Trains.com

A silencer for aristo C19 live steam

2 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3 posts
A silencer for aristo C19 live steam
Posted by graham wilko on Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:27 AM
Some months ago I remember reading an article on a silencer for the C19. If I remember rightly it was something to do with wrapping some gause around the gas burner. Is there anybody out there that remembers this article or may be able to shed some light on this. Graham Wilko
  • 712 posts
Posted by two tone on Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:56 AM

Hi     Be careful what you put around the burner it needs to be heat resistant, you do not want a fire in your locoThumbs Up

Age is only a state of mind, keep the mind active and enjoy life

• 1,192 posts
Posted by kstrong on Monday, April 12, 2010 9:41 AM

Most burner silencers I've seen published consist of a "tent" of fine stainless steel mesh wrapped loosely around the burner, in such a way that the bottom of the burner (where the flame isn't) sits against the inside of the tube of the mesh, which is a larger diameter than the burner by maybe 70% or so. The advantage of this is twofold. First, the mesh interrupts the airflow which is what contributes to the whistling, and also the the mesh becomes a radiant heat source, adding to the efficiency of the burner so you use less gas, which also contributes to a quieter burner (and longer run times.) As for where you get the stainless steel mesh, I'm not sure. I'd try the usual suspects like Micro-Mark or perhaps Small Parts.

I have not done this kind of modification myself as yet, but I've got two Accucraft Rubys (Rubies?) which are slated to get this treatment at such time as I actually have the opportunity to run live steam on a regular basis again. (Andy will be in elementary school in 5 years...) I have heard the difference when these "silencers" are installed, and it's dramatic--well worth the effort.

I don't remember if such a device has ever been written up in GR--perhaps Rene can check--but I know they've been covered in Steam in the Garden fairly often. An e-mail to Ron Brown (SitG's editor) might provide an exact issue. 

Later,

K

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy