Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Height of Sylvan Great lakes freighter

25 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,808 posts
Height of Sylvan Great lakes freighter
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:17 AM

Hi,

I'm waiting for a great lakes freighter to arrive http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/696-10501

and I´m wondering how tall it is. I need to know the height up to the deck  and railings from the bottom of the boat so that I can plan my post height and position of my Huletts.

Any info on the height to the highest point would also be appreciated but not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Magnus

Unless otherwise mentioned it's HO and about the 50's. Magnus
  • 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:36 AM

Magnus,

I checked the Sylvan Models web site and the Great Lakes Lumber Hooker "Langell Boys" is 22"L x 4"W.  However, it doesn't mention the height at all.

For the specific info you're looking for, I would just contact Sylvan directly.  Here's their e-mail address:

office@sylvan.isp.ca

Magnus, I've had two dealings with Sylvan in the past and they have ALWAYS been responsive and very helpful.  Terrific folks and a great product! Thumbs Up

Tom

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:41 AM

Hi Tom,

I've already e-mailed Sylvan but wasn't sure if they where one of those companies that seem to misplace e-mails rather then replying to them. So I thought I better ask here as well and might get a quicker answer. I'm building the section as we speak so I'm eager to know as fast as possible. You know how it is. Smile

So anyways, thanks for the suggestion and the email address, I apreciate the help and the effort tremendously. I'm glad to hear that Sylvan is very responsive. I got one of there Laker class steam ships. A very nice model so I expect this to be just as great.

Sincerely,

Magnus

• 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:52 AM

Hey, your very welcome, Magnus.

As I said, I've dealt with Sylvan twice and they treated me well both times.  One instance I broke a part and asked them if I could purchase a replacement part.  The other instance I was missing a part.  In both cases, they sent me the item for FREE.  The missing part was actually a rubber tire.  Sylvan sent me an entire set of 6. Shock

Magnus, if you don't hear back from them in the next day or so, just send them another e-mail.  They are a small family-owned business.  So, it wouldn't be entirely out of the ordinary if "family" things come up sometimes and they don't get to inquires as quickly as usual.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing pictures of that ship when you're done assembling and painting it.

Tom

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:50 AM

Magnus

I have a Sylvan Great Lakes ore boat that I modified, but if you want, I can take some measurements of it when I get home tonight.  What are you mainly looking for...height of the hull in the mid-section [for hullets]?  I'm not sure what you mean by "post height", are you referring to forward and aft posts with the running lights on them, to determine bridge clearance?  Mine are customized so they might not be accurate...   

-Ken in Maryland  (B&O modeler, former CSX modeler)

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:15 PM

YIKES ! $300.00 for a plastic kit of a boat??  and can those dimensions be correct?  36'' long (3 feet) that's a pretty massive addition to any HO layout.  Also try looking around on a site for plastic model boats, pretty sure you will come in way under $300.00.

• 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:24 PM

tatans
YIKES ! $300.00 for a plastic kit of a boat??

tatans,

Correction: It's actually resin rather than plastic.  I've only put together their small resin car kits.  However, they make a very good quality product.  Should turn out quite nicely.

Tom

• 1,063 posts
Posted by jalajoie on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:54 PM

tatans

YIKES ! $300.00 for a plastic kit of a boat??  and can those dimensions be correct?  36'' long (3 feet) that's a pretty massive addition to any HO layout.  Also try looking around on a site for plastic model boats, pretty sure you will come in way under $300.00.

In fact $300.00 for a 1/87 ship model is not expensive at all, it is rather cheap. Also 36" long for a ship model of a Great Lake Freighter is rather short. A full length HO model of such a vessel would be over 7 feet in actual length.

At the club we scratchbuilt a model of a small containers ship see below.

Since the pictures were taken more work has been done on the scenery.

The ship was built from plan of a small container ship that could carry 1100 containers of 20 feet. It is 6 actual feet long, we had to cut 100 feet from its real length in order for it to fit in the space available. We also had to reduce the eight of the structure by one floor.  

Jack W.

• 3,660 posts
Posted by cwclark on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:55 PM

Here's  pictures of my great lakes freighter. I believe i made my pier 2-1/2."  I turned it into a container ship

chuck

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:03 PM

tatans

Why would you expect it to be cheaper? These are highly specialized kits that are prototypical only for a small geographical area (Great Lakes) and are special purpose vessels designed for a single commodity. They're not going to sell in the thousands (or hundreds for that matter) per year.

Sure you can get cheaper boats, but not that size or prototype. You think the ore boats are expensive, check out this: http://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/ocean_liners/hellespont_fairfax.htm

Given that the prototype is 380 meters long and the model only 1 meter (more or less), that model is at a scale of approsimately 1/380 ( or significantly less than half the size of N scale).  'Course it is "RTR" and not a kit. Hmm. I could get a DPM brass engine for that price.

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.
  • 1,063 posts
Posted by jalajoie on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:06 PM

Chuck, how did you made your cranes?

Jack W.

• 3,660 posts
Posted by cwclark on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:18 PM

A lot of the crane 's components are scratch built. The basic main derricks are 2 IHC intermodal crane kits that i cut one end off and filled in with styrene. I used bits and pieces from other kits so that the lifts move up and down and from side to side and can pick up a container from the ship if need be.  Both derricks can also slide along the pier on code 100 rail that I embedded into the "concrete" next to the railroad tracks.

jalajoie

Chuck, how did you made your cranes?

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:33 PM

CSX_road_slug

Magnus

I have a Sylvan Great Lakes ore boat that I modified, but if you want, I can take some measurements of it when I get home tonight.  What are you mainly looking for...height of the hull in the mid-section [for hullets]?  I'm not sure what you mean by "post height", are you referring to forward and aft posts with the running lights on them, to determine bridge clearance?  Mine are customized so they might not be accurate...   

Mr Csx,

I would apreciate in case Sylvan takes it time to answer.

About the "post" that is a typo on my part, sorry. I meant port height. Basically I want to know how high above the water that I want to place my quay (I lost that word from my English vocabulary when typing originally).

I need to work out the height so that I know in what position to model the Hulett unloaders that I got.

I would would be very happy if you could give me that info.

Sincerly, Magnus

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:40 PM

tatans

Hi,

I don't think that is very expensive at all to be honest. It's a one time investment and you don't need many of them. It's not like the coal hoppers and ore jennies needed to receive the cargo. Nor are they engines which might cost a lot more for just one engine and we all end up buying several, atleast I do.

About the length, they are very narrow so they don't eat up to much space. I will have to large boats of this size on the layout and tugboat. I got a Gato class submarine built up that I'm considering adding as well that is roughly 4 feet as well. But they are all narrow! So they make excellent industries. The Laker class tramp steamer I got make an all round industry that can pretty much receive any cargo and thus is a lot of industry in a small space, just 3 feet. It can receive either oil or coal as fuel. It can receive all kind of boxcars with all kind of materials.

This ore boat can be lengthened and I've order two additional sections bringing the boat up to 140 cm. Which is not overwhelming in any way if you ask me.

Magnus

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:45 PM

tstage

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing pictures of that ship when you're done assembling and painting it.

Tom

Will do, it will take some time but I'll post some pics when it gets here and starts getting assembled. Need a new camera too, the old one eats batteries, two pics and then they are gone. :(

Magnus

• 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:44 PM

Lillen

I would apreciate in case Sylvan takes it time to answer.

About the "post" that is a typo on my part, sorry. I meant port height. Basically I want to know how high above the water that I want to place my quay

Ah...OK, now it all makes sense!  I'll measure the height of the hull from the waterline, and the height of the dock from the water. 

Since everybody else is showing pics of their boats, I'll show mine.  Here is a full-length shot of the Marquette taken in 2005, when my current layout was still under construction.  NOTE: It has 3 hull extensions, and a "false bottom" to make it look partially empty.

A head-on view:

• 1,063 posts
Posted by jalajoie on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:50 PM

Thanks Chuck for the info, that is ingenious.

Ken, I like very much your harbor overall scene.

Jack W.

• 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:56 PM

jalajoie
Ken, I like very much your harbor overall scene.

Thanks Jack, if I had a gymnasium [and the $$] I'd model the entire Cuyahoga Valley!Tongue

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:03 PM

CSX,

Very impressive. Now your starting to tempt me into getting a third section as well!

You have a very nice layout. Was it featured in Joe Fugates's magazine? I think I recognize it from somewhere but I can not put my finger on it.

Magnus

• 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:39 PM

Lillen
Was it featured in Joe Fugates's magazine? I think I recognize it from somewhere but I can not put my finger on it.

It is one of the revolving "banner" images on the MRH web site (the ones that have "Yes its a model" pasted on them)

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:02 PM

CSX_road_slug

Lillen
Was it featured in Joe Fugates's magazine? I think I recognize it from somewhere but I can not put my finger on it.

It is one of the revolving "banner" images on the MRH web site (the ones that have "Yes its a model" pasted on them)

Thanks for clearing that up. That explains it.

Magnus

• 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:18 PM

Here are the measurements on a standard Sylvan hull (without a false bottom):

Waterline to top edge - 1.875 in or 4.8 cm

Waterline to top of handrail - 2.25 in or 5.7 cm

Dock* to waterline - 2.0 in or 5.1 cm

* That's what my own dock measures, but it may not be truly prototypical; I've seen other model docks that are half that height.

Q: Do you really have to cement your Huletts into permanent positions?  I thought they were designed so you can change their position as often as you want to.  At least that's the way I would do it if I were building them.  If the model wouldn't stay in the desired position, I would drill a tiny hole in a non-visible location and insert a 'set' screw to hold the two overlapping pieces in place.

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:57 AM

CSX_road_slug

Here are the measurements on a standard Sylvan hull (without a false bottom):

Waterline to top edge - 1.875 in or 4.8 cm

Waterline to top of handrail - 2.25 in or 5.7 cm

Dock* to waterline - 2.0 in or 5.1 cm

* That's what my own dock measures, but it may not be truly prototypical; I've seen other model docks that are half that height.

Q: Do you really have to cement your Huletts into permanent positions?  I thought they were designed so you can change their position as often as you want to.  At least that's the way I would do it if I were building them.  If the model wouldn't stay in the desired position, I would drill a tiny hole in a non-visible location and insert a 'set' screw to hold the two overlapping pieces in place.

First of, thanks a LOT for these measurements and the edited photo. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me by not only taking the measurements but also editing the picture. So thanks a lot.

Second, about the Huletts, well they are built so that you can "operate" them as you wish after they've been built. I got one built up already and it's a nice model and moves easily. But, the cables at back of that should control the model if it was the real thing have to be set in the position that you want it to rest in. Because if you lift the models bucket above that point the string will go loose and just hang there. Not a very realistic or visually appealing look. So therefor you need to plan the position to begin with. I plan to have on all way down. That is the one I've built so far and the other will be on it's way up or down in midway.

Once more, THANKS!

And oh, Sylvan hasn't answered me yet so this lets med get going now.

Magnus

• 2,475 posts
Posted by caldreamer on Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:08 AM

Does anyone have the measurements for the N scale Great Lakes Freighter??.  My dock will be a little over 1" to the sea floor and I need to know the height from the main deck to the bottom of the hull.

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:56 AM

I just wanted to say that I've now received an answer from Sylvan. Great response time for such a small company and I wanted you guys to´know it to.

Magnus

Tags: quay , Sylvan
  • 1 posts
Posted by JOHN HARRIS1 on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:25 PM

I klnow I'm a bit late, I see your post was 2010 but I'm interested in the plans you used to create this container ship. JGH

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all