Trains.com

Famous Railfans question

19 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,134 posts
Famous Railfans question
Posted by bnsfkline on Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:02 AM

I know of Tom Brokaw, Gene Hackman, Walt Disney and Tom Hanks are rail enthusiests. But what about other countries with Will known rail fans? I know of only 3. Elton John, Rod Stewart and James May. (James May is one of the Producers on the BBC show TOP GEAR)

I have seen the list on Wikipedia, but what about you guys, who have you heard to be Railfans like us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

JOE: Hey man, how did your railfanning trip go?

MARK: Great man, got some awsome photos of a Box-on-wheels GEVO and had some company this time....

JOE: Oh yeah? Who went with you

MARK: Tom Hanks.

JOE: ..........

Jim Tiroch RIP Saveria DiBlasi - My First True Love and a Great Railfanning Companion Saveria Danielle DiBlasi Feb 5th, 1986 - Nov 4th, 2008 Check em out! My photos that is: http://bnsfkline.rrpicturearchives.net and ALS2001 Productions http://www.youtube.com/ALS2001
  • 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:27 AM

bnsfkline

I have seen the list on Wikipedia, but what about you guys, who have you heard to be Railfans like us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The problem here, bnsfkline, is that final phrase, "to be Raiflans like us".  No one wants to admit to that and therefore there is a great unknown mass out there!

But truthfully, this will be an endless search.  I've seen other forums hash this over and over and the list is always incomplete and misleading.  Are railfans those who build and operate model layouts, collect toy trains, photograph real trains, volunteer or otherwise work with a museum or touris line, will ride trains whenever or wherever, or just enjoy pausing and watching a train go by?  Take all the catagories, add a dozen more I never thought of, and you will find everyone, of all walks of life, are actual or potential railfans.  Frank Sinatra was  Lionel collector and Niel Young bought the company. But when it comes to the active sport of chasing trains, taking pictures, and riding trains, I don't belive those in the public eye flaunt thier avocation so that it rests on our shoulders to report any sightings and not rely on card lists of memberhips.  I will say this: paroachialy, I find many members of the broadcasting field are indeed afficianadoes, so there are very large local lists of "celebertey" who like trains.  After that, settle down for a long chat, longer waits, and an eventual long list..

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 769 posts
Posted by Kevin C. Smith on Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:21 PM

henry6

But when it comes to the active sport of chasing trains, taking pictures, and riding trains, I don't belive those in the public eye flaunt thier avocation so that it rests on our shoulders to report any sightings and not rely on card lists of memberhips. 

Well, I may be dating myself but the first people that came to my mind were Rogers Whittaker and Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg

"Look at those high cars roll-finest sight in the world."
  • 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:28 PM

O. Winston Link.

• 5,077 posts
Posted by locomutt on Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:24 PM

Mel Torme and Michael Gross

Being Crazy,keeps you from going "INSANE" !! "The light at the end of the tunnel,has been turned off due to budget cuts" NOT AFRAID A Vet., and PROUD OF IT!!

• 13,776 posts
Posted by wjstix on Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:16 PM

I think the question is to name people who became famous as railfans, but rather people who became famous in entertainment, politics, etc. who were also railfans...such as movie star Buster Keaton.

I would expect the number of such people in the UK would be higher than anywhere else by the way, largely because their more constant interaction with trains makes being a "railway enthusiast" more common.  

Stix
  • 200 posts
Posted by penncentral2002 on Monday, March 2, 2009 6:26 PM

Captain Sensible from The Dammed (an English punk rock band) is known to be a train watcher.  Apparently, he now insists that all Dammed tours include time to view the local transit systems

Zack http://penncentral2002.rrpicturearchives.net/
  • 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, March 2, 2009 6:57 PM

........Jackie Gleason.

Quentin

• 4,190 posts
Posted by wanswheel on Monday, March 2, 2009 7:43 PM

"Come along and ride this train, come along and ride this train. Across the mountains, prairies, reservations, rivers, levees, plains, come along and ride this train."  Johnny Cash

• 45 posts
Posted by Lear35A on Monday, March 2, 2009 8:16 PM

Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC.  I can't find the quote where they talk about liking trains, but their lead single off their last album was called "Rock N Roll Train," the video features trains, and they have a giant stage prop steam engine on their latest tour.  Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2xbqWtyJU

• 1,642 posts
Posted by bubbajustin on Monday, March 2, 2009 8:26 PM

Tom Brokaw is a news man right? He know's what a train is! COOL!

The road to to success is always under construction. _____________________________________________________________________________ When the going gets tough, the tough use duct tape.

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, March 2, 2009 8:45 PM
As the father of a budding musician/musicologist, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that composer Antonin Dvorak was the 19th-century equivalent of a foamer, according to reports. He also liked ships.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 9,810 posts
Posted by Paul_D_North_Jr on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:19 AM

John Madden, football broadcaster & former coach.  Supposedly he doesn't like to fly, so he goes by train - Amtrak or private car - almost everyplace he has to in the US.  O so I've read.

- PDN.

"This Fascinating Railroad Business" (title of 1943 book by Robert Selph Henry of the AAR)
  • 11,968 posts
Posted by oltmannd on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:07 AM

Paul_D_North_Jr

John Madden, football broadcaster & former coach.  Supposedly he doesn't like to fly, so he goes by train - Amtrak or private car - almost everyplace he has to in the US.  O so I've read.

- PDN.

He did, for a while, until Greyhound gave him a bus.  That was probably about 15 years ago.

I do remember him showing the the routine he had to go through in order to get the bed down in a roomette with out exposing himself in the hallway on one his football broadcasts.  (me, I was always thin engough to get the bed down w/o having to open the sliding door...not so for him.  He had to use the door curtains.)

I suspect the listening-to-the-scanner, photo-taking, railfan population is quite a bit smaller than the train-collecting, model RR crowd.  You wouldn't find Rod Stewart or Neil Young on railpictures.net.Cool

-Don (Random stuff, mostly about trains - what else? http://blerfblog.blogspot.com/

• 733 posts
Posted by Bob-Fryml on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:17 AM

Tom Snyder, the late television personality associated with NBC News, was a big time railfan.

I've also read where, during the early 1950s, some of the more active members of the M.I.T. model railroad club applied what they learned in designing model railroad signaling and control systems to the development of digital computer programming.  Scenery-wise their layout wasn't much to look at, but their block signals, crossing gates & signals, and C.T.C. were supposedly quite awesome.

Some 20th century railroad presidents come to mind as well like the "way-out-of-the-closet" brothers Claytor (Sou., N.& W. Amtrak), Bill Jeffers ("I'd rather be president of the Union Pacific Railroad than president of the United States!"), John S. Reed (ATSF), and I'm sore to suspect Alfred E. Perlman.

• 602 posts
Posted by Bruce Kelly on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:35 PM
Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and I believe Keith Emerson. Collins and Gabriel's interests lean more toward modeling, but Collins and the post-Gabriel Genesis did one of the finest (and least-known) railroad songs ever, "Driving the Last Spike." It's lyrics are based on the heroic efforts of early Brit railway builders, but they could just as easily honor those who chiseled through the lansdcapes of Donner, Stampede, etc. After the Genesis reunion tour a couple years ago, Collins announced he was putting off plans for further recording and touring until he and his son had finished building their model railroad.
  • 733 posts
Posted by Bob-Fryml on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:41 PM

One of the more lavish O-scale Maerklin modelers in Europe during the 1930s and '40s was the Reich Chancellor's corpulent buddy, Hermann Goering!

Faced with a growing shortage of steel as the war soured for Germany by 1943, it was Goering who suggested that maybe new steam locomotive boilers could be made out of concrete!

• 168 posts
Posted by LNER4472 on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:08 PM

Additions to the list that haven't been mentioned yet:

Britain's Prince Charles is said (without hard-core confirmation that I've ever found) to be a keen rail enthusiast--not just able to tell a steam loco from a diesel, but able to tell various loco classes apart, supposedly able to take the regulator of a train if he's in the cab, etc.

Britain's Pete Waterman is a music/recording company executive that has been said to be worth more than Virgin's Richard Bramson, and is probably the closest we have to a railroad tycoon with lots of trains to "play" with.  At one point, he had something on the order of 18 historic diesel/electric locomotives and a couple steam locomotives, and has personally bankrolled the restoration of the National Railway Museum's "Super D" London & North Western 0-8-0.  Do an internet search for more information.

• 6,567 posts
Posted by zardoz on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:49 PM

Grateful Dead?

"Driving that train, high on cocaine, Casey Jones you'd better watch your speed. Trouble ahead, trouble behind......."

• 9,002 posts
Posted by cherokee woman on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:17 PM

He's not a celebrity, as in a star, but Spencer Christian is a failfan.  He used to do the weather on Good Morning, America and he also hosted Tracks Ahead.

Angel cherokee woman "O'Toole's law: Murphy was an optimist."

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy