Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Best social media sites?

29 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 5 posts
Best social media sites?
Posted by New2Trains17 on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:03 PM

Full of questions: What are you favorite social media sites to meet and chat with other model railroaders? Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Google? Or other discussion boards like this one? Great blogs?The options seem endless, so I figured you would be able to tell me the best and the most popular.

What about the NMRA vs TCA? Both seem to be the most popular groups to join. I'm interested to hear feedback on all of the above!

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:16 PM

I use Facebook and Yahoo Groups.  I don't really chat with any other model railroaders on Facebook.  I use it mostly to stay connected with my friends.  I do have Athearn, Walthers, and Exactrail as favorites on there and I will occasionally send product ideas on their company pages.

Will

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:07 PM

I spend enough time here and at six other fora that I don't have time for other forms of social interaction.  I also have a 'thing' against facebook and twitting and blogging.  I get what I want out of this, and then I have other things to do around my property.

-Crandell

• 1,813 posts
Posted by YoHo1975 on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:32 PM
I use Facebook and one other forum.

I'm also on the PNWR and (was on)protolance Yahoo groups, but those are very specific niches that I use that for.

Aside from the occasional rail photo album and friending a few industry and fan pages, I don't really do any MR/Railfanning networking on Facebook.

• 5 posts
Posted by New2Trains17 on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:36 PM

Ook I see facebook isn't that popular (I recently graduated college so that is one of my default sites). What are the other forums you guys recommend?

• 299 posts
Posted by JSperan on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:26 PM

New2Trains17

Ook I see facebook isn't that popular (I recently graduated college so that is one of my default sites). What are the other forums you guys recommend?

I don't use any of the chat or twit sites but do visit a couple forums.  To find the other one just Google "FREE model railroad magazine" and choose the first hit.

• 1,813 posts
Posted by YoHo1975 on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:43 PM

I recommend trainboard.com.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:35 PM

There is no best, only what works best for you.

I belong to nine Yahoo DCC groups. There are Spammers there also. I joined the Yahoo forums back in 1998 and the Yahoo email address Spam folder gets more Spam as time goes on.

Bachmann forums.

Trainboard.com

Facebook is a swamp. Loaded with Hackers and Spammers that get the clueless. Facebook is looking for the clueless to post as much info about themselves as they can.

The longer I am in the Trains.com forums, the more Spam that shows up in the email address i use only for these forums. There are Spammers and Hackers in these forums also looking for as much info as they can get.

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:39 PM

I like this one a lot--it's my primary choice--but my other choice would definitely be Trainboard.com.  Actually, quite a few of us are over on that site, also, and it has one thing that I like a lot:  One can talk to other modelers who model a specific prototype. 

But there's also a great deal of information available here on the three major forum divisions.

Tom Smile

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:21 AM

selector

I also have a 'thing' against facebook and twitting and blogging.  -Crandell

I started a post, then deleted it, thinking it might be too nasty, saying about the same thing, only longer. SO I will say it shortly: I have a "thing" against facebook, twitter, myspace, blogging, etc also. I don't like the fact that peolple get scammed, cheated, robbed, and in other ways have their lives ruined by/on such sites. Nor do i need to be A "tweet" on Twitter to know exactly what someone is doing at any given moment. The stars and famous people HAVE TO HAVE some paid staff to help them with all their "tweets". NOr do I want to "tweet" what Im doing at any given moment. I don;t even like Craig's list or E-bay. Too many people get burned there that I hear about, or see on the news.

I stick here, { Bachmann site, and  a few other MRR places} -  where if I want to share parts of my life, I can in the Diner or the Beer Barn where it is a compassionate place and not a scam market, otherwise it is all about MRRing.

Just my My 2 cents

-G .

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences. Others may vary.

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:34 AM

My number one choice to "socialize" is this forum - in fact, it is the only place, where I socialize. On the platform of a common interest, I have met an extraordinary bunch of people, whom I´d be certainly calling dear friends if we ´d ever met in the real world. I am also a member of some other forums, which are also strictly MRR related, but I visit these only to share infos on tips&tricks and techniques.

I will definitively stay out of places like Facebook, Twitter and what else there is around - their seriousness is too questionable for me.

• 102 posts
Posted by dkawala on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:45 AM

Hi everyone,

If you do use Facebook, you can check out Model Railroader's page at

http://www.facebook.com/ModelRailroader.

Have a good day,

Dana

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:56 AM

dkawala

Hi everyone,

Have a good day,

Dana

Heads up for the Facebook users.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100601/ts_alt_afp/usitcompanycomputersecurityinternetfacebook_20100601213556

Rich

[edited by selector]

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:41 AM

richg1998

dkawala

Hi everyone,

Have a good day,

Dana

Heads up for the Facebook users.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100601/ts_alt_afp/usitcompanycomputersecurityinternetfacebook_20100601213556

Rich

[edited by selector]

I have seen something like this on my Facebook profile from a friend of mine.  His account got hacked into and started sending these messages to everyone.  He later fixed.

I understand what you all are saying about potentially being hacked into and all.  The problem that most people get into is when they add people who they have never even heard of.  I don't do this and have never had any problems.  I only add friends who I have met face to face and maybe former class mate who I have not seen in a long time.  

Will

• 1,511 posts
Posted by pastorbob on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:58 AM

It is probably my age, but I prefer e-mail, telephone and face to face with my friends instead of twittering, tweeting, whistling or facebooking.  I keep having friends sending me stuff to come on their facebook, which I just delete.  My day is just too full now without spending additional hours on the computer for socializing.  but again, all you young bucks and buckettes have fun, I know you all live by it, just isn't my era or interest.

Bob

Bob Miller http://www.atsfmodelrailroads.com/
  • 822 posts
Posted by HaroldA on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:24 AM

The only social site I use is Facebook and I am VERY particular about who I 'friend' and have my privacy settings for only those people who I want to see my information.  This forum is a good place for information and it has saved me a few times, but I don't post any personal date.  As far as Twitter and some of the others, they just seem like a huge waste of time.

There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.....

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:38 PM

pastorbob

It is probably my age, but I prefer e-mail, telephone and face to face with my friends instead of twittering, tweeting, whistling or facebooking.  I keep having friends sending me stuff to come on their facebook, which I just delete.  My day is just too full now without spending additional hours on the computer for socializing.  but again, all you young bucks and buckettes have fun, I know you all live by it, just isn't my era or interest.

Bob

Bob - I'm right there with you.  I am only 46, but I think so much technology now-a-days is stupid.  I have never joined any of the networking sites and never will.

My wife did join facebook because of her scrapbooking friends.  She became put off by the "Jackie is mad" and "I'm going to bed" messages.  She hasn't looked at it since.

While in line at the grocery store the other day, a woman in front of me had her cell phone wide open for the world to see.  She was on facebook and she was busy typing away.  Don't people have other things to do?

• 5,440 posts
Posted by markpierce on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:42 PM

HaroldA

As far as Twitter and some of the others, they just seem like a huge waste of time.

With a name like "Twitter" (as in talking in a chattering fashion or giggle), I'd expect nothing more.

Mark

• 11,241 posts
Posted by SpaceMouse on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:18 PM

I use both Twitter and Facebook for business. But that is about it.

Chip

Building the Rock Ridge Railroad with the slowest construction crew west of the Pecos.

• 3,246 posts
Posted by modelmaker51 on Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:13 PM

I split my online time between here and http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/  The rest of my time is spent modeling.

Jay 

C-415 Build: https://imageshack.com/a/tShC/1 

Other builds: https://imageshack.com/my/albums 

• 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:34 PM

centercab
While in line at the grocery store the other day, a woman in front of me had her cell phone wide open for the world to see.  She was on facebook and she was busy typing away.  Don't people have other things to do?

Chuck, 

She was probably informing her friends that she was standing in line at the grocery store.  (Some news you just can't keep to yourself.)  Boggles my mind, too.

Tom

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 10,196 posts
Posted by howmus on Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:55 PM

tstage

centercab

Chuck, 

She was probably informing her friends that she was standing in line at the grocery store.  (Some news you just can't keep to yourself.)  Boggles my mind, too.

Tom

My thoughts exactly....  I technically have a Face Account.  After 2 weeks I shut it off.  My favorite shirt is this one: Social Media Tee

My son has a BIL who has not one but two cell phones that he gets updates from every 45 seconds or so.......  He can't figure out why he can't keep a girlfriend for more than a few weeks.  "Oh, gotta take this...."  "Now where were we? Oh!  Hang on a sec. while I ...OK now what did you say, wait........"

I got smart on got rid rid of my cellphone.  That one didn't get email, couldn't text or take photos or get stock options either.....  Life is much better without that crap! Smile,Wink, & Grin

Ray Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western R.R. (S.L.O.&W.) in HO

We'll get there sooner or later! 

• 1,760 posts
Posted by Railphotog on Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:13 PM

I use Facebook, and like a previous poster said, I keep a short list of friends and our relatives as "friends".  I do find it is a great way to share photos of our latest grandson, my exploits, my wifes' hobby activities, etc.  I've had requests from several well known modelers (one from Australia) to be my friend, but I turned them down, telling them I use the site for close friends and family only.  People outside my social circle don't need to see photos of our grandson!

I used to take photos at an area drag strip, and I started a Facebook Group for photos taken at the track.  I posted a bunch of mine, and others have too.  None of those following the group (around 500 so far) has access to my private posts, photos, and such.

I have a separate e-mail address for Facebook only, so no one can find me through other e-mail addresess I use for various uses.

Bob Boudreau

CANADA

Visit my model railroad photography website: http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

• 1,813 posts
Posted by YoHo1975 on Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:24 PM
I do use Facebook and enjoy it. Most of the problems associated with it relate to people who have 500+ friends that they don't really know and are very indiscriminate.

Science Research suggests that humans can really only deal with at most 130 people in their social group whatever that means. Facebook makes it easy to violate that and cause yourself surprising issues.

The reason I don't use Facebook for train specific socializing, is because it is too generic. I use it for associating with my entire group of peers and Model Railroading represents only a fraction of that.

Plus, this hobby, along with Railfanning produces a lot of technical discussion, howtos, and other deep and complex discussions. I find it easier to have those in a dedicated forum.

The short version of that is, Facebook is fine for some things, but not for Hobby specific discussion

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:20 PM
I primarily use forums, but I have a lot of friends on facebook I know through online forums and also through the TAMR (Teen Association of Model Railroaders); I use yahoo groups to keep up with the TAMR and also for a local MR club that I plan to join once I have my license and some time.

Sawyer Berry

Clemson University c/o 2018

Building a protolanced industrial park layout

• 161 posts
Posted by cahrn on Friday, June 4, 2010 12:27 AM

I have a Facebook, though I've never really added anyone as my friend. As people get to know me, if they care enough about Facebook they'll add me. I never post much, most of my pictures are from high school (I'm a junior in college now), etc. It's sort of useful for me, being that I'm from the bay area and I go to school back east and about 90% of my high school friends stayed on the west coast. I sorta keep in contact with them on Facebook, sorta. Hobby talk is pretty much relegated to its associated forum.

None of my friends model railroad, and I dont know anyone on Facebook that does, so it wouldnt be a very good tool for discussing trains. I pretty much split time on the trains.com forums and the Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons forums on wizards.com. The wizards.com forums actually have a pseudo social network built in, which is kinda cool for finding people that like the same niches within the hobby that you do.

Cahrn

• 12,852 posts
Posted by ATLANTIC CENTRAL on Friday, June 4, 2010 5:47 AM

What's facebook?

• 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Friday, June 4, 2010 7:57 AM

You need to be "poked", Sheldon. Laugh

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• From: 4610 Metre's North of the Fortyninth on the left coast of Canada
  • 9,229 posts
Posted by BATMAN on Friday, June 4, 2010 12:20 PM

tstage

centercab

Chuck, 

Tom

What I can't believe is the people who pay a $1000.00 for a pair of hockey tickets and spend their entire time at the game on their phone or looking at their phone texting.Confused

Brent

Brent

"All of the world's problems are the result of the difference between how we think and how the world works."

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Friday, June 4, 2010 1:33 PM

BATMAN

What I can't believe is the people who pay a $1000.00 for a pair of hockey tickets and spend their entire time at the game on their phone or looking at their phone texting.Confused

Brent

I know exactly what you mean.  I have seen this way too often.  The really sad thing is seeing parents attend their children's games and they are texting and making phone calls during the entire game.

Will

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all