Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Building/upgrading a Hobbytown/Cary E6A

32 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4,361 posts
Building/upgrading a Hobbytown/Cary E6A
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:44 PM

I've been gathering the proper kits and parts for a while now to build a Santa Fe E6A diesel, and now I've finally got just about everything needed to do it.Big Smile I thought I'd show some progress pictures so you can all see how it's coming along, and maybe get some ideas for your own projects.Big Smile

I'm building the diesel using an older chassis from Hobbytown, and a metal body from Cary (Bowser).

This is the chassis in its original construction. You can easily see that the gearing was all outside, and it stuck out far enough that trying to cover it all up wasn't possible. So, I decided to move it.

This was probably the hardest upgrade I've ever done on anything so far. The gears had to be pulled and repositioned, and because there were no ridges on the shaft where the main drive gear went, the gear had to be soldered on. I also had to split the truck frame in two, and grind out a lot of metal for clearance. The gear tower was too low when turned around, and had to be shimmed to get the proper gear mesh.

A third screw had to be added to the bottom to hold the truck together. This needs to be done slowly and carefully, or it can fail like my first attempt. The truck holds together fine, and the gearing works just as well as before.Big Smile

I replaced all the old U-shaped bearings with pieces of K&S #127 1/8" brass tube, since the old bearings allowed too much slop, and they weren't perfectly shaped so they caused excessive drag, especially with the body on (current draw with a new motor was well over half an amp at half speed). The new bearings have very little slop, and they allow everything to move extremely freely no-matter how much weight is added.Big Smile

The old wheels were half brass and half plastic, and at a scale 40", they were too large for an E-unit (the front set was also binding with the main gear). I found that Intermountain 36" freight car wheels were a near-perfect fit on the old axles, and needed very little modification to work. The spacers on the backs of the wheels need to be filed down half-way or more to get them to the proper width on the Hobbytown axles, so you'll want to keep an NMRA standards gauge and wheel puller handy to make sure everything's perfect. The new wheels look much better than the old ones, and they don't bind with the main gear, so except for a loss of a little traction, that change was a win-win.Big Smile

This chassis came with Hobbytown's (not Pittman's) massive DC-90 motor, which is a great motor if you've got a strong power supply, but at 0.4 amps out of the mechanism, I wanted a different motor. I replaced it with a Maxon 9-pole coreless motor, which has over 50% more power than a Mashima or Sagami, runs excellent at low speeds, and draws very little current under no load.Big Smile The only problem is it's too fast for a passenger-geared E6 past 8.5 volts (the chassis has 10:1 gearing), so I need to find a way to reduce its speed.

I plan on having the headlight semi-permanently mounted in the shell, so I made some simple little plugs using K&S brass rod and tube. With the plugs, I can un-hook the lighting for easy maintanence on the mechanism.Big Smile To prevent shorting, some electrical or masking tape should be used around the plugs or motor and shell.

The frame needed some grinding done around the front and back to fit the Cary body, and some grinding also had to be done to clear the repostioned gears. The body sat too low on the chassis before, and had to be raised about 1mm.

That's about all my progress so far. I plan on replacing the rubber-tube and rod universals with some good ball and socket universals from NWSL, and I'm also going to add a large 1" flywheel from NWSL. I'll be posting my progress (like painting, detailing, and upgrading) as I make it, so be sure to stay tuned.Big Smile

• 2,268 posts
Posted by NeO6874 on Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:37 PM

Bow [bow]

Impressive work Darth.  I do have one question though -- why did you use the old (?) gear tower instead of using a NWSL (or similar) replacement?   

-Dan

Builder of Bowser steam! Railimages Site

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:59 PM
Although the old gear tower isn't the quietest, it's one of the most reliable there is. The standard Hobbytown drive is also one of the smoothest once fully broken-in.Big Smile [:D] I've heard a number of stories on how bullet-proof (or even missile-proof) and long-lasting they are.Big Smile [:D]

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:40 AM

I now have the large 1" flywheel and one of the NWSL universals. Walthers made it look like there were enough parts for two universals, so now I have another set on order that I'm waiting for.Angry

Anyway, here's the most recent progress.Big Smile

The Maxon motor only has a 2mm shaft, and the flywheel and universals require a 2.4mm shaft (which I knew before I ordered them), so I drilled out the middle of some K&S 2.4mm brass tube to 2mm to get the flywheel and coupling onto the motor. It was kind of a trial and error process, and I never got one that was perfectly straight, so when I got close enough, I mounted the flywheel on there and drilled a couple small holes in the flywheel to get it perfectly balanced. The shaft on the upper gear was slightly too small (probably 2.38mm or so) for the universal coupling, so I squished the end of the shaft in a vise to expand it outward a little. The copper motor mount was soldered together before, but I discovered pretty quickly that solder is NOT a good mount for motors! The mount is now held together with 2 ton epoxy, so it should last forever now.Big Smile

Having just one of the universals in there was enough to improve operation a LOT, so it should be perfect once I get the second one.Big Smile And with that 1" flywheel on the coreless motor, this thing coasts like no other!Surprise

• 3,727 posts
Posted by trolleyboy on Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:43 PM

Bow [bow] Great work Darth. It should,be a beauty once it's done.Unfortunatly I wouldn't have the patience to rebuild it along the lines you have done and I would have wimped out and bought a proto E6. I admit it I'm kitbash shy when it comes to locomotives.Sigh [sigh] Still thumbs up on the great work.

Rob

• 3,672 posts
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:46 PM

The first Hobbytown kit - actually it was kits - I ever put together was their universal GP drive on which I mounted a couple of Athearn's GP30 bodies. They were, indeed, exasperating. I am not blessed with inordinate mechanical skills and I remember there were a couple of times I got out and out discouraged and came close to giving up. I didn't and with the help of a couple of the fellows in the club in Taxachusetts I eventually got the bugs out and they ran like a jewel. When I got ready to go to the Philippines in the fall of '65 I was made a very good offer and I sold them.

I will say this, though; I have never forgotten just how smooth those helical drive mechanisms were, once you get the slop out of them. I have been doodleing around with designing a helical drive mechanism for (at least) N-Scale steam locomotives.  

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 1,983 posts
Posted by SteamFreak on Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:58 PM

Darth, have you considered calling this series "Pimp My E6?" Big Smile [:D]

Cool stuff as usual. Thumbs Up [tup] So you cut/ground slots in the truck casting for the two large gears so you could spin the gear tower 180 degrees? The gearing looks awfully close to the bolster. Did you grind some of the frame away for clearance? I can't really tell in your last photo.

The gear tower is so sturdy that it looks like it came from an old electric can opener. Laugh [(-D]

Also, have you ever tried Timewell flywheels? I've heard good reports about them.

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:46 AM

I've now gotten the other universal kit, but I decided to put it in my Bowser T-1 instead. I had put a Hobbytown universal in the T-1 earlier, so I switched it to the Hobbytown chassis. The Hobbytown universal has a design that's better for the long swinging of the trucks.

The E6 now runs very well, drawing around 0.15 amps on straights and about 0.25 on curves. The brass gears have a bit of a whine to them. I expect that all of this should improve with some good hours of run time.Big Smile [:D] Once I'm sure it's running like I want, I'll begin the process of painting. It's going to be in the Santa Fe Warbonnet, which will be the most complicated paint scheme I've ever done.

R. T. POTEET, you're right about how smooth these things are. That's why I wanted the Hobbytown chassis for this project.Big Smile [:D]

About the helical drive for N-scale steam, I may have an idea for you. There are some high-precision small motor and gear manufacturers (like Portescap and Maxon) that make gearheads with various ratios to go directly on the motor, although they're a little expensive. If you could put a small gearhead onto the motor, all you would have to figure out beyond that is the helical gears on the axles.Big Smile [:D]

[motor][gh]---[g]
                 (wheel)

SteamFreak, when I turned those gears around, one thing I made absolute sure of was that the gears had plenty of clearance.Big Smile [:D] If I ever do that again, I think I'll wear a breathing mask, because I must have inhaled a tiny bit of zamak dust. It was hours before I got that flavor out of my mouth!Dead [xx(]

I've looked at Timewell flywheels, but never actually bought any. Their 1" flywheel is the same as NWSL's, so I think things would have turned out the same with either one.

• 1,983 posts
Posted by SteamFreak on Friday, April 25, 2008 1:09 PM

Darth Santa Fe wrote:
I think I'll wear a breathing mask, because I must have inhaled a tiny bit of zamak dust. It was hours before I got that flavor out of my mouth!Dead [xx(]

So does it taste like chicken? Smile,Wink, & Grin [swg]

• 13,375 posts
Posted by doctorwayne on Friday, April 25, 2008 5:16 PM
 Darth Santa Fe wrote:

This chassis came with Hobbytown's (not Pittman's) massive DC-90 motor, which is a great motor if you've got a strong power supply, but at 0.4 amps out of the mechanism, I wanted a different motor. I replaced it with a Maxon 9-pole coreless motor, which has over 50% more power than a Mashima or Sagami, runs excellent at low speeds, and draws very little current under no load.Big Smile [:D] The only problem is it's too fast for a passenger-geared E6 past 8.5 volts (the chassis has 10:1 gearing), so I need to find a way to reduce its speed.

I don't know if they're still available, but Heiden offered a transmission to convert older Athearns for  slow speed running.  You might be able to modify it to work with your current set-up.

Nice work, by the way, on your progress so far.

Here's an easy way to add "plugs" for your motor, lights, etc.:

It's just a piece of circuit board, with the copper split down the middle, then rail joiners are soldered to it.  Each of the wires from the trucks, plus those to the motor, are fitted with short lengths of rail.  Makes it easy to remove the trucks for servicing, and would also be handy, if you use working headlights, for separating the body shell from the chassis.

Wayne 

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Monday, April 28, 2008 2:23 PM

Just a small update this time. I discovered that the helical gears MUST be well cleaned and then fully greased before running! I failed to clean and then add grease to two of the axle gears, and when I opened the truck, there was a nice little pile of brass shavings under each gear!Shock [:O] Luckily, I caught it before they ground themselves down much, so hopefully they'll run without destroying themselves now.

doctorwayne, that's pretty genious the way you made plugs from N-gauge track parts. I'll have to remember that for future wiring projects.Big Smile [:D]

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Monday, April 28, 2008 6:52 PM

Darth--

One thing I've found out working with a lot of older brass locomotives:  Brass gears+grease=FOREVER!  I'm sure you caught it in time--we're talking Sherman Tanks, here, LOL!  Considering what I've seen and read about your other locos, I can't wait to see what you do with that Cary superstructure. 

Really admire your work!

Tom Bow [bow]

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Monday, July 6, 2009 6:18 PM

Well, it's been over a year, and I've finally decided to get back to work on this thing.

I'm currently preparing it for a re-coat of primer. My last attempt got slightly destroyed by masking tape that was too sticky. What sort of masking tape will hold on well enough, but not risk damaging the paint again?

Also, what are the proper horns for a Santa Fe E6? One of the stock Cary horns fell on the floor and got run over by a rolling chair, so I need new ones (and I might as well get really good ones, since Cary's are no better than average).

• 1,205 posts
Posted by grizlump9 on Monday, July 6, 2009 8:41 PM

years ago i did an A-B-A alco hobbytown locomotive with the huge motor in the B unit and jack shaft drives to the 2 A's which were weighted with a bunch of type slugs.  that thing would pull the paint off the walls.  talk about smooth, it was unlike anything i had run before.  of course, back then we had mostly athearn diesels which would run 250 scale mph and varney which kind of hopped down the track because of egg shapped wheels.

a hint, try lapping the gears in with tooth paste.  that always worked well for me.

grizlump

• 1,161 posts
Posted by gmcrail on Monday, July 6, 2009 9:16 PM

Darth Santa Fe
What sort of masking tape will hold on well enough, but not risk damaging the paint again?

I use 3M #230 drafting tape.  Low tac, adheres well, flexible.  Comes in 3/4" only, but it can be trimmed by the usual methods...

---

Gary M. Collins gmcrailgNOSPAM@gmail.com

===================================

"Common Sense, Ain't!" -- G. M. Collins

===================================

http://fhn.site90.net

• 675 posts
Posted by Arjay1969 on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:27 AM

Darth Santa Fe
Also, what are the proper horns for a Santa Fe E6? One of the stock Cary horns fell on the floor and got run over by a rolling chair, so I need new ones (and I might as well get really good ones, since Cary's are no better than average).

Here's a link to an article on the SF Historical/Modeling Society's website about horns:  http://atsfrr.net/resources/BrownPaul/Horns/Horns.htm

It looks like they came equipped with Leslie A-200-156/A-125-247 as delivered, but had them replaced with S-3L-R's or S-5T-R's later on.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beastie on the rails! Bow

Robert Beaty

The Laughing Hippie

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The CF-7...a waste of a perfectly good F-unit!

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the

end of your tunnel, Was just a freight train coming

your way.          -Metallica, No Leaf Clover

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Friday, September 18, 2009 4:19 PM

After the complete failure of Modelflex paint twice in a row, I finally decided to try some good paint. Today, I bought 3 colors of Scalecoat II enamel paint (MOW Gray (the primer), Silver, and SF Red). I accidentally ordered the big 2oz. bottles, but at least I know I won't run out for a while!Big Smile The paint seems to be of very high quality, and I really hope it works. Just to test it out, I brushed some gray onto a piece of copper that's been handled quite a lot. After letting it set for a few hours, I stuck a piece of masking tape on, peeled the tape, and the paint stuck to the metal!Big Smile It's still tacky, so I see why it needs to be baked. It's also shiny, so I shouldn't have to give it that extra clear coat for the decals.Big Smile

The score so far:
Scalecoat II: 1
Modelflex: 0

At this time, there are about 10,000,000,000 gnats flying around outside (no joke Shock), so I think I'll wait a while before starting the painting for the 3rd time!

• 3,246 posts
Posted by modelmaker51 on Friday, September 18, 2009 4:32 PM

Modelflex is meant for plastics not metal! To use Modelflex on metal you have to start with an oil based primer. As a custom painter I've used a lot of Modelflex paint over the last 10 years with excellent results. You shouldn't blame the product if it doesn't work when you mis-use it.

Jay 

C-415 Build: https://imageshack.com/a/tShC/1 

Other builds: https://imageshack.com/my/albums 

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Friday, September 18, 2009 4:46 PM

modelmaker51
Modelflex is meant for plastics not metal! To use Modelflex on metal you have to start with an oil based primer. As a custom painter I've used a lot of Modelflex paint over the last 10 years with excellent results. You shouldn't blame the product if it doesn't work when you mis-use it.

I realize that now. I can't blame the product, since I've also had some good results with it, and there's a huge variety of nice colors. But I can blame Badger:

"Superior adhesion to most plastics, resins, metals and various other substrates."

That was taken directly from their website, so how was I supposed to know I was misusing it? Oh well, at least I've got the right stuff now.Big Smile

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Monday, February 15, 2010 10:42 PM

I still haven't gotten to the painting yet, but I know I'll do it eventually! I found out today that my lacquer thinner dissolves Modelflex paint very quickly, so a good soaking and brushing should have the old stuff off in less than 10 minutes.Big Smile And then I'll use scalecoat paints and bake them on. I want to finish my Shays first, so they're my painting priority right now. But I've still at least refined the drive more.

I managed to salvage a coreless motor that I broke the shaft on. It had a large red spacer on the shaft, so I glued it on and used brass tube to extend it. The other coreless motor is pretty fantastic, but it's just too fast for the E6's gearing. The high gearing and large flywheel also gave the old motor a huge starting current (stall current is about 3 amps!). This newer motor has a more appropriate top speed, lower current draw, and higher low speed torque. As you can see, I remounted the flywheel in the more typical Hobbytown fashion, and connected the motor with an extra Tenshodo universal (I didn't want to mount the flywheel on my weaker repaired motor shaft). The motor is mounted with double-sided foam tape, and I added a diode for directional lighting. I also got rid of some gear slop, and straightened out a couple bent axles (bent at the wheel). The E6 runs far better now than it ever has, and I'm much happier with it.Big Smile Once it's painted, I'll make the flywheel mount a little more robust (Big Smile), since it's just Athearn bearings glued to the frame right now.

Don't worry, guys! I'll have it finished someday!!

• 2,522 posts
Posted by dti406 on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:13 AM

By the way Scalecoat II is for plastic and Scalecoat I is for metal!!!

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:34 AM

dti406
By the way Scalecoat II is for plastic and Scalecoat I is for metal!!!

I saw that before I ordered it, but when I asked what paint to use, Scalecoat II was recommended. I've already tested it on some metal, and it worked perfectly well.Big Smile And, it didn't peel when I put tape on it.

• 2,522 posts
Posted by dti406 on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:14 AM

Thats fine, I have both Scalecoat I & II and sort of use them interchangably when I am painting.  But I do like the Scalecoat on metal that can be baked, it certainly makes for a good durable finish.

I also have an E6 with multidrive and the Cary Bodies in a box, I had started putting it together but came to a stop for some reason, probably because I moved and it was not important enough to get out of the box and finish.  I may have to do that so we can have some more heavy metal locomotives to show the the current generation.

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:08 AM

And now, back after 4 years,

The New Adventures of the E6!!

I finally got the guts to paint the thing and finish it! Using the Scalecoat II paint, some very old Microscale decals, some Model Master clear coat, and a LOT of patience, the Cary/Hobbytown ATSF E6A is finished!!!Big Smile

This is without a doubt the most difficult thing I've ever painted! And it's not easy working with old decals either...

The lift rings and handrails are all hand bent from brass wire, the etched windshield wipers are some extras from a Stewart kit, and the horns are Cal Scale Leslie A200s for ATSF diesels. I haven't figured out what to do for glass, but I'm glad to at least have it done! I mean, it's been 6 years since I started this project! It's a great runner with the modified Hobbytown chassis, and I think it turned out looking great too! Now I just need to get some passenger cars to put behind it.Big Smile

• 13,375 posts
Posted by doctorwayne on Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:33 AM

Good lookin' results Thumbs Up and good for you for stickin' with it.  Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Wayne

• 15,695 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:42 AM

Darth:

Your paint job is fantastic! Double for the decals!!

I have some American Model Builders E7A window glazing kits. They are for P2K locomotives. I can tell from your pictures that the specific kits I have won't fit your E6 front windows. The corners on the Cary shell are almost square whereas the P2K kits are obviously quite rounded in the corners. The side windows look to be reasonably close, but that might be wishful thinking. Perhaps with a little filing they could be made to work. The nice thing about the AMB kits is that they are masked both sides.

I wonder if it might be worth contacting them to see if they can suggest something.

The address on my packaging (which is a few years old) is 8229 Brentwood Industrial Drive, St. Louis, MO. I don't have a phone number. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

• 15,695 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:54 AM

Darth:

I'm curious to know what you used to mask the shell. It obviously worked very well.

Thanks.

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

• 2,720 posts
Posted by snjroy on Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:01 AM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
  • 4,361 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:23 AM

hon30critter, I've used AMB products before and know some ways to contact them, so I'll have to see if they have anything. Believe it or not, I used regular blue painter's masking tape from the hardware store.Big Smile

• 3,130 posts
Posted by dstarr on Saturday, July 5, 2014 3:27 PM

Looks really good.  The red came out very well.  How did you mask off for the warbonnet look?

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all