Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Any info for the NH?

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 12 posts
Any info for the NH?
Posted by NHfan320 on Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:44 PM

Does anybody have specific info for the New Haven in Connecticut?  I have been trying to get this off the ground for years, but I only got to planning it a few weeks ago.  I need some info for the RR to get started.  The sooner the better.  Please help.

• 3,312 posts
Posted by locoi1sa on Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:55 PM

Have you looked into the NH Historical society???

http://www.nhrhta.org/

Pete

I pray every day I break even, Cause I can really use the money!

I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

• 2,377 posts
Posted by leighant on Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:20 PM

You can find a lot of information on the New Haven from the articles in MR on David Popp's Naugatuck Valley.  Here are references to a few of them.  (I classified them in the order of town-by-town spots on the layout, and I have not input the last 6 months or so of articles...)

"I have been so fascinated by David Popp’s layout in April 06 MR that I just had to explore it more.  As it turns out, one can do just that by “re-purposing” Popp’s Step-by-Step column.  I did just that from my box of Model Railroader for 2005 and assembled this 'tour'. "

SYSTEM MAP showing prototype area with modeled lines Feb05 p.40

For orientation, I am following the map directions along the modeled line, and listing scenes from “north” to “south”, Hancock Bridge- Waterbury- Prospect Hill- Beacon.  With the exception of Hancock Bridge, “north” is to the left from the point of view of an operator in the aisle, and “south” is right.  Using these directions, I describe various structures, mini-scenes, etc as in the “north” of “south” end of a town.

HANCOCK BRIDGE

JDH Metals Foundtry Feb05 p.41

WATERBURY

Waterbury yard aerial view, showing 2-track freight house diverging to upper right and car cleanout platform. Jan05 p.36

Bank Street Jct. view towards Waterbury  Model Railroader Oct06 p.108 

“SOUTH” WATERBURY (for identification, this is what I am calling the back side of the main Waterbury depot scene, before the track goes under the underpass and around the corner to Prospect Hill)

Mainline with Quincy Smith and Grivno in background Dec05 p.48

Quincy Smith Pin Company Aug05 p.38

Grivno Coal low relief building Feb05 p.41

PROSPECT HILL

A&P warehouse with NH roof sign Jan05 p.53; Feb05 p.41

New England Brass Button Company Sept.05 p.40,41

(note: this industry was shown as built in the “aisle” of the layout, but April06 layout tour shows layout benchwork extended out to take in this industry, and some background structures relocated.)

Homes, residential scene Nov05 p.40

Polsgrove Fuel- wide shot of entire industry May05 p.40

closeup of coal delivery trestle Jan05 p.53

café just south of Polsgrove Apr05 p.36

BEACON

Wide shot over end of Beacon “peninsula” July05 p.36

Connecticut Trim Co. (with corner of depot and passenger platform visible) Jan05 p.52

Highway grade crossing over 2 track mainline, just north of Beacon depot, Apr05 p.37

Beacon Depot area, wide shot, Feb05 p.40

Highway grade crossing over 2 industry spurs, behind Beacon depot, Apr05 p.38

Downtown business district Jan05 p.54

Highway south of Beacon near church, Jan05 p.54

(from north to south on the layout)

PROSPECT HILL

Goat farm on a hilltop above town of Prospect Hill, looking down from “back” of layout

I call this “Hilltop Farm” although Popp did not give it any name in the photo.

MR June 2004 p.45

Cut at south end of Prospect Hill area where track goes directly from a cut with a retaining wall onto a deck bridge over the Naugatuck River. MR March 2004 p,53

Low angle from just above the river looking up at the same scene. MR June 2004 p.42

NAUGATUCK RIVER in gorge between Prospect Hill and Beacon

General view of end of peninsula MR April 2004, p.46

Close view on water in this scene  MR July 2004 p.40

BEACON

Crossing at north end of Beacon  MR December 2004 p.54

North end of Beacon station area  MR March 2004 p.52

South end of Beacon business district with road leading south MR August 2004 p.43

Hanson Piano Company just south of Beacon  MR September 2004 p.44

south end of Naugatuck Valley Model Railroader Aug06 p.36 

Since the south end of the railroad appeared first in MR articles, I would guess that end was sceniced and presentation first, before the Waterbury scene with its yard trackage and its impressive station building.

Naugatuck Valley backdated in 1947 steam Great Model Railroads 2008 p.94station/ poassenger scene Model Railroader Jun08. p.54 Naugatuck Valley  Waterberg car clean-out siding Model Railroader  Aug07. p.38Naugatuck Valley- Waterbury Industrial District expansion, “4 weeks to a bigger layout” Part 1 benchwork            Model Railroader  Sept 08. p.38part 2   Model Railroader  Oct08. p.48pt 4, buildings  Model Railroader  Dec08. p.72  

• 723 posts
Posted by BigRusty on Sunday, February 8, 2009 4:36 PM

NHfan320

Does anybody have specific info for the New Haven in Connecticut?  I have been trying to get this off the ground for years, but I only got to planning it a few weeks ago.  I need some info for the RR to get started.  The sooner the better.  Please help.

Find a copy of "New Haven Railroad" by Peter Lynch for starters. "New Haven Power" by Swanberg tells all you need to know about motive power. You can steep yourslef in knowledge of the New Haven by reading the many great books written about it if you can find them on E-Bay or Amazon.

Modeling the New Haven Railroad in the transition era
  • 3,232 posts
Posted by GMTRacing on Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:12 PM

Big Rustys' advice was good though the book by Swanberg is out of print and pricey these days. There are many books on specific parts of the railroad and equipment many still in print. If you can put up with their nonsense, the NHRHTA website is a treasure trove of information including current publications and links to other research sites.  Though it was frequently bankrupt or at least financially distressed, the New Haven managed a great deal of innovation before it disappeared in 1968.  J.R

• 723 posts
Posted by BigRusty on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:12 PM

Swanberg's book is available if you search for it. I bought mine from Karen's Books.

info@karensbooks.com

Also try Ron's Books, he has a ton of railroad mags and books.

Modeling the New Haven Railroad in the transition era

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all