Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Something I noticed in the Beer Line operations article

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 30,002 posts
Something I noticed in the Beer Line operations article
Posted by rrinker on Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:20 AM

When the first part was published, it was shown having a Bachmann Dynamis DCC system installed. In the ops article, each operator is shown using a Digitrax UT4R throttle. Someone swap DCC systems when we weren't looking?

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:13 PM

I didn't notice this before.  It makes you wonder, hmm.  I wonder if they experienced some problems with the system.

Will

Will

• 135 posts
Posted by kansaspacific1 on Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:46 PM

wholeman

I didn't notice this before.  It makes you wonder, hmm.  I wonder if they experienced some problems with the system.

Will

The controllers are infrared, hence line of sight.  The following statement appears in the MR review of the Dynamis system done in July 2008:  "The controllers can interfere with each other when used simultaneously."

Chuck

• From: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, now in Guthrie, Oklahoma
  • 665 posts
Posted by luvadj on Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:07 PM

I mentioned this very same thing in this thread:

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/150851.aspx

It's obvious that more than 3 people can't run an ops session with a Dynamis ...imagine passing the handheld around for everyone to use?

I don't think that they guys at MR thought that far ahead when they decided to do an ops session on the Beer Line.

And why not mention the fact and explain the differences in systems?

Bob Berger, C.O.O. N-ovation & Northwestern R.R.        My patio layout....SEE IT HERE

There's no place like ~/ ;)

• 941 posts
Posted by river_eagle on Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:35 PM

There is a far simpler reason, the Probox add-on for the Dynamis that allows the use of multiple throttles won't be out untill next month.

just guessing, but the pics were taken before xmas,because there is about a three month lead time for the mag, so even if they received an advance copy of the probox, they probably wouldn't have had one that early.   

When in doubt, rule #1 applies  Central Missouri Railroad Association cmrraclub.com
  • 103 posts
Posted by Neil B. on Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:58 PM

Hi everyone,

River Eagle is correct, our timing was off with the Dynamis add-on products.

Sincerely,

Neil Besougloff

editor

Neil Besougloff

editor, Model Railroader magazine

• 5,743 posts
Posted by simon1966 on Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:03 PM

Thanks for the answer.  I too was curious about this.

Simon Modelling CB&Q and Wabash See my slowly evolving layout on my picturetrail site http://www.picturetrail.com/simontrains and our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCrispybake?feature=mhum

• From: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, now in Guthrie, Oklahoma
  • 665 posts
Posted by luvadj on Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:14 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for us Neil. I can appreciate you folks wanting to bring the latest and greatest to the masses.

Bob Berger, C.O.O. N-ovation & Northwestern R.R.        My patio layout....SEE IT HERE

There's no place like ~/ ;)

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all