Trains.com

PRR Baywindow Caboose?

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 52 posts
PRR Baywindow Caboose?
Posted by Zephyrx on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:57 PM

Did PRR ever have ANY ??   Info appreciated! 

• 7,474 posts
Posted by ndbprr on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Nope, never, nada, nein!  PC may have had some from the NYC side but the PRR never owned bay window or ACF extended vision cabin cars (not caboose in PRR vocabulary).
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:28 PM

ndbprr

Nope, never, nada, nein!  PC may have had some from the NYC side but the PRR never owned bay window or ACF extended vision cabin cars (not caboose in PRR vocabulary).

As a proud sustaining member of the Penn Central Historical Society, I can proudly confirm that the PC did indeed have ex-NYC bay-window cabeese, but I've never seen nor heard of any from the PRR fleet.

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:09 PM

Never did PRR have a bay window cabin car!  But you should see the neat things they did have in both wood and steel!

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 7,474 posts
Posted by ndbprr on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:33 AM

Bowser makes PRR cabin cars in both N5b (rectangular windows) and N5c (porthole windows).  Walthers makes a pricey pretty good N6b wood sided cabin car which was the predominant cabin car in the 50's.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:55 AM

ndbprr

Bowser makes PRR cabin cars in both N5b (rectangular windows) and N5c (porthole windows).  Walthers makes a pricey pretty good N6b wood sided cabin car which was the predominant cabin car in the 50's.

I did an N scale Bowser N5C in the Penn Central livery and it turned-out great (love the PC green).  In fact it was originally in the PRR Tuscan paint which I stripped.

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:46 PM
My daughter has an N-scale brass model of a wood-sided PRR Cabin Car. She's not a modeler--so why does she have it? That little car was pulled along behind the train on her wedding gown, as a tribute to her dad.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 81 posts
Posted by balearic on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:25 PM

Actually, the PRR *did* have bay window cabin cars; they just weren't like the ones owned by SP, NYC, or other railroads.  Pennsy's bay window cabins were classed as NX-23, and were rebuilt from X-23 outside-braced boxcars during WW2.  A photo of one can be found on pg. 104 of PRR Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment by Sweetland and Yanosey. 

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:38 PM

Yes, you're right....I missed them because I believe they were used and dubbed "transfer platform" or something to that effect.

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 7,474 posts
Posted by ndbprr on Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:05 AM

I considered that in my answer but they were nothing like the standard bay window caboose and saying yes would have given the wrong impression.  They were war shortage conversions and were pretty rare and ugly.

• 9,810 posts
Posted by Paul_D_North_Jr on Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:59 AM

CShaveRR
  My daughter has an N-scale brass model of a wood-sided PRR Cabin Car. She's not a modeler--so why does she have it? That little car was pulled along behind the train on her wedding gown, as a tribute to her dad. 

That's sweet, Carl Thumbs Up

Thanks much for posting that little story . . . because my daughter is getting married this Saturday !  

So you know what' I'm going to be asking her this afternoon, and then maybe trying to scrounge up in the next 2 days . . . maybe now I'll have something tangible to contribute to the celebration (besides her, of course).  She's wearing her mother's wedding gown, so that wouldn't be completely out of place - at least that's how I think.  I know I have 3 or 4 HO scale cabeese, and maybe a Z-scale, but they're all plastic . . . But 'brass would definitely have more class''.  We'll see . . . thanks again !

- Paul North.

"This Fascinating Railroad Business" (title of 1943 book by Robert Selph Henry of the AAR)
  • 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:24 AM

Don't have to worry about adding anything "railroady" to the wedding, the bride's gown already has a train!   Ah, guys, when you put me on the track, don't "tie" the knots too tight, it might hurt.

• 7,474 posts
Posted by ndbprr on Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:47 PM

I've seen some brides that a marker light on each hip would have been totaly appropriate

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy