Trains.com

How'bout an Engine bashed from a RADIO?

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 10,743 posts
How'bout an Engine bashed from a RADIO?
Posted by vsmith on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:32 AM

How'bout a Mack bashed from a RADIO?

No kiddin'.. I bought a model of a CP Huntington of Evilbay that was advertised in the G scale section, what they didn't say was while it was actually somewhere close to 1/32 scale it was a static model and on top of that a really old, very old, am/fm radio! The domes were the knobs and the bunker held the batteries. Well I mulled it over for a while, then tore it apart (sorry, no before pics) to see what parts I could salvage from it, after drawing a couple sketches I eventually hit on a bash using whats simply become my favorite large scale engine, a Mack, I had one from Gold Coast, only one he had at the time was a clear one, which I  carved up and got:

I kept the interior simple, as it's just a fun project

After a while I finally got around to painting it, weathering looks more subtle in person, flash tends to over emphisis it.

Smile [:)]

Have fun with your trains

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:25 PM
Vic:  That monster looks more like a steam powered coffin than an engine.Clown [:o)]Whistling [:-^]  What kind of pulling power does it have?

Tom Trigg

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:08 AM

Hi Tom, I need to add some self adhesive lead weights to the underside, once i do that it has the same power as a regular mack. I dont want to overstrain the gears.

• 3,092 posts
Posted by ttrigg on Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:44 PM
Just how tall is that puppy?  Don't know if it is just my trifocals foolin me, but it looks to be twice the height of anything I seen before.

Tom Trigg

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Friday, October 10, 2008 11:25 AM
Its really no taller that any of the others, its just what happens when upscaling a smaller scale model. Thats a older Bachmann 1/22.5 big hauler figure in the cab.

• 493 posts
Posted by hoofe116 on Saturday, October 11, 2008 3:00 PM

Vic,

Okay, I'm seriously confused. (This is not difficult to accomplish). First, did you bash the am/fm radio into what's pictured, or did you use a different engine's components and mix 'em both together? Second, is that a freelance, or did something like that actually exist, more or less as depicted? (Using 'more or less' in the loosest sense).

I have this thing for homely engines. That thing is seriously homely. Wink [;)] It is also seriously neat. That concept could work very well on my backwoods SL. It looks like you put the shell down on 'something'--what was it? I'm speaking of the power brick, I suppose you'd call it.

Because you also posted 'in work' pixes, it seems a rank amateur like me could fab up something like that. I have an LGB track inspection car. But I think it's too short to work like what you did, and I want to stay 'near or around' F scale.

An admirable piece of work. Thanks for posting the series of pixes.

Oh, duh! 'A Mack'. An HLW Mack. Is that what you mean for a power chassis?

Lastly, could you post the L x W x H to the nearest 1/4"? Just so I have an idea.

Thanks,

Les

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:45 AM

hoofe116

Vic,

Okay, I'm seriously confused. (This is not difficult to accomplish). First, did you bash the am/fm radio into what's pictured, or did you use a different engine's components and mix 'em both together? Second, is that a freelance, or did something like that actually exist, more or less as depicted? (Using 'more or less' in the loosest sense).

I have this thing for homely engines. That thing is seriously homely. WinWink" src="http://cs.trains.com/emoticons/icon_smile_wink.gif"> It is also seriously neat. That concept could work very well on my backwoods SL. It looks like you put the shell down on 'something'--what was it? I'm speaking of the power brick, I suppose you'd call it.

Because you also posted 'in work' pixes, it seems a rank amateur like me could fab up something like that. I have an LGB track inspection car. But I think it's too short to work like what you did, and I want to stay 'near or around' F scale.

An admirable piece of work. Thanks for posting the series of pixes.

Oh, duh! 'A Mack'. An HLW Mack. Is that what you mean for a power chassis?

Lastly, could you post the L x W x H to the nearest 1/4"? Just so I have an idea.

Thanks,

Les

Les, YES - it was a plastic toy AM radio model in the shape of the CP Huntington, about 1/32 scale, it came on a plastic base with very bad looking fixed wheels, I completely dismembered it saved the parts shown and tossed the radio guts, base and wheels, and rebuilt it with some basswood strips all on top of a HLW Mack chassis and drive block. Its totaly freelanced. I'll have to measure it, but its not much taller than a standard Mack and no longer or wider.

LGB inspection car? I can't picture it, is that the truck? Pic?

I just bashed a LGB handcar chassis onto one of my Gooses that I shorted the motor out on, I had to cut it shorter to fit the small handcar body.

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy