Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Scratch built drive in movie theater ideas needed...

27 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,392 posts
Scratch built drive in movie theater ideas needed...
Posted by Tracklayer on Friday, March 21, 2008 4:19 PM

Hey gang.

As some of you already know, my buddy Steve is bringing his new bride by to meet me in a couple of days and of course I want to make a good impression. Anyways, once I get that behind me, I'm thinking about scratch building an old 1950s drive in movie theater. It's been years since I've been to one of these, but from what I can recall they were made of mostly tin and consisted of a ticket booth, a sign showing what movies were playing, the big screen, the combination projection building and consession stand and speaker poles. I've got about ten extra automobiles I can use for the patrons cars so I'm at least that far ahead on that.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Tracklayer 

• 2,916 posts
Posted by wm3798 on Friday, March 21, 2008 4:22 PM

Depending on your scale, you could get one of those small screen DVD players and disguise it with some trees and scenery... A drive in with real movies!  I'd suggest "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price, or "Attack of the 50 foot Woman"  Classic 50's camp!

Lee 

Route of the Alpha Jets  www.wmrywesternlines.net

• 808 posts
Posted by jamnest on Friday, March 21, 2008 4:33 PM

Take a look at the new video picture frames.  You can download music, photos and videos on them from your PC.

Blair Line has a Drive In Theater Kit in N, HO and O scale.  Their web site has photos of prototype drive in theaters which may help with your project.

Jim, Modeling the Kansas City Southern Lines in HO scale.

• 2,392 posts
Posted by Tracklayer on Friday, March 21, 2008 4:55 PM
 wm3798 wrote:

Depending on your scale, you could get one of those small screen DVD players and disguise it with some trees and scenery... A drive in with real movies!  I'd suggest "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price, or "Attack of the 50 foot Woman"  Classic 50's camp!

Lee 

Hello Lee.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm an N scaler. Oh well. Maybe I could use an Ipod for a screen huh?...

Tracklayer

• 919 posts
Posted by arkansasrailfan on Friday, March 21, 2008 4:58 PM
 Tracklayer wrote:
 wm3798 wrote:

Lee 

Hello Lee.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm an N scaler. Oh well. Maybe I could use an Ipod for a screen huh?...

Tracklayer

Nope, Ipod too expensive, would be too small, and it would be hard to desgise, plus the fact that it would be hard to select movies.(iPod is in my left hand)
-Michael It's baaaacccckkkk!!!!!! www.youtube.com/user/wyomingrailfan
  • 66 posts
Posted by Mike B on Friday, March 21, 2008 5:28 PM

Sounds like a fun project.  My wife and I visited a drive-in theater outside of Jefferson, Wisconsin a few years ago while on vacation - very enjoyable and good memories.  I seem to remember that some of the drive-in's had playground equipment for small children right near the screen but you would want to verify that as my memory sometimes fails me.  This seems to be an interesting website for drive-ins:

www.driveintheater.com/index.htm

Looking at that website I was surprised to learn that drive-in's started in the 1930's.

Mike B.

• 130 posts
Posted by PMeyer on Friday, March 21, 2008 5:45 PM

Don't forget the kids lined along the fence getting a free view. I used to.

Paul

Paul
  • 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Friday, March 21, 2008 6:15 PM

There was a drive-in theater near my home town in the 1950's and into the 60's that had a kiddie-land right in front of the screen which included an electric train ride, manually-pushed (okay, kiddie pushed) merry-go-round, slides, sand boxes, etc.

Finding toys that could represent this in N-scale would really be a challenge.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, March 21, 2008 6:20 PM
Here is one of my ideas for a versitile cool drive in movie theater.  Use an Applie Itouch MP4 player.  Build a little cardboard screen to fit in front of the Itouch screen sideways.  Use a wood dowel for the pole.  The play a movie put behind the cardboard screen and it will look very real and no wires!! When not in use pick up your Itouch and go.  I think it is one of the best plans because you can take your "movie theater' with you as a lot of people do with their MP3 players all the time.
  • 518 posts
Posted by Great Western Rwy fan on Friday, March 21, 2008 7:11 PM
Millford New Hampshire still has a drive in movie theatre,We try to go at least once a year as it is a bit of a drive from Londonderry,That one has a swing set in front of the screen and maybe a merry go round for the kids.When I was a teen in Michigan I once snuck into a drive-in by hiding in the trunk of a car,You could have a couple of teens getting out of the trunk of a car.lol
  • 1,496 posts
Posted by tgindy on Friday, March 21, 2008 7:50 PM

For the long-term...

The terrain of every drive-in I've been to is a very gently down to the movie screen with a bit that is level for the cars and the speaker poles.

Conemaugh Road & Traction circa 1956

• 665 posts
Posted by Kenfolk on Friday, March 21, 2008 8:28 PM

There was a modular n-scale exhibit a couple of years ago that had avery small (b&w) tv playing old cartoons; the tv was set into the background, framed as if it were the projection screen. The effect was very good. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the club or where they were from.

A favorite drive-in in my past sat right next to a railroad right-of-way, so the movie was usually interrupted by the wail of the whistle.

A lot of drive-ins had very tall board fences to prevent onlookers from outside the property. 

• 7,982 posts
Posted by pcarrell on Friday, March 21, 2008 8:36 PM
Two words......The Blob!
Philip
  • 2,392 posts
Posted by Tracklayer on Friday, March 21, 2008 8:39 PM
 Kenfolk wrote:

There was a modular n-scale exhibit a couple of years ago that had avery small (b&w) tv playing old cartoons; the tv was set into the background, framed as if it were the projection screen. The effect was very good. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the club or where they were from.

A favorite drive-in in my past sat right next to a railroad right-of-way, so the movie was usually interrupted by the wail of the whistle.

A lot of drive-ins had very tall board fences to prevent onlookers from outside the property. 

As a matter of fact I was thinking about building it near the tracks... I have a blank area on the layout about 9 X 5 inches that I was planning to squeeze it into if possible.

The old Starlight drive in over in Brenham Texas was built back in the 1950s, and was real popular back in its day, but as indoor theaters took over, they began showing adult movies in order to make up for their losses. The city got so many complaints from people passing by on highway 290 that could see all that was going on that they finally took them to court and shut them down.

Tracklayer

• 779 posts
Posted by Dallas Model Works on Friday, March 21, 2008 9:00 PM

Here is the ultimate challenge:

Use an iPod (or some screen) under the layout and use fiber optics to project the image up into and out of the projection house and onto the drive-in screen.

Circuitron has fiber optics.

I don't know if this would work, but it would be damned cool if it did!

Craig

DMW

• 250 posts
Posted by kenkal on Friday, March 21, 2008 9:57 PM

Don't forget the wires and the electric heaters on the speaker poles, cars with kids making out in front seat & uh, reclining while making out in the rear seat (a lot of cars with really fogged up windows in winter).  Some of our drive-ins here in Illinois had horizontal rows going across a hilly incline and at the same time frequently had sloping parking spots in the rows so that a car in a row behind another row was slightly looking over the car in the other row rather than through it (we often bottomed out the cars going from one row to another) .

Some nights were "car load" nights where everyone in the car got in for say a 2 person charge. Don't forget the friends in the trunk. Usually there were signs in the driveway leading to the ticket booth advertising it.

Ken

Huntley, IL
  • 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Friday, March 21, 2008 10:42 PM
 Kenfolk wrote:

There's a classic O. Winston Link photo of a small rural drive-in, with a screen that would scale to about postage stamp size in N scale.  There was a Korean War flick on the screen (F-86 in flight) and a Class A 2-6-6-4 stomping by right outside that tall board fence.  I'm willing to bet that nobody could hear the jet!

If you're modeling the transition era, a drive-in doesn't have to be huge.

Chuck (modeling Central Japan in September, 1964)

• 921 posts
Posted by Johnnny_reb on Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:20 AM
 pcarrell wrote:
Two words......The Blob!
A CLASSIC!

Johnnny_reb Once a word is spoken it can not be unspoken!

My Train Page   My Photobucket Page   My YouTube Channel

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:50 AM
 Tracklayer wrote:

Hey gang.

As some of you already know, my buddy Steve is bringing his new bride by to meet me in a couple of days and of course I want to make a good impression. Anyways, once I get that behind me, I'm thinking about scratch building an old 1950s drive in movie theater. It's been years since I've been to one of these, but from what I can recall they were made of mostly tin and consisted of a ticket booth, a sign showing what movies were playing, the big screen, the combination projection building and consession stand and speaker poles. I've got about ten extra automobiles I can use for the patrons cars so I'm at least that far ahead on that.

Tracklayer 

Blair Line actually offers an N scale drive-in theater kit. http://www.blairline.com/di/

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.
  • 2,392 posts
Posted by Tracklayer on Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:05 AM
 andrechapelon wrote:
 Tracklayer wrote:

Hey gang.

Tracklayer 

Blair Line actually offers an N scale drive-in theater kit. http://www.blairline.com/di/

Andre

Thank you Andre. Yes, I was aware that the kit was available, but wanted to try and build it from scratch. I did however copy the page you offered - just in case...

Tracklayer

• 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:34 AM
 Tracklayer wrote:

Hey gang.

...I'm thinking about scratch building an old 1950s drive in movie theater. It's been years since I've been to one of these, but from what I can recall they were made of mostly tin and consisted of a ticket booth, a sign showing what movies were playing, the big screen, the combination projection building and consession stand and speaker poles.

Tracklayer - Are you aware of the Miller Engineering operating drive-in theater that was reviewed in May 2002 issue of MR? While I'm certainly not suggesting you consider buying one (they go for $700 !!!), the illustrations accompanying the review do show just how a typical small drive-in theater's grounds and structures are laid out. I suspect that these pictures would be of use to you as a source of ideas for your own project.

CNJ831 

• 1,207 posts
Posted by stebbycentral on Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:53 AM

I've seen at least two operating drive-in theatre setups, both on N-track modules at Midwest train shows.  The first used a small television set, which had been placed behind a vertical backdrop and heavily disguised by scenery.  The other employed a small flat screen device, I believe it was either a notebook computer, or a portable DVD player.  In the former case, of course, you have to have a playback device mounted under the table or somewhere nearby.  In the latter case the biggest issue would be disgusing the player with scenery while still maintaining the critical clearances for cooling vents; etc. 

As for selection of fare, I would think anything with Godzilla in it would be appropriate...

I have figured out what is wrong with my brain!  On the left side nothing works right, and on the right side there is nothing left!

• 519 posts
Posted by Red Horse on Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:10 AM

There are still 2  operating drive Inns both within 90 minutes from my home and both have two screens on opposite ends of a field, don't forget the humps that the cars park on in order to see over the next row of cars, and the field slopes down ward towards the screens, there is a play ground at every drive in I've ever been to, and of course the concession stands, they no longer use speakers on poles as you tune into a AM radio station to listen through your van radio but since your basing yours around the 50's they still used them.

And you can't forget the blankets that the kids use to put out around their parents cars so they could be outside the car sitting on a blanket watching the movie.

There is another working drive in about 65 miles from my home and that one has one thing the others do not, they have a pop corn wagon that roams the lot and if you honk 3 times or put your flashers on they will do car side service....very cool, they carry soda and pop corn and that's it, for everything else you have to go inside the concession stand, and it wouldn't be a drive in with out the public men's/gals rest rooms and the signs pointing the way.

Now if you could only add the mosquitoes you'd be golden.

Hope my memories of the drive Inns have been of some help.

Happy Rails.

Please visit my Photobucket pics page. http://photobucket.com/Jesse_Red_Horse_Layout I am the King of my Layout, I can build or destroy the entire city on a whim or I can create a whole new city from scratch , it is good too be the King.
  • 17,200 posts
Posted by tstage on Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:44 AM

Mark,

FWIW: In view of this thread and the other thread that you started, it seems to me that you're going way over the top just to impress someone whom you haven't even met yet.  Relax, tidy up what you do have, and let the "ballast fall where it may".  What someone thinks of you as a person should have no bearing on (and is far more important than) what they think of your layout.

My My 2 cents [2c]...and I probably crossed the line in doing so...

Tom

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 2,392 posts
Posted by Tracklayer on Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:21 PM
 tstage wrote:

Mark,

FWIW: In view of this thread and the other thread that you started, it seems to me that you're going way over the top just to impress someone whom you haven't even met yet.  Relax, tidy up what you do have, and let the "ballast fall where it may".  What someone thinks of you as a person should have no bearing on (and is far more important than) what they think of your layout.

My My 2 cents [2c]...and I probably crossed the line in doing so...

Tom

Yes Tom, you did cross the line. How dare you... (Wink [;)])

Actually, I think you may have missed what I said about waiting to do this project after I've met Steve's wife. It's been on the back burner for a long time but I don't want to start it and only be half way into it when she comes over - know what I mean.

Thanks anyway for trying to help keep my stress level down. 

Tracklayer 

• 122 posts
Posted by ChevelleSSguy on Friday, May 21, 2010 10:51 AM

You can always get an LCD screen that is designed for automotive headrests and connect it to a DVD player located under the layout. Much easier to blend into the scenery.

• 149 posts
Posted by trainman6446 on Friday, May 21, 2010 4:18 PM

you can now get a projector the size of a deck of cards. turn that into a concession stand. mount the dvd player under the layout. this way you wouldnt have to disguise an lcd screen.  

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all