Trains.com

COFFEE POT #5 May 2010 for all to take a drink and chat. Welcome all posters. 5 yrs old and still going. Sweet ice tea too.

889 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,292 posts
Posted by jonadel on Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:37 PM

The end of a long day is near, a day of honoring and a day of sadness, glad I could be part of it.  

The grandkids went home shortly after I got home this afternoon and it's already much to quiet around here.  Sure fun to have them here for three nights but then again, the boss does most of the work with them.  I will miss the bed time stories that I read every night.

I do need to get the dehumidifier set up in the train room, it's just about that time of year.  It's also time to get the shelf queen's on the track and charge 'em up.  What I should do is schedule an open house and it would FORCE me to get my a$$ in gear and do a big time clean up down there, dust is not our friend.  I'm also glad the trains cannot whine because they are not run frequently ..........

Jon

So many roads, so little time. 

• 1,984 posts
Posted by 8ntruck on Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:25 PM

Rained all day today.  Probably have to borrow a combine to cut the lawn.

Ran trains for a bit today and last night.  Discovered I now have two operating O scale stealth bombers in the attic.

All for now.

• 5,028 posts
Posted by dwiemer on Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:54 PM

RT, You are wrong for dat!  Still, it had me about ready to wet the screen with a mouth full of water when I read it.  Bride wanted to know what I was laughing about.  I have never done that much damage to myself during projects, but only because I have been lucky...and blessed.  Could have happened a number of times in the past.

Got called for a meeting tonight for the movie.  We continue to film this week and plenty of shots to get.  I also have a lot to get done around the house.  Both are dependant on the weather this week.  We have a 80% chance of rain Monday.  I may get some peach trees planted tomorrow after church so that they can get the water.

God Bless,
Dennis

TCA#09-63805

Charter BTTs.jpg

• 5,369 posts
Posted by cheapclassics on Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:16 PM

Good evening all,

It was cloudy in SE Indiana today.  The TRACK opened today for Indy 500 practice.  Too early to get a good speed read.  Four former winners were the four fastest today.  Vitor 17th, Sarah 20th, Princess 14th.  Reffed my last two games of the season.  Last game was really strange (long story).  Came home and helped daughter finish landscaping.  Took wife to see Irom Man 2.  Long day.  I had the reguar fare on the dining car this morning for breakfast.  TBIL any time.  I hope everyone has a good day.  Good comment, RT!  Good work, Jonadel. 

Keep on training,

Mike C. from Indiana

• 4,913 posts
Posted by Brutus on Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:16 PM

Worked OT, met a friend for lunch, killed videogame zombies, and saw the new Iron Man 2 movie - great day!

Tardis is late, but can use the wayback circuit and catch you guys later (earlier)!  Ciao!

RIP Chewy - best dog I ever had.

• 15,416 posts
Posted by ChiefEagles on Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:19 PM

Good night all.  Reclinerized.  Did a special send off to the local Relay for Life teams.  Came home and ran soaker hoses.  Took wifey to run errands [got some plants and a ceiling fan for porch].  Went out to eat with Pam's friend and her Mom.  Watched TV.  T'storms in the area.  Roseyville?????  Off to bed. 

BTW: SJ, wifey gave tomato plants to small church kids to water and then transplant at their homes.  I have lots of real tomatoes on my "early" and "middle" plants.

Someone told me I have another NS diesel on the way [arrives Tuesday].  HUMMM

Send rain.  God bless.

God bless TCA 05-58541   Benefactor Member of the NRA,  Member of the American Legion,   Retired Boss Hog of Roseyville Laugh,   KC&D QualifiedCowboy       

• 5,434 posts
Posted by Blueberryhill RR on Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:33 AM

Good Morning from Blueberryhill....

It is a cloudy 62 degrees. Going up to 74 today with some rain predicted.

Today is an easy day. A few chores and then, I will be in the train room. Nascar race and ballgame in the afternoon.

Indians did a great job of winning, last night.

Dining car is here and we have the usual for  breakfast. Then, it will depart for all "Points West".

Y'all have a great Sunday.

Chuck

Chuck # 3 I found my thrill on Blueberryhill !!
  • 8,059 posts
Posted by cnw1995 on Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:48 AM

Aloha all. Looks like a nice day before rain comes tomorrow - plenty of time to read the paper before church later today. Bride is going on a retreat so I'll have plenty of train time the next few evenings. Wink  Memorial Day must be coming up because Mike C mentions the Indy racers are practicing.

Doug Murphy 'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...' Henry V.

• 8,033 posts
Posted by fifedog on Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:57 AM

Mornin' boys.  Mostly cloudy and 61 here in the Mid-Atlantic region.  Not s'posed to rain today, so hope to be under sail for a few hours.  Already took pics for SPF, just have to wait for middle princess to wake up and load'em.  Nobody gave me tix to Dover, or I'd already be there.

jonadel - Open house is the best way to make progress on a layout.

Blueberry - O's bullpen totally destroyed that rookie's solid effort. Banged Head

SPMan - I'm suspecting a bad speaker in that GP20.  Take the shell off, have a small screwdriver handy.  Listen to the sounds, and when it makes that noise, lightly touch the speaker.  If it gets better or worse, needs to be replaced.  Easy fix, and Brasseur's carries the part.

• 343 posts
Posted by navyjack on Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:17 AM

Smilehello guys.  wife is going to a baptism today, so she is leaving pizza and daughter in law is taking care of me.  (hope she brings my grandson).  no matter how bad i feel, he brings me out of it. anybody know when the next ctt is released?  it is a great magazine, and i look forward to getting it.  in the meantime the website is very entertaining.  i like the reviews of new products.  we are lucky that we have such a great forum for a bunch of crazy guys who love trains.  we will probably get our tomatoes in next week.  navyjack  

"the older the violin the sweeter the music"
  • 8,153 posts
Posted by sir james I on Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:39 AM

Good Moorning

Sunny and 60s today, the plants survived the first nite outdoors and we sprayed the chiefs secret recipe on the pepper plants hoping to keep the rabbits away from them. We'll see. Waiting for # 2 son to pick us up for a flea market trip. Have a great day...S.J.

"IT's GOOD TO BE THE KING",by Mel Brooks 

Charter Member- Tardis Train Crew (TTC)   - Detroit3railers-  Detroit Historical society Glancy Modular trains- Charter member BTTS

• 15,416 posts
Posted by ChiefEagles on Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Morning.  Back from Sunday School.  Had .15 inches of rain this AM [before I got to bed].  That is a great start.  Think more possible T'storms this PM.  Looks like 80% chance tomorrow.  Roof on lake house can wait if it rains.

Now I have a big question.   Is there a race track in Indiana?????? Whistling

Maybe some trains today. 

Have a good one. 

God bless TCA 05-58541   Benefactor Member of the NRA,  Member of the American Legion,   Retired Boss Hog of Roseyville Laugh,   KC&D QualifiedCowboy       

• 5,608 posts
Posted by dougdagrump on Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:51 AM

Hey All !

Kinda dragging this morning, the munchkin wore me out yesterday. Between alternating between being "Ironman" or the bad guy and getting killed, pillow fights and taking him to the club's B-B-Q & train run last nite he wore me out. He was like a kid in a candy store, didn't know what he wanted to do first. Ran the K-Line Mike for awhile, operate the "push button trains, back to the Mike, operate some accessories, etc, etc, had to slow him down to try to get him to eat. However, this house sure seems awfully quiet after he spends the night with grandma & grampa. Sigh

Tomorrow morning, brite & early, go to the oral surgeon for the broken tooth removal. After a second set of x-rays I asked him if it would be a job requiring a jackhammer, backhoe or blasting powder and his only comment was "all of the above". Shock Thank you 15yr old root canal. Sad Will be yanking a wisdom tooth at the same time, will probably be pretty loopy afterwards ( at least more than normal). Figured I'd say before anybody else did. Big Smile Had hoped to get some big time yard work done today but that has been scrubbed, don't want to aggrivate the Hay Fever for tomorrow.

Later All !

Remember the Veterans. Past, present and future.

www.sd3r.org

Proud New Member Of The NRA

• 2,672 posts
Posted by SPMan on Sunday, May 16, 2010 12:40 PM

fifedog
SPMan - I'm suspecting a bad speaker in that GP20.  Take the shell off, have a small screwdriver handy.  Listen to the sounds, and when it makes that noise, lightly touch the speaker.

Thanks Fifey, I hope you are right.  I'll take the shell off and look for that speaker when I get some time.  I'll let you know what happens.

Doug, good luck on the dental work.  I have had a lot pulled over the years and now have more partials than originals.  The dentist told me a story about another patient.  He said when I first came here I had all my teeth and was driving a Cadillac.  Now I have no teeth and you're driving a Cadillac.

Ray

SPMan

• 1,228 posts
Posted by LawsonFarmsRR on Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:32 PM

Hay NASCAR fans - Kyle Bush wins both the Nationwide (Sat.) and Sprint Cup (Sun.) races. fifedog, any comment? Chuck were you in the train room watching?

Pat

RFD-TV --- Rural America's most important network!

• 8,033 posts
Posted by fifedog on Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:57 PM

Ahoy Maties! Pirate  Good sail, just got back.  Had our best docking ever.  Backed that badgirl right into the slip.  Snowballs all around!

LawsonFarms - Glad I didn't spend my pretty Sunday afternoon watchin' the 18 win.  Speaking of pretty, how much does that girl get for standing next to him in Victory Lane...Dead

• 8,153 posts
Posted by sir james I on Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:39 PM

Howdy All

The weather must be nice everywhere, not many potters today. Oh well missed Brutus last night he must have been runnin pretty late. Banilla is ready  if the thingy arrives tonite..S.J.

"IT's GOOD TO BE THE KING",by Mel Brooks 

Charter Member- Tardis Train Crew (TTC)   - Detroit3railers-  Detroit Historical society Glancy Modular trains- Charter member BTTS

• 1,228 posts
Posted by LawsonFarmsRR on Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:55 PM

fifedog

Ahoy Maties! Pirate  Good sail, just got back.  Had our best docking ever.  Backed that badgirl right into the slip.  Snowballs all around!

LawsonFarms - Glad I didn't spend my pretty Sunday afternoon watchin' the 18 win.  Speaking of pretty, how much does that girl get for standing next to him in Victory Lane...Dead

A good number of your Sun. afternoons can be free from watching NASCAR since the 18 will dominate a number of them. 48 is going down this year.Smile,Wink, & GrinWhistling

The gal next to the winner is paid by NASCAR - don't know her salary. She does brighten up the festivities.Whistling

RFD-TV --- Rural America's most important network!

• 5,369 posts
Posted by cheapclassics on Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:58 PM

Good evening all,

ChiefEagles

Morning.  Back from Sunday School.  Had .15 inches of rain this AM [before I got to bed].  That is a great start.  Think more possible T'storms this PM.  Looks like 80% chance tomorrow.  Roof on lake house can wait if it rains.

Now I have a big question.   Is there a race track in Indiana?????? Whistling

Maybe some trains today. 

Have a good one. 

Is there a race track in Indiana?  That is like asking if Hoosiers play euchre or eat pork tenderloins or shoot hoops?  Lord, give me strength!!!  Sometimes........   Any way it was cloudy and rainy off and on in SE Indiana, but at least it was dry long enough to get times in at IMS.  Helio was fastest again.  Sarah, AJ IV and Vitor were all in the top 20.  Princess was 13th.  I watched a tape of the Monaco F-1 race (Webber won) and then I watched a WPS game on the web.  Washington beat Atlanta 2-0.  Fife could take his kids to see Washington play sometime and Dennis could take his to the Atlanta games.  Brutus has a St. Louis team and Doug M. has a Chicago team to watch as well.  I had bran muffins on the dining car for breakfast.   TBIL after "Desperate Housewives".  I hope everyone has a good day.

Keep on training,

Mike C. from Indiana

• 5,028 posts
Posted by dwiemer on Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:19 PM

Good evening guys.  I tried to post earlier and something ate my post?  Anyway, was a great morning service, even though I was on camera.  Great message from the pastor.  Went out for Mexican food along with the director of the movie and his family.  Was a nice time had by all.  When we got home, bride called the father of one of our daughter's friends.  He was a commercial electrician before he injured his back.  He came to help me with the water heater situation.  Turns out that the original builder of this house had used too small gauge wiring for the service to the water heaters.  To compensate for this, he reduced the size of the elements from the factory 4500W to 3500W.  It was when the sediment built up that it increased the draw and so it was pulling 37amps on a 30amp breaker.  Long story short, I will have to run some larger gauge wire to the heaters and put in a larger breaker.  For the time being, I am going to install a switch to turn off one of the heaters as we really only need one. 

I have a big case early in the am and then we are back to filming, so I had better head off to bed.  Do pray that everyone has a good week ahead. 

God Bless,
Dennis

TCA#09-63805

Charter BTTs.jpg

• 7,578 posts
Posted by Buckeye Riveter on Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:49 PM

Busy weekend.  Boat is in the water!!! Ran superbly down the lake. New hoist is great.  Just parked the boat and cranked it out of the water.

Painted the basement at the lake house.  Masonry paint is really hard to spread.  Need to do another coat. Anyone have any great ideas how to make it easer? 

Went downtown tonight to see the circus elephants loaded on the train. Check off another item on the bucket list.

Have a good week. 

Celebrating 18 years on the CTT Forum. Smile, Wink & Grin

Buckeye Riveter......... OTTS Charter Member, a Roseyville Raider and a member of the CTT Forum since 2004..

Jelloway Creek, OH - ELV 1,100 - Home of the Baltimore, Ohio & Wabash RR

TCA 09-64284

• 1,247 posts
Posted by Ole Timer on Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:57 PM

BUCKEYE .... WOW .... that's cool getting to see them load the elephants ! Hope you took some pics Wow!!

DENNIS ... do you ever hook a water hose up to that bottom connection on your water heater and flush the sediments out ?  Works great and saves the elements .... it should be done once a year . I was surprised here in my area ... with all the wells especially .... how many people don't know it's there and never do it ... but it's recommended . 

Getting ready to go down the yellow brick road and catch the tardis .... will check for beacons for awhile .   Cowboy   that lil smiley is me in my Ugly - Coyote hat ... Smile,Wink, & Grin  Nobody on tonight I guess .... waited until 10:15 .... catch you guys some other time .

LIFETIME MEMBER === DAV === DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS STEAM ENGINES RULE ++++ CAB FORWARDS and SHAYS
  • 915 posts
Posted by MichRR714 on Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:36 PM

Wes I must have just missed you.  Nobody on my screen tonight.

Charlie a.k.a. MichiganRailRoad714 (Charter Member TTC)      

• 3,584 posts
Posted by Sturgeon-Phish on Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:48 PM

Evening all

We just got back in town from a weekend in Cincy.  The Zoo yesterday and the Reds game today.  The kids had a great time and even with the rain fun was had by all.

Sorry for not starting the SPF.  I forgot to take the laptop with me!

May God bless

Jim

• 4,913 posts
Posted by Brutus on Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:18 PM

Howdy guys - pretty good day for zombie killing, rainy and wet out all day.  Looked for you this morning Jim, didn't know you were at the flea market.  Was on until about 8:20 tonight when I found out that the toilets were backed up.  Tried both snakes and plunging and managed to back water up into the shower :(  Finally went down - thank goodness!  Then I had to apologize to the family for my yelling and cursing.  This is the worst job in the world, in my book.  Did manage to catch Charlie online for a short talk Smile

Okay - Tardis is ready and we have the stabilizers fixed and the break is no longer "on", which should allow a bit more speed.

RIP Chewy - best dog I ever had.

• 8,059 posts
Posted by cnw1995 on Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:48 PM

Oh Brutus, I feel your pain. Worst. Job. Ever. Missed you, Charlie and Pappy. Watched some stupid teen movies with... the teens. They were amused though. The bride is away until Tues. and it's nice having an 18 yr old to watch things whilst I'm at work. Got the new Trains mag and a C&NW tank car for my bday so I'll read the former on my commute tomorrow.

Doug Murphy 'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...' Henry V.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:51 PM

Brutus,

I saw you were on Live the other day when I was playing Forza 3.  I need to get LFD2 sometime...

Doug,

Happy belated birthday.

Buckeye,

I think somebody contaminated your paint with sand grits.

RT,

Be careful what you say about 88.  You never know if The Q might read it, in which case I think you should probably hide.Smile,Wink, & Grin

Haven't had time to post due to work, although 24 hours/week is much better that 6 hours/week.  Continued battling the 799 Talking Station tonight, and the scraping/clunking sound was due to me not having the motor meshed properly with the turntable gear.Sign - Oops  After I got that fixed, the record seemed to be playing slow, but a cleaning with 70% rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball fixed that.Thumbs Up  I still haven't tested the Silver Flash yet.

• 15,416 posts
Posted by ChiefEagles on Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:12 PM

green97probe

Buckeye,

I think somebody contaminated your paint with sand grits.

Who would do such a thing? Whistling

Worked the garden today.  Got some light rain.  Might get some heavy later as line headed this way.  Lake house getting more too.  Planted all the plants for this year.  Got in watermellons and more peppers.  Got a half a bucket of squash.  Side dressed [Yanks will not know what that means] all plants and worked in before shower came.  Got lots of green tomatoes.

Physical at 10 AM [nice to have female Dr.], County Commissioners, meet with Legislative deligation and then dinner at Mayors' Assoc.  Full day ahead.  Saw last of The Pacfic tonight.  Off to bed.  Have a great week.

• 3,780 posts
Posted by RockIsland52 on Monday, May 17, 2010 12:26 AM

What a beautiful weekend we had.  Sunny, temps hit 70.  Celebrated my daughter's b-day at our place Saturday and we decided to eat at home, brought food in from our favorite restaurant so we could relax and enjoy each others' company.  Granddaughter aced a significant math test, then held my feet to the fire by making me take her out to the local Dairy Queen as I had promised I would do if she did well.  The old ice cream bribe, works every time.  I wish other things in life were that easy.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I read the Chief's comment that everything he needs to have planted for the season he has in the ground.  We are about a week from a spell where the temps dropped into the 30s, but I think it may finally be safe to start buying/planting the annuals.

DougM......can you even believe how the Boston Bruins folded in the playoffs?  The Blackhawks/Bruins matchup dream is history.  Up 3 games to none in a best of seven series and then proceed to lose 3 straight.  Then in the seventh and deciding game they go up 3-0 and lose it!!!!!  Arguably the worst collapse in professional sports history.  Banged Head Banged Head Banged Head  There is no quit in the Celtics, however.  They sent Lebron and the Cavs packing in 6, and then stunned the Magic today on the road to take away home court advantage. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The knucklehead who popped my wife's new car April 28 in a parking lot (while I was standing there) remains in hiding from his insurance company.  We had exchanged info at the scene, and he apologized.  I reported the incident to his carrier and to mine the following morning.  His carrier assigned a claim number, gave me a direct dial number to their rep who would be handling the matter, took care of the collision estimate and photos at one of their drive-through claim centers, and approved my choice of body shops pending knucklehead's response. 

But he has returned no calls to them or to his agent, nor responded to their written correspondence.  Yup, he's insured.  Sure, I could have just turned the whole matter over to my carrier, fronted my $1,000 deductible, and let them handle it.  Up front they said they would do this.....fix my wife's car and chase him/his carrier for reimbursement.....my  deductible to be returned to me later.     

I thought this way would be easier and quicker without a lot of back and forth.  WRONG!!!!!!!!!! 

If knuclehead denies the incident happened, or denies it was him behind the wheel, he'll have a hard time explaining how I have all of his info IN HIS HANDWRITING.  Right down to his driver's license number, expiration date, his vehicle registration info, expiration date, and insirance info......stuff I would have no way of getting unless I broke into his truck and knocked him over the head to get it. 

Whatever happened to just taking responsibility for one's actions and doing the right thing?  By law in MA., his carrier has until this Thursday to adjudicate the claim and give me the green light to get my car fixed, with or without his version of events.  To be continued......

Later, gang.

Jack 

IF IT WON'T COME LOOSE BY TAPPING ON IT, DON'T TRY TO FORCE IT. USE A BIGGER HAMMER.

• 5,369 posts
Posted by cheapclassics on Monday, May 17, 2010 5:01 AM

Good morning all,

It is cloudy and rainy in SE Indiana.  "Housewives" had a good season ender.  Bran muffins on the dining car.  TBIL anytime.  I hope everyone has a good day.

Keep on training,

Mike C. from Indiana

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Classic Toy Trains newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month