Annies getting a facelift:

Need to start thinking about colors

More pics as I get further along

Have fun with your trains

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:27 PM

Annie starting a basic interior, balsa slabs and chunks

Then painted brown

from the outside makes a nice difference, gives the impression something is inside, will add some seated figures in future

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:27 PM

All this labor and effort to fabricate only to find that you do not have large enough curves to handle the traffic. Have you developed a plan to modify the undercarriage to accommodate the tight turns on the "Pizza"?

Tom Trigg

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Friday, January 29, 2010 1:20 AM

Hi Tom, the new bottom most layer of the Pizza has an R1 circle, and I'm contemplating expanding the fold down sections to accomodate another R1 loop, Heck I'm contemplating redoing the hold thing to be a little chunk of Britain if I cant figure out some space outside to do so.

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Friday, January 29, 2010 8:13 PM

Here’s a thought. If you were to cant both axles (on the right side) about 6 to 10 degrees to the center line and extend the couplers by about 3/8 inch then the cars will run on the smaller diam’s, but never again on full size layout. Might be a bit tricky doing same to Elmo, or what ever you are calling Thomas and Percy these days.

Or you could convert to the pivoting axles that Lehmann had on some of their two axle cars. The Lehmann cars with the swing axles can negoitate curves aproximatine R0.5 with absolutely no problems.

Tom Trigg

• 676 posts
Posted by Rex in Pinetop on Friday, January 29, 2010 9:55 PM

Tom,

I just pulled my Annie out of the box to check out your idea.  There are wheel wells embedded into the plastic bottom of the car so if you were to cut off the axle mounts and reposition them you would also have to grind some more plastic away for the repositioned wheel wells.  Note that the cars tracked fine on the 2 ft radius curved track that came with the set.  Not sure how they will do if you go smaller than that.

Rex

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:25 AM

Too late

Finally couldnt take those single axles anymore, just too much association with the toy line version so...

Added LGB trucks, got the buffers back to almost exactly the same height as the goods wagon

added a new bolster, 1/2" w x 3/8" h basswood

Side view, the trucks should probably be closer to the ends but the couplers would end up alot farther out too. So I can live with them this way. Now I really need to add the lower running boards.

Still needs painting

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:38 PM

Rex in Pinetop
Tom, I just pulled my Annie out of the box to check out your idea. . . .

vsmith
Too late. Finally couldnt take those single axles anymore . . . .

Not having one I had no idea of the construction of the undercarriage. I was merely trying to give Vic an idea but looks like he went overboard, as usual. (Well, almost anyway.) Vic I like the looks of the "trucked out" car, except that it looks a bit stubby. Have you given any thought into making the car longer?

(Yeap, I’m fitting fire by spraying gasoline on it. Just having a bit of fun at the expense of a "master basher".)

Tom Trigg

• 676 posts
Posted by Rex in Pinetop on Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:11 PM

Tom, I like your ideas.  Keep them coming.

Vern, Looks good and not a toy anymore.

Rex

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:40 PM

The thing is that these are perfectly passable as 2-axle late Victorian/early Edwardian coaches, there are several around in preservation, but I'm aiming at closer to WW2 era so the bogies are more correct, plus with all the hubbub about these having trouble operating on R1 curves made me decide to axe the singles, now I have some very nice very big wheels to experiment with. Besides at $36 bucks there inexpensive enough to mess around with, if these were Tenmille or Accucraft coaches they be more like $360 bucks.

• 1,407 posts
Posted by dwbeckett on Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:29 PM

way better looking coach

Dave

The head is gray, hands don't work , back is weak, legs give out, eyes are gone, money go's and my wife still love's Me.

• 788 posts
Posted by Mr_Ash on Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:14 PM

Very Nice! I got my sisters kids a Thomas set for christmas and I have been wondering how the coaches would look converted, The freight cars are alot easier the faces just pop off Tongue

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:29 PM

Painted

Still need to add some detail paintng and a nameplate, I've chosen "Eowyn" and if I ever do the same to another coach it will be called "Arwyn"

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:10 AM

Must be having a very senior moment here, or I missed something!  How did we make the jump from "Thomas and Friends" to the "Elf Lords?"  Like the new color.  Needs a touch of either chrome or woodgrain.  Think the window "sills" would look great with a bit of woodgrain, chrome door "accessories" to add a touch of "1st Class."

Tom Trigg

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy