Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

My Loco "soundscape" audio project finally works!

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 180 posts
My Loco "soundscape" audio project finally works!
Posted by Otis on Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:52 PM

Thanks to all those of you in the trains.com forums who know about electronics and helped me with suggestions here on everything from how transformers work to calculating resistor values.  Electronics are still a mystery to me.

My goal in this was to have fun with some leftover sound decoders and combine my interest in audio and computers with HO train modelling.  I also wanted to switch from installing sound decoders in my locos ( I have converted quite a few) and create a tunable soundscape of loco audio that could be MU'd to any regular DCC loco.  I was encouraged when I read a post from someone (forgot who, I'm afraid) who said he'd hooked up a decoder in a stationary setup that gave quite a realistic "in the cab" experience.  Although I think what I have got is more like trackside sound. 

The project took 6 months from my early musings to the finished product (with a month off for a holiday overseas).  Half the time was spent learning what I needed, and the other half driving back and forth to the city to get the components.  It didn't help that two parts I used had failed unbeknownst, and delayed me no end trying to puzzle out why I was getting nowhere fast.

In the end this is what works for anybody that cares to know:

I used the suggested Soundtraxx DSX stationary decoder circuit with small audio amps, but no potentiometer.

However, I reversed the transformers because the level was too intense, and the pot had a very small range of effectiveness..either full on or a small partial turn shut off the signal.  No good.

A great benefit of this is that the decodes run very, very coolly.  In fact they don't even warm up.  When connected via the Soundtraxx circuit they ran hot.

As is, the signal leaves the transformers at line level and is then jacked in to the AUX IN of the stereo receiver.

I found that each decoder needs its own transformer.  Combining decoder output in any fashion, either through terminal strips or switches with a common transformer, would result in the signal being dissipated or something.  I am an amateur, so I am not sure.

Also, the six transformers had to be switched through a double pole rotary switch.  When I had them in parallel through a terminal strip the signal was also dissipated.

I had to add another complete audio circuit for each decoder because my Digitrax Zephyr would not recognize the presence of a decoder with the transformer in the way.  I would not be able to alter CVs to MU these decoders with the moving locos....which was the object.  Therefore I inserted 6 DPDT switches.  These shift the signal from the transformers and output, to an internal 8 ohm speaker.  When I need to program the decoder, I must have this switch in the correct position.  This is not a bad thing as it provides another security level against inadvertently powering up two decoders at once and feeding the signal from one back onto another.  To to that I would have to ignore the power LED and throw 4 switches incorrectly.

The small internal speaker also makes a good test circuit when making connections.

I was able to find all the major components amps, speakers etc. in storage around the house, except for the equalizer.  After initial tests I found the audio quality was quite good just through the bookshelf speakers.  But I thought I could make it better with the equalizer by splitting off the low frequencies to some old 12 inch woofers and fine tuning the horns and bells.  The decoder frequencies are not subwoofer level but they certainly can rumble  But the horns and bell become muddied if this is done with just one set of speakers.

The Behringer equalizer was a very good idea (for $75 brand new).  It gives wonderful fine tuning, bringing up the bell and whistle and tuning out a couple of small buzzes and whines that seem to develop from the DCC (although I have not gotten to grounding everything properly).  It also allows me to optimize the setting of each decoder.  The LCs have different properties than the DSXs, for example.

So far I have installed two DSXs, one Soundtraxx DSD LC EMD 1st Generation and one 2nd Generation [the Soundtraxx DSD LCs need resistors to simulate a load on the motor leads or the controller won't recognize them.  I used 100 ohm 1/4 W resistors].  I can't cover all bases, but I have chosen decoders to give a range of size and era of loco, whether it is a switcher or a 6 axle loco moving about.  The LCs actually have a better sound than the DSXs this way, but do not have as many sound features.

I want to experiment with a Digitrax Soundbug and have yet to install a steam decoder.  I haven't decided if I should use a spare Tsunami, or get another DSX.  I had a Soundbug working for all of 2 minutes, then I literally smoked it because I didn't cover the circuit board with tape and had an alligator clip fall across it.

Now the two sets of speakers go up on their brackets in the layout room and the amps and equalizer go on to some shelving beside the control area of the layout. 

Why am I doing all this?  Messing around with the AV equipment was my job before I retired early from teaching.  I enjoy being able to combine this with model railroading.  I guess that's what intrigued me a while back when I discovered model HO trains now made sounds. And with Decoder Pro I can also mess around on the computer with my trains.  And my wife thinks I am just "playing with trains" down in my basement cave.  Hah!  this is serious.  It looks more and more like the interior Cheyenne Mountain down here in my cave.

In the end, I'll just say that those little HO decoders can sure shake the walls when desired.

Next experiment, maybe a wireless camera on the loco and flat screen monitor opposite the command area.....maybe.

• 160 posts
Posted by Gerome on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:31 AM

Wow, that seems like a bit of work.  How well does the MU'd stationary decoder match the motion of the moving loco?  Do you have to play with the CV acceleration settings etc. just as if you were MU'ing two locos on the tracks?

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:45 PM

In some regards you have just re-created a programable version of a PBL sound system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150255009001&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

• 180 posts
Posted by Otis on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:15 PM

Hey that looks interesting.  I have never seen mention of one before. 

Too bad It looks like it is out of production on the company's webpage. 

Maybe I should get that one on Ebay and see what it can do.  Maybe I can integrate it somehow too.  Too bad it's a little pricey.  I made my gizmo out of leftovers except for the equalizer.

But I sure would like one of those retail gizmos to experiment further with, especially if it can be synchronized..  Maybe I could connect part or all of it somehow in my system.

But I want to save my money for the remote camera and monitor for now.

• 116 posts
Posted by Fawlty Logic on Friday, June 6, 2008 5:36 PM

Now that's quite a tangent you have gone off on.   I guess it's normal that HO modellers find some particular aspect of the hobby that they concentrate on.  I suppose some are super detailers, some are scenery pros, some are more interested the realism of intermodaling.

You obviously like to venture into the AV aspect.  To each his own.

Here is a link to a past thread on video cameras if that's the direction you are headed for.

http://cs.trains.com/forums/787137/ShowPost.aspx

Fierce-throated beauty! Roll through my chant, with all thy lawless music! thy swinging lamps at night.
  • 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Friday, June 6, 2008 5:50 PM
 Otis wrote:
Too bad It looks like it is out of production on the company's webpage.
Current ones are made by ummm Grizzly Mountain Engineering here in Colorado.  But I think they only make the steam sound.  http://www.g-m-e.com/soundsys.html

Maybe I should get that one on Ebay and see what it can do.  Maybe I can integrate it somehow too.  Too bad it's a little pricey.
Yes, it is pricey or I would have already bid on the thing.   I have gotten full PFM sound system ][s for under $150.  Likewise I sold a PFM Mark 2 for $75.   The other thing to note is that these are for DC powered trains not DCC.

especially if it can be synchronized
The steam ones are syncronized by feedback from a cam on the locomotive drive shaft.  I have no idea how or if diesel sounds were synced.

• 180 posts
Posted by Otis on Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:51 AM
 Gerome wrote:

Wow, that seems like a bit of work.  How well does the MU'd stationary decoder match the motion of the moving loco?  Do you have to play with the CV acceleration settings etc. just as if you were MU'ing two locos on the tracks?

Yes, it ca be matched just as closely as with two moving locos.  Of course, since I only "see" one loco moving, I have to speed match this by ear.  It takes a little playing around but it can be done in a satisfactory way without too much tuning of the CVs.  Perhaps it is even a little easier, since I only have to have the sound in sync and nothing visual.

• 180 posts
Posted by Otis on Sunday, June 8, 2008 2:17 PM

The replacement Digitrax Soundbugs have arrived.

What seems quite useful is that they are programmable.  I hadn't thought of that, but with the Digitrax PR3 I ordered (from Litchfield Station at a lower price than the Digitrax price) I can reprogram the Soundbugs from switchers to 6 wheel axles and a couple of steamers etc.  That gives a lot more options when using the 2 Soundbugs with the original 4 diesel decoders in installed. 

Here is the equipment on a rack with the laptop handy

And the switch on the wall gives the stationary decoders a connection with either the powered track, or the programming track.  It should make it easy to use the Digitrax software and PR3 to alter the Soundbugs as needed.

Apparently, one can also create one's own loco sound files and add them where desired.  Seems like more fun ahead!

http://www.digitrax.com/sfxbigpicture.php

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all