from their heavy contractor and derailment contractor beginnings out of Kentucky. Their shortline holdings fit into the company's national business model that goes beyond just operating railroads and cleaning up behind them.

Certainly a more ethical group than A&K and willing to advance their operating railroads as a going concern (but not always successful)...

Rick Corman was an interesting go-getter.

Mudchicken Nothing is worth taking the risk of losing a life over. Come home tonight in the same condition that you left home this morning in. Safety begins with ME.... cinscocom-west
  • 2,628 posts
Posted by Backshop on Thursday, April 7, 2022 3:48 PM

mudchicken

Rick Corman was an interesting go-getter.

"interesting" is an interesting term.  I know someone who worked directly for him.  He didn't shed a tear when he passed away.

• 4,817 posts
Posted by Ulrich on Thursday, April 7, 2022 4:06 PM

Rick Corman strikes me as someone who had stepped out of the pages of "Atlas Shrugged". 

• 7,170 posts
Posted by samfp1943 on Wednesday, April 13, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote user="Ulrich"]

Rick Corman strikes me as someone who had stepped out of the pages of "Atlas Shrugged". 

[/quote]   Richard J. Corman was  quite a guy...RJ as he seemed to be known, by not only his employees, but by those who worked around him, and with him, in the business he founded, and put his life into.

Linked here is a pretty complete corporate history and time-line for the Corman railroad group. and some of the highlights of their accomplishments:

Linked @ https://www.rjcorman.com/about/history

After reading their information, I was struck by one piece of informtion that did not appear.... What had happened to "Old Smoky" ??    [ Remember, it was one of the Chinese QJ's [ a 2-10-2] that was brought here around 2007/08...as one of three engines purchased by Railroad Development Corp. of Pittsburgh.]  

Rick Corman had purchased 'Old Smokey' for use as puiblicity magnet fr his Diner Train and raillines. It made its'first run in May 2008.   Corman had it housed in an all-glass structure  for its display.  It, and its display structure have been donated to The Kentucky Steam Heritage Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9n-Lf6XIY, @ Irvine Ky. its new permanent home. 

See @ You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9n-Lf6XIY

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy