Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

IHC 650 Ton Coaling Tower(Cheyenne) Model

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3 posts
IHC 650 Ton Coaling Tower(Cheyenne) Model
Posted by 4-8-4 chaser on Monday, August 25, 2008 4:52 PM

IHC  Cheyenne 650 Ton Coaling Tower Article

I am looking for information on where to find an article on the IHC Union Pacific 650 ton coaling tower model and tricks on its assembly. I think the article was written in the late 80's or early 90's, I cannot remember which magazine or who the author was. I built one before the article came out and I had all the problems the article mentioned. Bonehead here forgot to put the magazine in my files. If anyone remembers the article or knows which magazine, I would be very grateful. Going through my shelves is killing my old eyes.

Thanks-LoTek

• 2,477 posts
Posted by lvanhen on Monday, August 25, 2008 5:51 PM
I too have the "Cheyenne" coaling tower NIB - and would like to see that article again!!Smile [:)]
Lou V H Photo by John
  • 3,948 posts
Posted by TomDiehl on Monday, August 25, 2008 5:59 PM
 4-8-4 chaser wrote:

IHC  Cheyenne 650 Ton Coaling Tower Article

I am looking for information on where to find an article on the IHC Union Pacific 650 ton coaling tower model and tricks on its assembly. I think the article was written in the late 80's or early 90's, I cannot remember which magazine or who the author was. I built one before the article came out and I had all the problems the article mentioned. Bonehead here forgot to put the magazine in my files. If anyone remembers the article or knows which magazine, I would be very grateful. Going through my shelves is killing my old eyes.

Thanks-LoTek

Take a look at Model Railroader, June 1986 issue. It's listed as "modeling a 650 ton Coaling Station."  It was also published in the book "Trackside Structures that You Can Build."

You do realize that there's a searchable magazine index on this site.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to. Chief of Sanitation; Clowntown
  • 8,676 posts
Posted by maxman on Monday, August 25, 2008 8:41 PM

Take a look at Model Railroader, June 1986 issue. It's listed as "modeling a 650 ton Coaling Station."  It was also published in the book "Trackside Structures that You Can Build."

..................................................................................................

I don't believe that this is the article you are looking for.  There is a photo in the article that is "similar to the author's model".  The photo sort of shows an along-the-rails view under the tower but not much detail.  The caption says that the prototype is at Cheyenne.

However, the article does not appear to use any portion of the IHC model.  The support structure is done with Central Valley girders, and the rest is done with a plethora of other miscellaneous materials. 

• 2,844 posts
Posted by dinwitty on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:59 AM
I have that model, its close also what the N&W had What are the problems? mine not yet built
  • 398 posts
Posted by msowsun on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:09 PM

The IHC 650-Ton Coal Bunker was reviewed in the Sept 1987 MR on page 37-38. It gave a few tips on how to assemble it as well.

There was also a photo in the August 1995 MR showing a slightly modified kit on a layout.

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:51 PM
That;s cool. Much better in the frey than the red though

-Morgan

• 966 posts
Posted by 0-6-0 on Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:15 AM

Hell the only info I can give it is big and takes a lot of room to get lined up. My dad made mine some time back and said it was to big for his layout. So he gave it to me. It will work for me but the trains will have to back up to get under it no run though. I see from the photo mine is missing some stuff I will have to see if dad still has the parts ? Here is some pics of mine.

have a nice day Frank

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all