Trains.com

Does the bell toll for RBLs?

23 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 5,134 posts
Does the bell toll for RBLs?
Posted by ericsp on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:16 AM

A few months I posted that I noticed that TBOX and FBOX boxcars seemed to be replacing a large percent of the RBLs at tomato processing plants.

Saturday I was in Fairfield, CA, so I decided to stop by the brewery to see if I could photograph any RBLs. I was surprised to find about 90% of the boxcars there were TBOX boxcars.

It has also been a few years since the IBOX prototype was built. The January 2008 ORER lists no production IBOX cars.

It seems that there is a trend to switch from RBLs to plug door XM boxcars. I remember hearing that railroads are reluctant to buy new boxcars because they have a long payback period, or may not ever pay for themselves. Have railroads, TTX, and lessors found that RBLs are not profitable and therefore not replacing them as they wear out? If so, is this causing fees for RBLs to be high enough that shippers are deciding to switch to XM whenever possible?

"No soup for you!" - Yev Kassem (from Seinfeld)

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:54 AM

Can't disagree with you, Eric; I think it's been over 25 years since the last RBLs were built (other than that clunky-looking IBOX prototype).

Come to think of it, we usually see the imported Mexican beer arrive at Proviso in RBLs during the winter to keep it from freezing.  Not this past year, though--they used the same box cars all winter.  (Those exotic old box cars are one of the perks of my job--and I don't even drink!)

I can't imagine that plug doors afford that much better temperature control than sliding doors, but most new box cars from the past several years have had them.  I would say that if no RBLs come out in the next five years or so, you're probably right.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 2,843 posts
Posted by al-in-chgo on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:06 PM

This is where I have to ask:  What does "RBL" mean?  Dunce [D)]

al-in-chgo
  • 965 posts
Posted by Lyon_Wonder on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:32 PM
 al-in-chgo wrote:

RBL=insulated plug door boxcar.  Wisconsin southern has quite a few RBLs, and several of these have one of a kind markings, such as the 9/11 RBL, the model railroader 70th anniversary RBL, and the Athearn 50th anniversary RBL  Recently, WSOR painted a RBL pink for cancer awareness.      

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:40 PM
Just recently saw a WSOR RBL with a logo promoting the U.S. Air Force.  WSOR 503143.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:41 AM
 al-in-chgo wrote:

Here are the definitions from the ORER.

"RB - Bunkerless refrigerator car with or without ventilating devices and with or without device for attaching portable heaters. Constructed with insulation in sides, ends, floor and roof to meet maximum UA factor requirement of 250 BTU/F/Hour for 50 foot cars and 300 BTU/F/Hour for 60 foot cars. Effective for cars ordered new after March 1, 1984. Note: Cars built prior to March 1, 1984, must have been constructed with a minimum 3 in. of insulation in the sides and ends and 3-1/2 in. in floor and roof based on the insulation requirements given in AAR Standard S-2010 or a thickness reduced in proportion to the thermal conductivity of the insulation

"RBL - Car similar in construction to an 'RB' type car, but equipped in addition with adjustable loading or stowing device."

In other words, an RBL is a reefer with no means to cool the load that has a maximum heat transfer rate (or minimum insulation) and is equipped with load restraints. It may have ventilation and/or provisions for heaters.

Carl, perhaps that plug doors are to keep dust and moisture out. How much do sliding doors let in?

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:09 AM
Never been in a moving car to check, but I doubt that it's very airtight, especially with "experienced" doors.

Carl

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Monday, July 28, 2008 1:21 AM
Carl, does the QNPSKP seem to have more XM, or XP, boxcars and less RBL boxcars than a few years ago?

• 2,303 posts
Posted by Andrew Falconer on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:54 PM

I thought that National Steel Car built the TTX IBOX Double-Plugged Door Boxcars a few years ago. I printed out that page because I thought they were a great new version of the Evans Products Double-Plugged Door Boxcars. Now National Steel Car has completely changed their website.

Andrew Falconer

Andrew

Watch my videos on-line at https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewNeilFalconer

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:44 PM

Andrew Falconer

I thought that National Steel Car built the TTX IBOX Double-Plugged Door Boxcars a few years ago. I printed out that page because I thought they were a great new version of the Evans Products Double-Plugged Door Boxcars. Now National Steel Car has completely changed their website.

Andrew Falconer

It was Gunderson.

• 2,303 posts
Posted by Andrew Falconer on Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:59 PM

Oops [oops] 

Zzz [zzz] 

Looks like I was more tired at the time I posted than I thought.

In a magazine like RailModel Journal it was mentioned that sometime in the 1970's or 1980's there was a series of Western Maryland RBLs that were scrapped after no more than 18 years of service.

Are RBLs considered "disposable" when compared to other freight car types because they have to always be in great shape or they are unusable?

Andrew

Andrew

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:12 PM

ericsp wrote:
Carl, does the QNPSKP seem to have more XM, or XP, boxcars and less RBL boxcars than a few years ago?

Sorry for the week-or-more delay (just back from vacation), Eric--truth is, I don't know, since I rarely see this train (we don't have to switch it out).  If you have a consist from "a few years ago", I might be able to compare it to a few present-day consists, but that would be just a snapshot instead of the whole picture, I'm sure.

Carl

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:41 PM
I am sure I have some consists around there somewhere. My storage is also in disarray.

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:43 AM

The newest of the SP 50' RBLs with 8' and 6' doors turn 40 this year. Judging from the lack of this car type within the past few years, which once common around here, they must have never had a Rule 88 rebuild. It is a shame to see the end of one of my favorite types of cars.

• 2,303 posts
Posted by Andrew Falconer on Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:52 PM

With Greenbrier box car the railroads have to choose between a heavy-duty plug door box car and a Refrigerated Box Car. There is nothing else listed at insulated.

http://www.gbrx.com/Box_Cars.php?expandable=0

Andrew

Andrew

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:32 PM

The Del Monte cannery in Kingsburg used to ship exclusively in RBLs. I went by there a couple of days ago. There were 5 XM/XP boxcars and no RBLs there.

• 1,559 posts
Posted by WSOR 3801 on Friday, September 30, 2011 3:28 AM

A fair number of the WSOR RBLs are running up against the 40-year rule, and are going away.  Not really any in-kind replacements around, so other car types are getting used.  Going to be difficult for the canneries that have doors spaced for the RBLs. 

ATW 151xxx 50' hi-cube boxes were used a little while ago, with the proper forklift allowed quite a bit more product in the car.  Now some 60' inside length boxes are being used when RBLs haven't come back.  MET RBLs still show up from time to time as well. 

Mike WSOR engineer | HO scale since 1988 | Visit our club www.WCGandyDancers.com

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Monday, May 19, 2014 3:02 AM

Has anybody seen any new RBLs in the past several years?

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, May 19, 2014 10:41 AM

Not here!  And that WSOR fleet has been pretty well decimated now.

Carl

• 2 posts
Posted by jakirk on Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:37 PM

Good news!  Cryo Trans has 50 RBLs on order.

http://www.mhwgroup.com/news/item/113-cryo-trans-inc-announces-new-build-of-super-insulated-boxcars

• 1,080 posts
Posted by desertdog on Friday, May 23, 2014 10:20 AM

I was in Portland last week. The cars are currently being delivered. There were several visible at the Gunderson facility along Front Avenue, next to the BNSF Lake Yard.

John Timm

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Friday, May 23, 2014 9:25 PM

That would be good news.

However, the picture shown with that article is of CRYX 5700, a mechanical reefer.  It would be nice to have a number off the new production (which should be in use soon, if not now, according to the release) so we can check it out.

Judging from recent deliveries of all types of refrigerator and box cars, the new cars will be RBs, not RBLs. 

Carl

• 5,134 posts
Posted by ericsp on Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:26 AM

According to BNSF, they are CRYX 6000-6049.

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:45 AM

Yup!  RB!  There you go!

Carl

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy