Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Elliot's Trackside Diner XXV- Milepost 25 Locked

708 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,781 posts
Elliot's Trackside Diner XXV- Milepost 25
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:49 AM

Well, it seems it is that time again.

The move went relatively easily, and it seems the girls have just about finished putting everything back in its place.

I've left a trail of pies (NOT to be thrown!) from the old diner.

I'm tired, so I'll catch you guys in the morning.

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• 1,263 posts
Posted by AmanaMedic on Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:11 AM

JOE: Thanks for handling the move...well done.

Good morning....*yawn*, just a little housekeeping from the last spot before I retire for the night.

TODD: Rerun really appreciated THAT birthday greeting! I'd print it out for him...but dagnabit, now I'M out of ink...and the toner is about gone in the laser as well. *grumble*

ROBBY P: The Wife really liked your old BUG. Someday, I'll have to get her a real one...then a die-cast replica to match it.Whistling IF she don't already have it...

LEE: I'm liking the roundhouse Thumbs Up. I kinda wish I'd used it instead of the Atlas one...but the Atlas has the right roofline vs. Walthers...even though Walthers' windows are closer. Eitherway, a lot of compromises.

I missed who had tacked up the 4x4 monster Mustang plow... now THATs using the 'ol bean!

Welp...bedtime. Later today: Daytona 500!!!!!!! Also Birthday Burgers (a day late) for Rerun, and Loving Wife and I might see if we can't pry a few bucks loose for some fiscally irresponsible purchasing in honor of Valentine's Day.

Good night/good morning, best wishes to any/all in need...

ChrisEight Ball

The Cedar cRapids Industrial Branch: Proudly Shipping Yesterday's CrunchBerries Tomorrow!

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:16 AM

Cough, cough , puff, wheeez!

Just when I was about to enter the diner, the whole thing started to move! 25 miles outa town? What a distance to run - for an old man like me!

Chloe, coffee and a traditional American breakfast, with all the works and bells/whistles, please n´thanks!

It was a fairly quite day yesterday - aside from the phone ringing constantly. Due to weather, nobody showed up, so Petra and I enjoyed a day just for ourselves. Christian is still in the midst of his exams, so he could not come, leaving a broken heart with his mother... Sigh

Sam - it´ll be my pleasure to draw the plan. I´ll be using Atlas code 83 track, min. radius of 18" for branch lines, spurs and 22 - 24" for the main line run. Turnouts #6 - if that´s OK with you. Just allow me a few days to complete it.

It is again sn*wing outside - and no end in sight!

Have a good day, you all!

Edit:

I already played with Sam´s track plan and here it is:

Sam - PM me your e-mail address, so I can send you the RTS file!

2nd edit:

I have been playing with Iain Rice´s Roque Bluffs track plan and found out, that using Atlas Code 83 track with #4 turnouts is a near match to his handlaid track. I just laid my Atlas conversion over his graphics - looks good to me (maybe a new idea for me as well?)

Well, here it is:

• 10,392 posts
Posted by blownout cylinder on Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:10 AM

ns3010
I've left a trail of pies (NOT to be thrown!) from the old diner.

That's OK. The birds were really happy out thereSmile Everything is all gone except for the crumbs--

Good Morning-

Ulrich: Like those plans you made up there. I may have a space issue someone in my neighbourhood has here for you to play around withWhistling I found that my next door neighbour is toying around with a full basement layout----mmmWhistling

Off to do some more schtuff today, hence the reason for being up so early---again.

Chloe, I'll have a breakfast bagel and a large bucket of coffee please---I'll be at the RC for now---interesting view out there---

Any argument carried far enough will end up in Semantics--Hartz's law of rhetoric Emerald. Leemer and Southern The route of the Sceptre Express Barry

I just started my blog site...more stuff to come...

http://modeltrainswithmusic.blogspot.ca/

• 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:54 AM

MP 25? ... We've been run out of town. What was it? The pie fights? The bunch of ladies in the diner the other day?  ...

We were talking about bridges. If you are interested, here is a link to the "C&O Bridge" at Cincinnati. .. You can also find your way around the site and see highway bridges. ... The C&O bridge is a busy bridge and has a steady stream of freight trains day and night. ..

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/co-bridge.html

There is a parallel highway bridge immediately adjacent to the C&O bridge, and I have driven across it many times. The two bridges share some of the piers.

Just west of it is the I-75 double layer bridge, and I have crossed it lots of times. North bound is the bottom layer, and southbound is the top. The I-75 bridge is considered to be one of he most dangerous of all interstate highway bridges.

There is a hotel in Covington (I think it is a Courtyard Hotel) which would be a great place to stay and watch trains, but I have not done that. Also, there is a nice restaurant in Covington that is close to being under an approach bridge, and we have been there.

GARRY

HEARTLAND DIVISION, CB&Q RR

EVERYWHERE LOST; WE HUSTLE OUR CABOOSE FOR YOU

• 3,698 posts
Posted by TMarsh on Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:57 AM

(yaaaaaawn!!) Good Morning. Coffee please. Guess I fell asleep in here last night.

Roundhouse looks good there Lee!

I think, I'll straighten up the corner in the train room this morning a bit before church. It'll serve two purposes. One, I won't be stepping over/on everything all the time. And two, it'll make for a better PICTUUUURE, hooo! Yup, said it before and Lee reminded me with his comment to Ulrich. Document this with pictures.

Not much other than dinner out with my Valentine this afternoon to use a gift certificate we received for ChristmasCool. It will either be the Olive Garden or a local place called the Chesapeak Seafood House. Very good food and actually quite reasonable in price for what you get and generally always busy. A little less expensive and waaaaaay better than Red Lobster, which, once again IMO, the worst one I've ever been too. Not very good at all. Packed all the time, but not very good. Go figure. Then back to construction. Oh I forgot to say. There has been an unfortunate loss of life and a couple of displaced arachnids. The loss of life occurred when the stupid beast paused. The displaced will be dealt with as they reappear.

No Daytona 500 party in the schedule. A friend always has one but this being V.D.(he he) and dinner being in the afternoon, we shant attend. Hopefully the Daytona fans will cause a drop in customers at that time (smart thinking me has) and I want to use the time to continue construction of my kingdom. For an empty room, figuratively speaking, is not much to rule.

Well, best get movin' (opens door) HEY! Where are we?! OH for Pete's sake. Of all the nights I don't sign off and fall asleep in the booth, is the night they move. How does Duke know where he is at any given time. He can't! Which way back to my truck Janie? That wa.. 25 MILES! HOLY COW! Oh well, guess I'll take the speeder. Not here yet? What? Oh the handcar. You've gotta be kid.... Great. Thanks. Well it's better than walking I suppose. I hope it's not uphill at least I might be able to coast a bit.

Have a Great Day!!!

Todd  

Central Illinoyz

In order to keep my position as Master and Supreme Ruler of the House, I don't argue with my wife.

I'm a small town boy. A product of two people from even smaller towns. I don’t talk on topic….. I just talk. Laugh

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:03 AM

(from the old diner) Sam, thanks! To see what the snow looked like here just look at the snow video. little odd, haha.

Well, Daytona 500 is today. I watched both the Nationwide and Truck races yesterday. If it's half of those races, it is going to be an EPIC race!

Sawyer Berry

Clemson University c/o 2018

Building a protolanced industrial park layout

• 10,392 posts
Posted by blownout cylinder on Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:12 AM

TMarsh
(yaaaaaawn!!) Good Morning. Coffee please. Guess I fell asleep in here last night.

You must've been really sleepy last night!

Any argument carried far enough will end up in Semantics--Hartz's law of rhetoric Emerald. Leemer and Southern The route of the Sceptre Express Barry

I just started my blog site...more stuff to come...

http://modeltrainswithmusic.blogspot.ca/

• 4,256 posts
Posted by Cederstrand on Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:17 AM

Coffee in a Soggy Southern mug, please.

***Lee, nice work on the round house. Other structures look great, too.Thumbs Up

Have a good day y'all.

Cowboy Rob

• 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:28 AM

Here's a link to the "Southern Bridge" (now NS) in Cincinnati. I should have included with the earlier post.

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/southern.html

GARRY

• 2,822 posts
Posted by LSWrr on Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:56 AM

Good morning all,

Happy Valentine’s day to all!

For those that haven’t seen it yet here is the link to the roundhouse:
http://community.webshots.com/album/576376778QCKZMD?vhost=community&start=12

I really like the machine shop kit, I’m thinking of getting another one and use it as the car shop, still thinking about it.

Lee

BM1 Lee Soule USCG (ret)
 L.S.&W Railroad Serving the Lower Great Lakes

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:53 AM

Good morning. It's 42 and cloudy. The high today will be in the high 50's and there's talk of a 20% chance of rain this morning working it's way up to 60% by 6 pm. Just what we need, more rain. The whole state is about to slide away as it is.

Not much happening today. I'll be tearing down the new Roundhouse FMC covered hopper I got recently. Things that will be done is the couplers will be changed out and weight will be added as the car is currently 1.2 ounces shy of what it needs to be. If the weather cooperates I'll add a coat of my black acrylic and alcohol mix. The wheels will also be getting some rust and the trucks will get some rail tie brown as well as a little rust.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 1,226 posts
Posted by JPowell on Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:25 AM

Good morning gang!

Hope all is well with everyone! Prayers and well wishes to those in need esp Flip's wife Deb!

Well here it is... another V D and the g/f is sick. She came up with the dinner idea last night... Red and White Chicken Chili in the slow cooker... smells delicious already and it still has another 6hrs to go before it's done...MMMMMMM Dinner

Ok gang... I'm off to continue with my MR inventory.

Stay safe and have a good day!

//signed// John Powell President / CEO CNY Transportation Corp (fictional)

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/nuts4sports34/

Hunter - When we met in January of 2000, you were just a 6 week old pup who walked his way into this heart of mine as the only runt in the litter who would come over to me. And today, I sit here and tell you I am sorry we had to put you down. It was the best thing for you and also the right thing to do. May you now rest in peace and comfort. Love, Dad. 8 June 2010

I love you and miss you Mom. Say hi to everyone up there for me. Rest in peace and comfort. Love, John. 29 March 2017

• 10,196 posts
Posted by howmus on Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:28 AM

Mornin' everyone.........  Yawn!  Happy,   ah,  I know some darn fool thing is going on today.  One of those days THAT keeps Hallmark in business.......  Whatever, have a great day!

Zoe just a bowl of "Old Phart" cereal and a cup of "Questionable Coffee, sour cream, 59¢"  I'll be taking a nap with the crew that cuts the wood for the fire in the back booth.  25 miles?  Dang! THAT is too far even with the hand car.  Looks like the crows are well fed this morning though.Whistling

I tossed and turned and then turned and tossed all last night.  Every time I did doz off, one of my cats decided to wake me up with the paw on my nose routine.  I think they may have found THAT waking me up shuts off the chain saw so they can get some sleep.  Had a bunch of weird dreams as well.........  Anyway, I didn't make it to church this morning.  When I woke up at 8:30 after a couple hours of decent sleep I decided I needed sleep more than a sermon. Evil

I will be driving over to Auburn this afternoon to deliver a thank you certificate to a NMRA Member who had his layout open for the Winter Meet.  Hopefully I will get to see his lyout while I am there.  I asked him last night when a good time to come and visit would be, and he said tomorrow afternoon.  I replied, "I was hoping you would say that."  So, today is now full......Whistling

OK, time to hit the shower and get dressed.  Later!

Ray Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western R.R. (S.L.O.&W.) in HO

We'll get there sooner or later! 

• 2,545 posts
Posted by Robby P. on Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:55 AM

Good morning.  Its another cold morning.  Its not snowing, but will be tomorrow.  About 2-4 inches.

Not much planned today.  Worked on the layout already this morning.  I got the wife right now working on some signs.

Chris.......Glad y'all liked it.  That bug wasn't even close to my "nice" bug.  

Sawyer..I watched the race near the end.  I might catch some of it today.  Just seems like Sr/Jr got some bad luck at Daytona .

Lee........Very nice shots.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Hope everybody has a good day.  

"Rust, whats not to love?"      

• 3,698 posts
Posted by TMarsh on Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:58 AM

howmus
One of those days THAT keeps Hallmark in business....... 

Ok, since Ray brought it up. In case ya'll are wondering, going against my convictions, yes I did buy a VD (giggle) card for Brenda.

Todd  

Central Illinoyz

In order to keep my position as Master and Supreme Ruler of the House, I don't argue with my wife.

I'm a small town boy. A product of two people from even smaller towns. I don’t talk on topic….. I just talk. Laugh

• 2,576 posts
Posted by Cox 47 on Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:03 AM

Good morning and Happy Valentines day...Its cloudy and 28 here...I'll have coffee and a sweet roll please..Sallie and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary today...planning a nice day here at home with Turkey and trimmings for supper..

Been working on a wood kit...a store and garage..Got a bridge for Walther's turntable from Ebay deal yesterday..I picked turntable up used and the bridge had a big dog leg in it..I tried to fix but couldn't ..Don't know why Ia working on it don't have room for it

You all have a good one...Jerry

ILLinois and Southern...Serving the Coal belt of southern Illinois with a Smile...
  • 367 posts
Posted by AztecEagle on Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:40 AM

Dang,The Diner Seems To Move More Often Than Carter Gor Little Liver Pills!!ShockWinkCool

Anyway,as Daytime Talk Show Diva Wendy Williams says"How You Doin'??".Smile,Wink, & GrinLaugh

The Snow's finally melting in North Texas!!Smile,Wink, & Grin

Happy Valentine's Day to one and all!!Cool

I wanna give a shout out to my newest Grand Nephew Preston Blake Coulter!!Sign - WelcomeCool down in Houston!!
He'll be a week old Tuesday!!!CoolSign - Welcome

Just Coffe Chloe,I ate at a Chinese Buffet and I'm still kinda full!!!

• 4,256 posts
Posted by Cederstrand on Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:53 AM

***Jerry, "Happy Anniversary". I too have suffered from the bridge thing, buying some only to end up reselling them. Seems I change my plans all to often.

***Ray, I had a bunch of weird dreams last night, too. Had a long talk with my deceased mother in one of them.

Late start doing my farm chores. Hope to get the details installed on the wife's new Atlas GE U23B today. She hasn't seen it yet. 

Cowboy Rob 

• 251 posts
Posted by sunsetbeachry on Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:59 AM

Well it is morning after all. This time I found you'all, my big white dodge truck is sitting outside [ keys in it ] leave note for anybody to return here.Found JR [ the BIG cat sleeping in the ] harbor of layout, didn't break anything. 55 degrees sunny all day[ I hope ].I've got a meeting at noon today, will try to start to mounting  track,stayed uot most of night and finished all the switches. Now to get out the clear globbledgoup [clear ] and mount track; almost used the soda pop straws for wiring, thats when I stopped.

Happly Valintine Day to all and better halves........chuck Fair Winds and Follow Seas

Remember model railroad logging is a FUN business and we all need FUN........ACD
  • 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:32 PM

Morning all.

Sorry about being so far out of town, but I chose this siding because of its location adjacent to a busy 4 track main! We can see up to 100 trains daily from here!
I have, however, arranged for a Budd RDC to shuttle us back and forth between town and the diner.

Ulrich, you did a nice job with Sam's plan! I like it!

Garry, unfortunately, they changed town to a Quiet Zone, and the locals have decided that we're too loud...

Happy anniversary Jerry!

Congrats Aztec! Since I've been somewhat absent lately, I somehow missed that... Congrats again!

Well, I have to go for a while, but I'll be cutting benchwork when I come back! I'm so excited. Since it's Valentine's Day, I guess I'll have to say...
I <3 my trains!

Later!

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:40 PM

Got the work done on the Roundhouse hopper and it's outside drying at this time. The couplers that came on it were a bit sticky for some reason. They didn't always like to close completely. So they were replaced with new Kadee #5's. The trucks and wheels were painted rail tie brown and rust respectively as well as some for the couplers. I added 1.5 ounces of RoseArt modeling clay to the interior for weight to bring it up to the NMRA recommended weight and the whole thing was sprayed down with black acrylic paint and alcohol.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:04 PM

Hello ...

Is anyone missing a cat?

Lee .... I like the roundhouse. I know it is tough too line up al the tracks with the truntable.

Jeff.. glad you could getthe hopper done.

Jerry ... Sounds like you have some good projects there.

Today, I completed another office building for the city I hope to have in a few months.

GARRY

• 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:15 PM

Roundhouse FMC 50' covered hopper.

Before:

After:

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 4,256 posts
Posted by Cederstrand on Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:27 PM

***Jeffrey, good progress there. If you lived next door I would hire you to detail the parts on my wife's new loco. Not only do none of them want to fit, but I already broke one into 3 pieces.Banged Head Argh! Think I need to find the nearest model RR club (which isn't going to be very close), then join it and hope I can find someone who can finish these projects that cause me such grief.

Also discovered my (N) Kato mike is missing the bell. I had left it at a hobby shop for months before giving up on them to install the details and brought it home. Guess I should have checked the parts closer.Banged Head

I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANY KITS...at least if at all avoidable.

GrumpyRob

• 1,155 posts
Posted by tcwright973 on Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:50 PM

Cederstrand

I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANY KITS...at least if at all avoidable.

Rob,

That makes two of us. It seems no matter how careful I try to be, something always goes wrong. It's just too frustrating. The wife gets that "Oh no..." look when I'm handling kits at the hobby shop or a train show. That sort of says it all, doesn't it?

Tom

Tom

Pittsburgh, PA

• 367 posts
Posted by AztecEagle on Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:31 PM

I understand you about kits!!

I bought a few kits and assembled em',however they don't seem to run as good as RTR models!!
Besides,for the most part,Athearn/Accurail/Branchline/etal. RTR Models aren't really all that expensive!!

• 367 posts
Posted by AztecEagle on Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:36 PM

Thanks Joe!!Got the latest pitcure of him today!!
He's a cute lil'fella!!!CoolSmile

Gonna be a heartbreaker when he gets older!!!CoolWink

Finally made a snowman today!!!
Put a Pimp Hat and Shades on him and called him"Snowlomite"!!!LaughSmile,Wink, & GrinCool

• 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:39 PM

As shaky as I am these days I avoid all but the easier kits. I enjoy the DPM series but the tiny details of the CornerStone kits drive me crazy. Ten years ago I could put those together with no problem.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 367 posts
Posted by AztecEagle on Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:39 PM

That's almost as good as the poster for a missing Boa Constrictor with a Missing Cat poster underneath!!!LaughSmile,Wink, & Grin

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all