Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

has anyone used structolite?

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 30 posts
has anyone used structolite?
Posted by Mario1 on Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used this product from CGC called structolite. I got my hands on a few scoups of it . Its fairly lite and you can sculpt with it. The drying time is overnight. Haven't mixed it with any paint . I've checked it  out at a couple  of builders supplies and its about $15 cdn. for a 50 lbs bag.
  • 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:13 PM
A few folks here said they really like it. I want to try it but haven't been able to find it locally.
  • 5,743 posts
Posted by simon1966 on Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:23 PM
IMO it makes an excellent scenery base material.  There is another similar brand called Gypsolite.  I use structolite all the time on my scenery.

Simon Modelling CB&Q and Wabash See my slowly evolving layout on my picturetrail site http://www.picturetrail.com/simontrains and our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCrispybake?feature=mhum

• 1,464 posts
Posted by larak on Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:30 PM

loathar wrote:
A few folks here said they really like it.

I guess one of them would be me. It's great stuff. Good open time, reasonably light, works easily,  has a brownish gray color (not stark white), can be tinted, easy to sculpt, nice grit that can be smoothed out with a putty knife, easy to paint/stain, etc.

Yeah, I am one of the fans. I use it for everything from rolling hills to cliffs.

Give it a try Mario. I think you'll be happy. Oh, and Sign - Welcome [#welcome] to the forums.

Karl 

The mind is like a parachute. It works better when it's open.  www.stremy.net

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:14 PM

Dave Frary talks about and uses this in his 2 part video seriers on scenery.  I used after seeing on my last layout about 10 years ago.   I have a tub of it for the new layout already.  Really cones out nice and almost foolproof

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 30 posts
Posted by Mario1 on Friday, November 9, 2007 11:42 AM
 larak wrote:

loathar wrote:
A few folks here said they really like it.

I guess one of them would be me. It's great stuff. Good open time, reasonably light, works easily,  has a brownish gray color (not stark white), can be tinted, easy to sculpt, nice grit that can be smoothed out with a putty knife, easy to paint/stain, etc.

Yeah, I am one of the fans. I use it for everything from rolling hills to cliffs.

Give it a try Mario. I think you'll be happy. Oh, and Sign - Welcome [#welcome] to the forums.

Karl 

Sold Karl. Think I will...Thanks

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all