Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Looking for Shelf Layout Plan

11 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 124 posts
Looking for Shelf Layout Plan
Posted by ss122 on Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:33 PM

Asking from help from the assembled brethern (And sistern?). In the past few years, MR published an article written by a guy named Scot something that begins with O. It was a shelf switching layout in HO. It used Peco turnouts, very presice track lengths, to provide a challenge to switch crews. I've searched the Subscriber Track Plan Database, but it ain't there. Anyone remember which issue it was in, and if the plan is available on line, in case I've tossed (or more likely can't find) my copy. Thanks in Advance. Ken

• 954 posts
Posted by stokesda on Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:10 PM

I don't know the specific author or article, but what you're describing sounds like you might be talking about the classic "Timesaver" or "Inglenook" switching puzzles. They both feature sidings/spurs of specific lengths (e.g. just long enough to fit 2 40' boxcars). Here's a couple of web links:

http://www.gdlines.com/Timesaver.html

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/

http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/home.html

You might find a lot more sites if you Google around for a while. Good luck!

Dan Stokes

My other car is a tunnel motor

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:07 PM

You are thinking of Scot Osterweil's adaptation of Linn Westcott's clever Switchman's Nightmare from 1956. Definitely not  a Timesaver, the Switchman's Nightmare is actually designed so you can do some work, not just suffer through a puzzle.

Westcott's layout:

Brief discussion of the Switchman's Nightmare from my blog

Osterweil's layout:

Link to Osterweil's layout description

The article you are thinking of was in Model Railroad Planning 2005

Byron
Model RR Blog

• 124 posts
Posted by ss122 on Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:20 PM

Thanks guys. I never thought to look in my annual MR periodicals, I thought I'd seen it in a monthly issue.  As all of us have said more than once, "I know I have it here somewhere". Ken

• 3,073 posts
Posted by JimRCGMO on Monday, January 26, 2009 9:49 AM

cuyama

Link to Osterweil's layout description

The article you are thinking of was in Model Railroad Planning 2005

Byron

Also, Osterweil's layout is featured in the Information Station PDF (for $) downloadable file, as I've bought that article. Go to the tabs at the top of the MR pages and where it says 'Articles', click on the 'Downloadable articles' pull-down from that. That will take you to the Info. Station pages.

Jim in Cape Girardeau

• 39 posts
Posted by JoninKrakow on Monday, January 26, 2009 3:46 PM
While the Switchman's nightmare layout may have been intended for genuine operation, I can say quite that Scot's layout is most certainly a puzzle--especially if you try it with the complete consist of 20 cars (10 inbound, 10 outbound).
I've done the Highland Terminal in N-Scale, and have much fun doing the puzzle, but it is a doozy when you use 20 cars. I've never yet succeeded in completing it in under an hour.
And, if you want prototype operation, you will find yourself quite frustrated with the very short switch leads, and the need to perform multiple switchbacks to get from the South (S) yard track to one of the industry tracks. I've tried to operate it more like a railroad, but it works best when treated as a puzzle. That's been my (ongoing) experience with it.

-Jon
  • 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Monday, January 26, 2009 4:03 PM

JoninKrakow
While the Switchman's nightmare layout may have been intended for genuine operation, I can say quite that Scot's layout is most certainly a puzzle--especially if you try it with the complete consist of 20 cars (10 inbound, 10 outbound).

Good point. I should have mentioned that I don't care at all for the puzzle aspect of Osterweil's plan. With fewer cars and less fussing about exact lengths, the Switchman's Nightmare can be a more realistic challenge.

But then again, I just don't like switching puzzles ...

• 124 posts
Posted by ss122 on Monday, January 26, 2009 4:26 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Here's the deal. After years of armchair modeling, it's time to build some sort of layout. My son has an interest in trains, he's the right age, and while the perfect basement may of may not materialize, 1x6 feet, or thereabouts, can fit in my basement now. 

I grew up watching trains in Westerly, RI. The yard there (local.live.com) resembles somewhat the Highland Central. I'll modify the track plan so I won't be using it as a puzzle solving exercise, but I needed to find the plan to have a starting point, you guys got me that far. As things develop I'll probably be back with my versions of the Great Questions of Model Railroading (foam or plywood, DC or DCC, what type of manual turnout control), you know, the stuff that makes up 50% of these forums. Anyway, thanks for getting my to the starting point, now it's time to draw up plans (pencil and paper or CAD?). Oops, sorry, that one just slipped out. Ken

• 1,747 posts
Posted by retsignalmtr on Monday, January 26, 2009 5:10 PM

there was a layout called timesaver plus in model railroad planning 2003 on page 84. it is basically two modules 16" x  45" in size and nicely scenicked.

• 39 posts
Posted by JoninKrakow on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:11 AM
ss122

I grew up watching trains in Westerly, RI. The yard there (local.live.com) resembles somewhat the Highland Central. I'll modify the track plan so I won't be using it as a puzzle solving exercise, but I needed to find the plan to have a starting point, you guys got me that far.

Is that yard the one that shows up right in the middle of the city in the sat view? What industry is that connected to it?

As to what changes to make, I'm sure you have your own ideas, but I think that simply moving the crossover that connects the two yard tracks to the right of the next crossover would probably solve the biggest bottleneck. Unfortunately, it will also add a couple feet to the length. You could simply add a removable section that you take off when you aren't running the layout. That might work too..... hm.... Now that I've said that..... I may have to play with that some on my own Highland Terminal. ;-) Thanks for getting my juices flowing!

-Jon
  • 124 posts
Posted by ss122 on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:22 AM

The long building with the two story west end was the NH freight house. To the north is Friendship street. Across the street from the freight house was Schneider's Mayonaise (sp?), whose spur curved behind (north) of the building. Like on Scot's layout, I'm thinking tank cars of vegetable oil in, box cars of finished product out. On the ladder track is a small crane used to load granite blocks (lots of quarries in the area) onto flats or gons. Plus plenty of team track space that will probably have to be lost to selective compression. That's all I've been able to piece together from Sanborn maps and a visit to the area. Local.live's birds eye view shows all of this quite well. Ken

• 39 posts
Posted by JoninKrakow on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:39 AM

Great description. And thanks also for showing me the wonderful bird's eye view! I'm now using it to explore my Port of Pensacola (my personal "prototype" for my Highland Terminal) :-)

-Jon

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all