Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

layout dreams

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4 posts
layout dreams
Posted by durwood on Friday, January 1, 2010 7:45 PM

I recieved a train set last year (christmas 2008) which was a bachmann HO, your first track pack train set with two DCC equipped loco's ,a DCC  and E-Z track (which it came with). I have only read about DCC and was excited about my gift and had immediate thoughts in my head of the dream layout. Well it's 1-1-2010 and all I have is my initical set plus some extra track and a couple of extra cars laying on the spare bedroom floor. As I keep looking through my MR mags, I kept revising my dream layout so I can make my first completed layout the best that I can. I keep rearanging the track on the floor, making adjustments, using auto-cad to help me out (I'm 47 by the way), and I keep thinking that the 18 degree radius curves and the snap switch turnouts are limiting my thoughts of my dream layout. Thanks to the forums on MR online, I have decided to start out small with what I have, say a 25' x 50' layout (just kidding), more like a 6' x 10' with a twice around,chase my tail layout with a few industrial spurs in between .My main focus is the now bunge north america operation in Decatur, Indiana. It's a huge complex, but I have lived here most of my life and I am so aware of how they opperate here. I figured that to be close to prototype that from the beginning of the complex to the throat of the yard, it would be about 40 or so feet in actual footage .Sorry I got off-base. My dream layout got in the way again. Reliability is first on my list as with realistic operation along with good construction tecniques. I read in MR news (march 2002) "where are they now" about the cactus valley. I like the 4x8 main line run than others I've seen (did I mention that i'm 47?)I would like to think that I could model this as a "great first layout" with a bit different theme,grain,and a bit longer main line run. I would sure welcome your coments on this new (revised) endevor for which I am about to embarq.

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Friday, January 1, 2010 8:14 PM

Here is a thread from another forum that might be of interest to you.  6' x 10 in HO or fit on a door for N

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=114996

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 4,075 posts
Posted by fwright on Friday, January 1, 2010 8:39 PM

I started reaching analysis paralysis in my layout design effort last summer.  I couldn't (still can't) make up my mind whether to a walk-in G configuration with 24" aisle and more limited space, or a donut with 2 lift-outs and 40" wide center pit.

Neither configuration was going to achieve continuous run capability for a while due to slow construction pace with teenagers in the house.  With almost all of my locomotives being built from kits or needing major mechanism alterations, a continuous run is very helpful for testing and debugging.  So I decided to go ahead with a small, semi-portable test layout to test a lot of my ideas and plans.  The test layout is a 48" x 70.5" rectangle, with ovals in both HO and HOn3 to begin with.

The test layout will answer many questions:  Do I really want 2 different railroads, one narrow and one standard gauge?   Is a 24" aisle adequate?  Is 60" track height really too high - height based on running layout over computer desk and train workbench?  Do I have the capability to make my HOn3 locos run well enough for switching?  Will I even enjoy switching ops?  What couplers do I want to use?  What uncoupling methods are preferred?  What turnout throw mechanisms do I want to use (I have a variety on hand to test)?  Can I build a trestle that I will be happy with?  What scenery methods do I like?  Can I make reasonable looking cedar and fir trees?  I am finding building the test layout, to be followed by or in conjunction with a couple of small shelf sections that could be incorporated later into the "big one" to be very exciting, and consuming all the time I currently have for the hobby.

My path is probably not the best choice for the majority, but it suits me - and I am satisfied with my choices.

Fred W

....modeling foggy coastal Oregon, where it's always 1900....

• 116 posts
Posted by Pennsy nut on Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:44 PM

ratled

Here is a thread from another forum that might be of interest to you.  6' x 10 in HO or fit on a door for N

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=114996

ratled

That is a really nice little layout they designed there!  Looks like just what the original poster might need to get him started! 

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:08 PM

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all