Trains.com

What are the best RR photos?

21 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,116 posts
What are the best RR photos?
Posted by Boyd on Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:36 AM

What are the best railroad photos out there?

Modeling the "Fargo Area Rapid Transit" in O scale 3 rail.

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:14 AM

This may turn out to be a long thread!  Theoretically, as many images as persons judging them could appear here, provided the copyright laws are okay with it.  I have found some really nice ones on railpictures.net, too many to link.  Among my favourites are those of the CPR Stoney Creek bridge or the Cisco crossovers in the Fraser Canyon of southern BC.  There is an email circulating with a Power Point slide show with some really nice images from both Canada and the USA.  One of them shows a CP train running along a stony shoreline in New York, maybe Finger Lakes (?).  Quite spectacular.

-Crandell

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:30 AM
There will be as many opinions as there are people. The best photograph is one that speaks to you. It may not speak to anyone else. Chris just posted a bunch of good ones in the Lounge; none of them have a train in them.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 11,971 posts
Posted by oltmannd on Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:38 AM
Wow. That depends on what you like. Do you like pictures that emphasize the equipment? The setting? The engineering? The people? Night shots? Dramatic lighting? Only sunny days? Backlit? The geometry? Or, some combination of these? railpictures.net has lots of good ones, but they limit their selection to what they feel is "good". If you like night shots, check out the work of Gary Knapp. I think his stuff is phenomenal. But that's just me!

-Don (Random stuff, mostly about trains - what else? http://blerfblog.blogspot.com/

• 5,921 posts
Posted by MP173 on Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:03 AM

I have always enjoyed railroad photos in which the railroad is a part of the overall environmental scene.  That doesnt necessary mean scenic shots of mountains, deserts, streams, etc, but could mean a city or urban environment as well.

A friend told me years ago, while looking at a few of my trains photos, "trains certainly have a way of enhancing the surroundings."  So, that is what I look for....well composed, using existing lighting to the best advantage and it doesnt to have a human interest.

Ed

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:42 AM

.....I'm sure there will be endless opinions on this thought.

Quentin

• 343 posts
Posted by htgguy on Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:26 AM

When I look at other people's photos, the "best" ones make me wish I had been there when the shutter was released.

My own "best" photos incorporate things like unique movements:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/look4trains/4009752796/

or dramatic weather:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/look4trains/3618519176/

or stunning scenery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/look4trains/4273653857/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/look4trains/4273654193/

or memories of good times shared with other railfans:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/look4trains/4252768534/

All  of these things bring back fond memories of when the shot was taken. They are usually out of the ordinary happenings for me.

Jim

• 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:46 AM

There's no clear cut answer to this one. Even defining what is "good" will be difficult, let alone defining the "best." Personal tastes are highly subjective so what is good, better or best for one individual could be bad, worse or worst for another! That being said, let's take a look at what makes up a successful photo.

Subject Matters - This is probably one of the most subjective ingredients in the make-up of a good photo. While it's true that we all enjoy railroading as a subject, there are lots of subsets that are photographable. There are photographers out there whose sole goal is to take effective roster shots. While I appreciate the work that goes into a good roster shot, they don't do much to light my fire. Railroading is a dramatic industry. I like shots that show that drama. Whether it be a steam locomotive with a thick plume of grey/black smoke against the sky, or a railroad worker out in terrible weather doing his or her part to make sure things keep running, or the beauty of the railroad world after dark, etc. etc. Finding a good subject is definately one of the key ingredients to a successful shot.

Light Matters - "Photography" literally means light painting from Greek. It's important to keep that in mind. What do you want to paint? How do you want the light to work for you? It's become a cliche that noon day light is to be avoided. Why? It's true that it's very harsh and contrasty, but I've seen photos that use that light to tell a story. Likewise, photographers generally hate sodium vapor lighting. Yeah...I'm not the biggest fan, but it can be used effectively, too. It's easy to take a photo at sunrise with golden hour light. Just be sure that it's not the only paint on your pallette.

Composition Matters - I think more than any other factor, composition can take a ho-hum photo and make it great. Larry (tree) often quotes the rule of thirds. There's a good reason for that. The rule of thirds makes for a more interesting photo. However, I've seen offsets other than the rule of thirds that work, too. It really depends on the scene. What is the photographer trying to say with the photo? Likewise, other elements can be effective. Leading lines, for example, play a big part in railroad photography. By the very nature of our hobby, we have lines that can be used to lead into and out of frames literally everywhere!

Location Matters - Railroads are integrally tied to the world they operate in. For me, the most successful railroad shots are those that tie railroads into that world. Mountain railroading is vastly different than railroading on the high plains and both are very different from railroading in the city. The challenge is to show those differences. Composition plays a big part in this. Why does a photo of railroading in the mountains work? Does a photo show the challenges that had to be overcome? Does it show the beauty of the scenery the line is operating in? The late photographer Gary J. Benson talked of "trainscapes" in his book The Art of Railroad Photography. For me, trainscapes are some of the best railroad photos (but that's probably because I enjoy both railroading and landscape photography).

Equipment Matters - Yeah, the most important piece of equipment is behind the camera, but equipment does matter, too. Ultrawide, supertelephoto and ultra fast glass open up opportunities that are simply not possible with more pedestrian optics. However, with that equipment comes a greater challenge to use it effectively. Think about that when looking at photos. Is the photographer using his or her ultrawide lenses effectively to force perspectives, or is it just an attempt to cram more into the frame?

You Matter - When viewing photos, think about them critically. What makes a photo special to you? It's fine to look at photos casually and pick out favorites. But if you're trying to define "the best" RR photos, start looking at them more critically. When you see a photo that tickles your fancy, take the time to define why it does. Think about the points I've listed above. Is it the subject? The light? The composition? You can get other's opinions on shots, but until you figure out why it is that you like the photo, you'll never be able to define "the best" railroad photos.

-Chris
West Chicago, IL
Christopher May Fine Art Photography

"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." ~Ansel Adams

• 25,009 posts
Posted by tree68 on Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:34 AM

Look at the wide variety of entries and the even wider variety of opinions in the "Trackside Photos" feature. 

Even in our own photography, we turn out clunkers and keepers.  I've had a few that looked so-so in the viewfinder but ended up being incredible on the "big screen."  And vice-versa.

Some prefer "formula" shots, like the ubiquitous 3/4 "roster" shot.  Anything else is a waste of their time.  Others prefer more arty shots, settling for a less than perfect composition or exposure because the end result speaks to them, as Carl mentioned.

Equipment is important.  That's why my Sony 1.2 mp sits on the shelf while I shoot with my Digital Rebel.  On the other hand, I've shot some keepers with the Sony, which is why I harp on composition. 

We could assemble 1000 railroad pictures of all sorts, and in the end, I don't believe we'd have a clear-cut winner.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:28 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with both Chris and Larry. While I don't take all that many train photos anymore due to time and transportation problems (and the trains I ride every week to work are now boring to me!), I do take tons of non-train related photos, and those same rules apply.

To add my thoughts to what Chris and Larry have already written:

Subject matters: Of course! You need something cool to shoot, although this is a bit different because you're not just limited to trains.

Light matters: Yes, but I again agree that you can make it work. Maybe not for a clear roster shot, but you can come up with something creative and get a unique image all the same.

Composition matters: This, in my opinion, is the MOST important part of a photo! I've been out shooting in the same place at the same time as a friend, and our shots were exactly the same in exposure and lighting (it was a cloudy day) but the composition made a huge difference.

Location matters: Yep. No comments here.

Equipment matters: Yes and no. I've seen great results with point-and-shoot cameras, but the lack of shutter lag on DSLRs not to mention quality, RAW capability, and lens capability makes a big difference once you move past the beginner phase.

You matter: YES! Not only when viewing photos, but when taking the photos too. Modern cameras take good photos by themselves, but without someone to frame the photo and push the button, nothing happens. It's your creativity that makes it all happen.

And to Larry's comment about formula v.s. artsy shots, I tend to shoot the train and work with what I have - forget the formula and the artsy shots. I don't really like my skills as a railroad photographer - the photos come out okay but none of them are all that good. I have 1300 photos in my collection, but only about 20 really stand out to me as being "good" photos.

Chris: I saw your train-less shots in the Lounge...if any of you are interested in seeing the photos I actually like - with no trains - you can find them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainmanty/sets/

I like shooting trains, but can't find a way to get anywhere nice-looking that has a lot of trains. I can bike to several beautiful locations but one line is one of those two-trains-per-day-and-one-of-them-is-at-midnight places, and the other runs as needed: three times a week if traffic is heavy. Disapprove

• 536 posts
Posted by K4sPRR on Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:59 PM

TrainManTy
I like shooting trains, but can't find a way to get anywhere nice-looking that has a lot of trains. I can bike to several beautiful locations but one line is one of those two-trains-per-day-and-one-of-them-is-at-midnight places, and the other runs as needed: three times a week if traffic is heavy. Disapprove

Taking a photo, any photo, is freezing a moment in time at a location that can never be repeated.  If you have a rail line that is seldom used, railfan patience...shoot it.  Herbert R. Harwood Jr. a noted rail photographer I happened to personally meet while railfanning one day several years ago told me of a photo he took of a lonely looking train out in the middle of nowhere.  He said he drove half way across the country, waiting for this train on one of the few days it ran.  It showed up, he took the shot and today it is the only known photo of this train to exsist. (It has been published in books, I am sorry I cannot recall the name at this time.Ashamed)   The line has been long gone.  So, what are the best RR photo's...the one's you took. 

• 11,971 posts
Posted by oltmannd on Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:00 PM

I'm going to add a bit to the "You matter". Some of my favorite photos are ones I've taken. Not because I took them, but because they are vivid reminders of where I was, what I was doing, who I was with and how I felt at that time.

Here are some of my favorites

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=90572

This one is a lousy shot, technically. It was dark out! But these locomotive were some of the first I got acquainted with when I started working. They were new when I was a new RR employee. Here they were, together again, doing what they had been purchased for. Very sentimental....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=10243

One of the first weeks I was at RPI, I walked down the hill and across the river to catch the Adirondack on fall weekend. Got to Plattsburg and took this picture. Was planning to find a room and ride back the next day. Walked all over town - no rooms. Something going on a the local AFB. Rode Trailways back. Big adventure for a college freshman by himself....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=9268

Summer vacation. Wife gets beach. I get trains. A really nice day!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=8660

Trip with a couple of railfan buddies after senior year of college. Chased this guy all the way from Maine up to and through Crawford Notch. Had to draw straws to see who go stuck in the back seat an AMC Javelin. (remember them?) A fun time with friends.

-Don (Random stuff, mostly about trains - what else? http://blerfblog.blogspot.com/

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:37 PM

TrainManTy
...if any of you are interested in seeing the photos I actually like - with no trains - you can find them here:

Really enjoyed looking at your display of night photos....Not the ordinary....Liked your approach to the subjects, and the results.

Quentin

• 9,810 posts
Posted by Paul_D_North_Jr on Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:10 PM

I'll add another one:

Caption Matters - Tell the viewer what's notable about the photo and why you took it - esp. if it's not of something common like Horseshoe Curve - unless you really want the viewer to puzzle over it.  Don's 1st photo above is a good example of that - without his comments, I'd just take it as a fair photo of a lash-up of plain-Jane Geeps hauling a pig train on a super-elevated curve in some nice suburban scenery - I'd just be guessing at the significance of it.  But now with his explanation, it makes much more sense, and now that photo 'speaks to me' more.  Even RWM said it makes the photo "1000x more meaningful" with a comprehensive caption, in his comment to Ryan Dadgari's recent photo and extensive caption about the UP train in the snow along the Truckee River at Donner Pass next to the old power plant flume, etc. - I'll post a link to that shortly, so that you can read the caption for yourself.  See the Original Post and the caption at the linked photo under "Truckee River Canyon Comstock History" at - http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/166436.aspx , now just at the bottom of Page 5 of 34 of the list for this General Discussion Forum. 

"Nice shot, but even more appreciated is your description of the scene, the elements, and the history.  That makes it 1000x more meaningful.

RWM"

The other 3 are pretty-much self-explanatory, enough so that I quickly get most of the gist of them - esp. if the location is provided - though I might not pick up on all the nuances.  That beach-and-train picture reminds me of the AT&SF at San Clemente, Calif. - I had no idea there was something like that in the NorthEast.

I figured this out when attending various concerts, and enjoying the ones much more when the performers told a little bit about the music, why they wrote it, what it is supposed to mean or convey, etc.  Maybe that could be viewed as 'spoon-feeding' the audience, but unless we know just as much about the subject as the photographer, you're just trusting to luck or the curiosity and intellect of people who are too often pressed for time and maybe not as well-informed anyway.

Thanks for sharing those, and the background to each, Don.  I understand why they're special to you. 

- Paul North.

"This Fascinating Railroad Business" (title of 1943 book by Robert Selph Henry of the AAR)
  • 2,116 posts
Posted by Boyd on Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:46 PM

A few good photos so far. I imagined a thread with a bunch of good photos but not a conversation about photos.

Modeling the "Fargo Area Rapid Transit" in O scale 3 rail.

• 25,009 posts
Posted by tree68 on Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:10 PM

Boyd
I imagined a thread with a bunch of good photos but not a conversation about photos.

Should have said so.

Still, if folks take to heart some of the concepts that were put forth, they'll be taking better pictures for it.

LarryWhistling
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 217 posts
Posted by AnthonyV on Friday, January 15, 2010 5:55 AM

Check out this photo of an early Boston & Providence train approaching Canton Massachusetts.  To me, it is certainly one of the most remarkable railroad photos.

http://www.iknowarailroad.net/photoalbum/page276.htm

Anthony V.

• 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Friday, January 15, 2010 3:54 PM

Boyd
A few good photos so far. I imagined a thread with a bunch of good photos but not a conversation about photos.

Ahhhh...well, how about a combination of the two? I'll post a few of my favorite shots that I've taken, and then break them down why I like them. (I apologize that most if not all of these have appeared in the forum already...I don't have much new work, and nothing of any quality).

Let's start with my avatar image, Welcome Back, #346!

Back in December of 2007, the Colorado Railroad Museum had a special event to welcome DRGW #346 back to active service after a long rebuild. There was a light snow the previous night, and the temperature was low enough to allow some of the classic beauty of steam in winter (e.g. steam curling around the boiler and such). 

This is arguably the best photograph I've ever taken. Personally, I really like it because there's a bit of mystery to it. #346 is emerging from a cloud of steam she herself produced. There's a fun contrast between the bitingly hard details of the smokebox, and the whispy, soft details of everything else obscured by the steam. There's a satisfying range of tones from bright whites to dark blacks. There's just a hint of color...enough to add to the picture, but not so much to overpower it. I think it leads to a very balanced, and satisfying picture. This is probably the picture I'm most proud of.

Oh yes...for those of you that don't know the layout of CRRM, I'm not set up in the middle of the tracks. The locomotive is steaming out of the roundhouse onto the turntable. I'm perfectly safe in the shot.

Next, Northern Nights

This is a shot of #844 on the point of the Denver Post Frontier Days train back in 2008. It was a ridiculously hot day -- temperatures at or above 100ºF. I have to imagine the temperature in the cab was above 140ºF. It couldn't have been pleasant.

It's always a challenge to shoot a steam excursion like this. There are people everywhere! Fortunately, as the train was backing into the station, everyone was headed back to get a different shot. For a few minutes, the crowds cleared, and I had a mostly clear view. At the time, the UP crew was using 844 exclusively to move stuff around. However, as they were backing here, the load got to be a bit too much for the big northern. A crew member went running back to get into 6936 and give the steamer a little boost.

While that was occuring, I set the tripod up and was going to get some nice blue hour shots. Lo and behold, all of a sudden, a burst of steam/condensed water came out of the stack. As gravity took hold of the condensate and brought it back to earth, it fell in front of 844's headlight getting illuminated ever so briefly. Fortunately, I was ready, though, and grabbed a quick shot! The headlight beam is what makes this shot work for me. The other blue hour shots that evening are nice, but none have the impact of this one.

Next, 844's Smokebox

Another shot from another Frontier Day's outing. This was last year. Having done all the standard evening shots in previous years, I decided to have a go at doing some detail work. This was the most successful of those efforts. There was very little light at the time -- the exposure is 8 seconds at f5.6 and ISO 100. However, what light there was doing a dramatic job on 844's nose.

When I started post processing this one, two thoughts occured to me: 1) I really need to deepen the shadows to give it a nice "low key portrait" feel. 2) I needed just a hint of warmth, so a bit of sepia toning seemed in order. I think the combination makes for a compelling photo. The detail that really sets the shot off, IMHO, is the reflection of the Frontier Days Train in the headlight of 844. Another shot I'm quite proud of.

Next, Ski Train in a Blizzard

I had the opportunity to meet Mel Patrick awhile back. While talking with him, we discussed some of his more famous shots. Probably one of his most definitive is his iconic shot of the Rio Grande Zephyr in a snowstorm. He told me a bit about it, and how a burst of flash illuminated the snow a short distance in front of the camera.

When we had a blizzard come to town in March of last year, I wandered down to Union Station to get some shots of the ski train. Inspired by Mel, I brought along the old flash that I used to use with my Canon FD gear. During the longish exposures, I'd hit a patch of falling snow a few feet in front of the camera with a blast from the flash. It helped empasize that this was a shot taken in snowy weather.

Originally, I was really upset that most of the "Union Station, Travel by Train" sign was not lit. "IO TA I by" seems a little silly. Now that some time has passed by, I actually like the effect a little bit.

Next, BNSF Manifest Near Chemical

This is really just a simple shot of a BNSF train with trackage rights on the Moffat Sub, but there are a couple key elements that really make it work. I was using a mild telephoto to pull the background into the shot. The train may be out of the moutains, now, but they're not far behind it. Additionally, that blast of red from a nicely not faded former Superfleet motor (man, some of those are looking awful!) provided a really, really fun bit of contrast for the scene. It may be simple, but I think it's effective, and a favorite.

And...I guess that'll do for now. If you're interested in more, let me know, and I'll post a few more examples. I hope this is more along the lines of what you were looking for.

-Chris
West Chicago, IL

"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." ~Ansel Adams

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Friday, January 15, 2010 5:28 PM

No one can tell you your favorites.

But I will share a few of mine that stand out to me. While they may not to anyone else, they are a few of my best and my favorites:

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Friday, January 15, 2010 7:00 PM

Chris.....Just have to say it....Beautiful...!!

Quentin

• 25,009 posts
Posted by tree68 on Friday, January 15, 2010 9:27 PM

Chris makes us all drool....   Thumbs Up

Here's a shot from my recent trip on the Conway Scenic.   Not as dramatic as Chris's, but a neat perspective nonetheless;

The 0-6-0 had just put on a bit of a show, backing up the hill just south of the station, and had by now coupled onto the train.

Most have seen this one - my attempt to replicate the cover of the book "Polar Express" using our own Polar Express train. 

One of my favorites - and the small format does not do it justice - is this "grab shot" from the pit in the roundhouse at Greenfield Village in Michigan.  I had no idea it would be as powerful as it is when I pressed the shutter release:

LarryWhistling

• 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Monday, January 18, 2010 11:00 AM

Thank you, Quentin and Tree, for the kind words. Larry, your Polar Express shot is still one of my faves. I love that one!

-Chris
West Chicago, IL

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy