Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Gary Coleman

20 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,672 posts
Gary Coleman
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:58 PM

I just read on MSN.Com's WonderWall that Gary Coleman, the former child star, is in critical condition in the hospital in Provo, Utah. I'm not sure of just how much modeling he has done recently but he is/was a model railroader and I will extend my prayers for a speedy recovery from whatever malady has laid him low.

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 3,576 posts
Posted by Motley on Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:16 PM
I didn't know Gary Coleman was a model railroader. I hope he pulls through...

Michael

CEO-
Mile-HI-Railroad
Prototype: D&RGW Moffat Line 1989

• 5,440 posts
Posted by markpierce on Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:23 PM

He suffers from a congenital kidney disease caused by focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (an autoimmune destruction and alteration of the kidney), which halted his growth at an early age, leading to a small stature (4 ft 8 in; 1.42 m). He has undergone two kidney transplants, one in 1973 and one in 1984, and requires daily dialysis.

Coleman suffered a seizure on February 26, 2010. On May 26, 2010, Coleman was admitted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, Utah, after falling and hitting his head.

• 24,014 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:24 PM
 Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?

Funny, funny character, let's all pull for him and a speedy recovery, model railroader or not.

Here is a recent news excerpt:

Gary Coleman is facing his third medical emergency this year.

The Diff'rent Strokes star, 42, is currently listed in critical condition in a Provo, Utah, hospital.

"I can confirm Mr. Coleman is a patient here at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center," hospital spokeswoman Janet Frank tells PEOPLE. "He's listed in critical condition. He was admitted Wednesday. We are not confirming what department he's in or any further details."

Coleman's brother-in-law told TMZ.com that the actor suffered a head injury after a fall.

A rep and lawyer for the actor didn't return calls for comment.

Coleman was hospitalized after suffering a seizure on the set of The Insider in February, and was hospitalized in January as well.

Alton Junction

• 4,612 posts
Posted by Hamltnblue on Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:51 PM

It's always bad to see another icon start to fail.

He's still pretty young as well.  

Springfield PA

• 322 posts
Posted by Oakhurst Railroad Engineer on Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:33 PM

I saw him at Allied Model Trains in Culver City, California.  Must have been about 5 years ago.  So, he is definitely a model railroader ...

Marty

www.oakhurstrailroad.com

"Oakhurst Railroad" on Facebook

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:44 PM

And his DRGW layout was featured in a 1990 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Alex

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:49 PM
Guilford Guy
And his DRGW layout was featured in a 1990 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
He worked at Caboose Hobbies here in Denver at the time.  I'll bet there are more Caboose Hobbies receipts with his signature than anything else.   I literally tripped over him once. I was going down the isle and he came out of the check stand behind a display.  Anyway I bought three copies of that RMC and was going to get him to sign them.  Right about them is when he quit Caboose and moved out of town.  So they are still sitting here unsigned.   Of course I do have his signature on the Caboose Hobbies Christmas picture in MR from 1987? or so.
  • 568 posts
Posted by Alantrains on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:03 AM

Sad news, It made the 6 O'clock TV news here in Oz as Different Strokes was a very popular show here too.

Alan Jones in Sunny Queensland (Oz)

• 9,632 posts
Posted by AntonioFP45 on Friday, May 28, 2010 4:55 AM

I found it saddening that he was not even mentioned on NBC nightly news broadcast.  I found about it as I was driving on the road, listening to AM talk radio.

Somewhere in my collection I have an MRR or RMC magazine with the article featuring Gary years back. I think there was a photo of him holding an HO EMD demonstrator diesel.

"I like my Pullman Standards & Budds in Stainless Steel flavors, thank you!"

• 37 posts
Posted by brank on Friday, May 28, 2010 12:27 PM

I also saw Gary Coleman at Allied Model Trains in Culver City, CA about 5 years ago, and was so happy to see a celebrity into model railroading. He was very friendly and was making quite a large purchase of goods! I read an article a while ago about Rod Stewart being well into model railroading as well.....

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Friday, May 28, 2010 12:45 PM

I read on MSN.com that he could be suffering from an internal cerebral hemorrhage.  If true, I hopes he pulls through.

Will

• 1,720 posts
Posted by MAbruce on Friday, May 28, 2010 2:06 PM

Sad news.  I just read a breaking report that he died. 

• 2,751 posts
Posted by Allegheny2-6-6-6 on Friday, May 28, 2010 2:31 PM

He passed away at 12:05 MDT he was 42 it really bugged the crap out of me how they hounded the poor guy in the press and all those stupid tabloid idiots when he fell on hard times. Nothing new for child actors and unfortunately nothing new for a lot of other Americans these days. To me he will just be some little kid that made me laugh and a fellow model railroader.

Just my 2 cents worth, I spent the rest on trains. If you choked a Smurf what color would he turn?
  • 2,201 posts
Posted by last mountain & eastern hogger on Friday, May 28, 2010 2:43 PM

Sad

Rest in Peace Mr. Coleman..

and Happy Rails Gary,  we will remember.

Johnboy out.

from Saskatchewan, in the Great White North.. 

We have met the enemy,  and he is us............ (Pogo)

• 133 posts
Posted by Coquihala and Rock Creek on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:10 PM

That's very sad.  I watched the show when it was on, I had heard he was a MRR but never saw the articles in either magazine.  Rest in Peace Gary.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer;

You have an electrical problem!

• 3,576 posts
Posted by Motley on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:17 PM
omg he died. Rest in peace, may he be in heaven with a BIG model RR. I didn't realize he was so young, he's my age.

Michael

CEO-
Mile-HI-Railroad
Prototype: D&RGW Moffat Line 1989

• 146 posts
Posted by rustycoupler on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:30 PM

What you talkin bout  Willis, i always liked him ,i hope he gets better. He has a very nice layout and my prayers are with him and his family.. 

• 1,150 posts
Posted by Metro Red Line on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:32 PM

I know this site is run by a competitor, but I think it's appropriate to post this up:

I, too saw Gary Coleman at Allied Model Trains in Los Angeles. I believe it was the early-mid '90s. He was behind the counter, hanging out with staff. As a Hollywood native, It's general etiquette to leave celebrities alone, unless they initiate the interaction, so I didn't approach him. But in the Diffrent Strokes era he did use his screen time to promote our hobby. I remember one episode where he had a small Lionel layout in his and his brother's room, and another episode where he went to small claims court over purchasing a defective locomotive at a hobby shop (that's where I first learned about the term "small claims court!").

Sad to know he died of a brain hemorrhage.  My 95-year old grandmother died of the same thing after a fall 10 years ago. She had no health issues at the time. Had it never happened, she could have been 105 today!

I myself suffered a brain hemorrhage myself after a bike accident as a teenager. I came out okay, thank God. But these things can be serious.

R.I.P., Gary.

• 146 posts
Posted by rustycoupler on Friday, May 28, 2010 3:39 PM

Oh man, It seems like all my childhood stars are passing away, what a shame, i met him before and he seemed like guy and he knew his train stuff too. My prayers are with him and his family.God blessGary.

• 129 posts
Posted by rtstasiak on Friday, May 28, 2010 8:31 PM

This is surely a sad day for us all.  I think that we can take consolation in the fact that our hobby, the love of trains big and small, gave Gary comfort and joy in this life.  I'm sure that I'll think of him whenever I see a big or little Rio Grande engine wheeling through.

Rich

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all