Trains.com

What I've been working on, an HLW Double Mack

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 10,743 posts
What I've been working on, an HLW Double Mack
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:27 PM

What I've been working on..albiet very slowely, along with the Nww Blight pooper Mik sent me.

Probabaly the last model using Aristos drive bricks under the current fiscal restraints...

This is me using up some of those left over peices from all them other Mack bashes. It started as simply a double cab glued together with two radiators minus the hoods, it was going to go over a battery powered chassis, but after I got it together and painted I added the extra hood units and really liked the way it turned out so I built up the chassis, which is a thick sheet styrene w/ 1/4" basswood stiffeners, and 3/16 basswood stock built up end beams.

Drive bricks will be Aristo centercab bricks, likely taken from another less used model, as I'm trying to refocus on my most primary needs, I will likely be boxing and storing my larger items like the Superliner cars until I can focus on building the outdoor line, so I will take the bricks from the F40ph and use them on this model as this model is much more appropraite to the scale of my indoor line. I will replace the F40 bricks somewhere down the line when I can.

Have fun with your trains

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Friday, January 9, 2009 2:37 PM

Vic;

Why??Laugh You got no place to run it. You need to quit working at the workbench and get back to working on the benchwork!Whistling  Any time you want I open for a lend-lease option, so long as it would blend into a pre-1930's time frame.Bow Looking forward to seeing it completed.  Especially if you ever get interested in lend-lease.

Tom Trigg

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Friday, January 9, 2009 2:43 PM

Vic;

I would seriously be interested in acquiring something like a "shorty-freight-goose" should you ever get the whim to make something like that. Of course it would need to have the proper heraldry for "Chateau de Vic." I've got the passenger transportation covered, but could use something to deliver the burgers and beer!

Tom Trigg

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Monday, January 12, 2009 11:32 PM

Added the bricks, and couplers, runs nice as usual:

:D

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:20 AM

Vic:

Your imagination never ceases to amaze me. Bow What will be the final color scheme?Question

Tom Trigg

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:26 AM

I sprayed it that color blue when I was going to use the body for something else. I'll be painting the chassis black with silver for the grab bars and such.

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Monday, January 19, 2009 12:26 PM

Painted and decaled, note the double coupler up front, so I can pull everything Wink

I'll be giving a light weathering later on, but it came out much better than I expected. maybe I should send this over to Phil at HLW, he'd get a kick out of it, actaully might give them an idea for a future release :lol:

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:27 AM

Just a quick video of the boxcab testing, pulling the local train thru Borracho Springs on the indoor layout

• 1,407 posts
Posted by dwbeckett on Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:04 AM

SO What's next? when are you going to string the Cat????? BTW nice job

Dave

The head is gray, hands don't work , back is weak, legs give out, eyes are gone, money go's and my wife still love's Me.

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:25 AM

dwbeckett

SO What's next?

Mack bash, on the workbench, be afraid Mischief

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy