Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Keddie Wye

2 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 519 posts
Keddie Wye
Posted by Left Coast Rail on Monday, May 3, 2010 11:32 AM

I'm planning a trip to Northern California next month and would like to know if anyone has any tips on viewing and taking photos at the Keddie Wye.  I'm thinking about incorporating the Wye into the layout that I'm planning to build in the future.I'm also planning on a visit to the Western Pacific Museum in Portola. 

• 1,517 posts
Posted by trainnut1250 on Monday, May 3, 2010 1:45 PM

I was there around a year ago.  It is visible on the right side of the road as you are heading north.  There is a pull out above it across the road.  A steep embankment leads down to it.  I scrambled down it but it was steep and full of loose rock.  The other train fans decided to stay up on the hill. 

There is also a road leading to the bottom of the wye.  I did not take it but it looks as if you can get down to the western edge of the bottom of the canyon.  There are some houses down there.  I dont know if it is private property.  As I was down at the wye, a freight came across and I took a few shots  very cool.

There are lots of trains in the area.

Check Out Jim Dias' Layout in another MR publication this month for an excellent example of a Western Pacific layout with the wye.

Guy

see stuff at: the Willoughby Line Site

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Monday, May 3, 2010 2:33 PM

Jim Dias' fine HO scale WP layout incorporating Keddie Wye has been featured many times in the model press, including:

Modeling the Western Pacific Railroad
Railroad Model Craftsman, June 1996 page 48

Scenes along the WP - a visit to Jim Dias' layout
Railroad Model Craftsman, July 2000 page 50

Western Pacific Circa Spring 1938 in HO Scale
Railmodel Journal, May 2000 page 50

Jim Dias' Feather River Route 1938
Model Railroader, September 2001 page 48 Subscribers can find the track plan here:
http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=1455

A theoretical N scale track plan of the Keddie Yard was published in the same issue:
http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=1456

Jim Pendley's layout including Keddie Wye was published in Great Model Railroads 2009. Subscribers can find the track plan here.
http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=2875

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all