Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Any information from a user of the Flea III from Cypress Engineering

14 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 28 posts
Any information from a user of the Flea III from Cypress Engineering
Posted by cptsail on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:54 PM

There are several posts over the last couple of years about the Flea from Cypress engineering. In this month's Scale Rails, they advertise a new Flea called the Flea III which comes already installed on cork and is ballasted.  I'm wondering if there are some posters to this Forum that have actually installed either the Flea II or Flea III so that we could get some real life examples of how this product works.  For the cost, you would think it would be worry free, but don't know, that's why I'm writing.  thanks

• 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Monday, August 31, 2009 7:13 PM

Is the Flea III available yet?  I looked at their web site a couple of months ago when I was interested in getting one of their Flea II turnouts and they weren't accepting orders because the Flea III was expected in late July or early August.

Now their web site says you have to place an order and wait for assembly and delivery, and they have only Shinohara code 83 turnouts available.

• 369 posts
Posted by MudHen_462 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:09 AM

Yep... The FLEA III is up and running. It is now only available on Code 83 Shinohara turnouts, and they now come mounted on their own roadbed section. (Your choice... ballasted or non-ballasted.) They no longer offer the "custom" FLEA mechanisms mounted on the turnout furnished by the customer... as I previously had mine mounted on Micro-Engineering Code 83 turnouts. 

Buyer now selects such features as: turnout type, ballast color, power routing, automatic  turnout control, and if you want the new optional TOMAR dwarf signal installed.

I chose to use the FLEA II turnouts only in upper track areas that were above hidden staging track (where installing Tortose units would be next to impossible) and in those hard-to-access areas. So far they have worked quite well, and I am planning on ordering a few of the new version 3 turnouts for such areas in my next "expansion" area.

Bob   

http://www.cypress-engineering.com/ModelRailroad.htm

• 2,751 posts
Posted by Allegheny2-6-6-6 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:20 PM

I am currently running 3 Flea II switch machine and knock on wood I haven't had an issue with them yet. Trouble free? whats that, this is model railroading which is synonymous with problems......lol seriously mine haven't been installed long enough to give you an accurate assessment and I do agree with you that for the money they should be as trouble free as possible.  In their defense though I will say if you add up the cost of a turnout, a switch machine and a stationary decoder the flea is in some cases cheaper. The last time I checked out their website the Flea II was available but I did notice that there seems to be less of a selection when it comes to turnouts. If memory serves me correctly you could actually send them your turnouts and they would install the Flea into them but I didn't see that option any longer. All the rest of my switch machines are Tortoise for the simple reason that in the event one goes bad I go under the bench work and swap it out for a new one with little or no fuss, with a flea your tearing up track and reballasting etc. I haven't met the person who likes ballasting that much how about you.

Just my 2 cents worth, I spent the rest on trains. If you choked a Smurf what color would he turn?
  • 369 posts
Posted by MudHen_462 on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:33 AM

The reply I got back from CE said that they no longer would install FLEA mechanisms on the turnout of your choice... and all of their FLEA III turnouts only come mounted on the roadbed. You can order them with plain roadbed, or your choice of three different ballast finishes.

I am ordering my version III turnouts with "plain" roadbed, and will ballast my own.... although like you, I think "ballasting" is a PAIN.  I was surprised to see that they limited buyers to Code 83 Shinohara turnouts only !!!

Bob

• 299 posts
Posted by JSperan on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:43 AM

I have always thought it was asking for trouble to have a switch machine be an integral part of a turnout.  Seeing the Flea's lowest priced turnout is $75US has served to convince me I was right in my thinking.

I did the math and even buying the tortoise at the single unit price I can't see the turnout, tortise, and decoder, etc. equalling $75.

Then there's the notion of having a Flea fail.  So much for any savings when you have to rip up a section of finished track to remove the turnout.  Then what?  No user serviceable parts in there.  So does one then pay to ship the turnout back for repair/replacement and meanwhile that section of the layout is "under construction"?  So much for any theoretical savings I think.

Then I have an issue because I want to start hand laying turnouts.  No option to have a flea installed in one of those.

I just don't see too many pro's but there are a lot of cons.

Besides all of this I don't want to use DCC to control turnouts.

No Fleas for me, not unless I get a dog.  Then the dog can have some fleas. ;o)

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:53 PM

You want low cost, smaller than a Tortoise, and even more mounting flexibility? In a 4-unit quantity you can get a DCC stationary decoder and 4 RC servos, the controller also has relays for powering the frog, the per turnout cost for this is about what 1 Tortoise costs without thr DCC decoder. And if you have an oddball location that's blocked by benchwork or lighting or another deck, just visit the RC section of your LHS for more ways to mount the servo and connect linkage than you can count. There's even an option for fascia buttons with LED indicators. And if you DON'T want DCC control, there are simple servo controllers that drive up to 8 servos and have the relays, and fascia buttons (just no DCC input) for even less. RC servos are pretty rugged - they can take falling out of the sky - and fairly low power (more than a Torotise, but still way less than solenoids - and relatively inexpensive. The drawback has always been driving them, but with cheap microcontrollers, now the required driver circuits are inexpensive as well. You can save money and skip the relays and instead use a microswitch or two that get tripped by the servo as another option.

Yes, I am using servos instead of Tortoises on my new layout.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 299 posts
Posted by JSperan on Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:30 AM

Randy,

I agree.  Microcontroller driver circuits are making servos and stepper motors much more attractive for use on the layout.

• 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:04 AM

Something I noticed on the Cypress Engineering web site is that they mention nothing about their warranty.

Someone mentioned last year that their terms stated basically that there was no warranty as soon as the Flea II was installed.

Are those still their warranty terms?

• 369 posts
Posted by MudHen_462 on Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:08 PM

Regretfully, now they only offer a 30 day warranty....  which may keep me from ordering the new FLEA III version. 

Bob

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:25 PM

We've all heard "Great idea, poor execution". To be honest, I think the whole Flea thing is "Great execution, poor idea" - amazingly tiny little motor and mechanism along with electronics for DCC operation, all mounted in an ordinary turnout. But then there are the concerns - track power only, what happens if it breaks, and limited options as far as what turnouts are used. It really looks like someone said "Hey, I have this awesome idea" and built a beautiful finished piece, but didn;t think the rest of those ideas through.

Kind of like what Digitrax would be if AJ didn't have Zana looking over his shoulder all the time. Great technology but totally unusable and unmarketable.

--Randy

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 327 posts
Posted by locoworks on Friday, September 4, 2009 4:19 AM

to add to rrinkers post, servo's for RC these days can be really small so don't imagine you have to find a home for 2x1x1.5 inch brick. some of the the latest stuff is tiny ( but not the cheapest ).  there is a DCC accessory decoder out there already that can control servo's,   http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/quadservodecoder.html  ,  it isn't the only option, but near the top on a google search.  being in RC for a few years i have a bit of experience with servo's, and the Hitec digital servo's have a stand alone programmer that can set the travel a speed of a servo.  so with the use of those servos setting up specific throws for signals, points or crossing arms would be a lot easier than juggling with linkages.

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Friday, September 4, 2009 6:06 AM

Actually that's the one I was referring to. They also have the Octopus 8 servo driver that's NOT a DCC decoder for those that would rather not. Team Digital, CML, and ESU all have servo stationary decoders as well.

--Randy

• 28 posts
Posted by cptsail on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:41 AM

Bob, I'm wondering if you ordered the Flea III and how this is working out for you?  thanks, Phil

• 28 posts
Posted by cptsail on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:46 AM

Have you ordered any of the Flea III's and how are they working out for you.  Also, are you still satisfied with your other Fleas?  thanks, phil

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all