Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Gn15

3565 views
17 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    March, 2007
  • From: Greencastle, PA
  • 462 posts
Gn15
Posted by OzarkBelt on Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:04 AM
Does anybody else model this or interested in this? Anybody never heard of it before? its 1:24 trains, people, etc on a scale 15" gauge (HO Gauge) track. Great for small spaces. I'm building a Gn15 layout in 1.7 square feet. It's operational!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot Visit my blog! http://becomingawarriorpoet.blogspot.com

  • Member since
    January, 2003
  • From: CA
  • 337 posts
Posted by DavidGSmith on Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:52 AM

One of the large scale kit manufacturers has a Gn15 operating display layout he takes to shows and flea markets. I wont mention his name because this thread may get locked as advertising..He is a Canadian manufacturer and exhibits in the Toronto area. The layout is really unusual and interesting.

Dave

  • Member since
    July, 2003
  • From: Sierra Vista, Arizona
  • 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:19 AM
Gn15 is frequently mentioned in Garden Railways magazine, a sister publication of Model Railroader, so you'll find information about it on their forum.
  • Member since
    March, 2007
  • From: Greencastle, PA
  • 462 posts
Posted by OzarkBelt on Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:25 AM
true, but i really don't envision this outdoors as much. If you think about it, those of us who have a hard time modeling in smaller scales could work with G sized trains on a decent HO (9x11) layout.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot Visit my blog! http://becomingawarriorpoet.blogspot.com

  • Member since
    February, 2005
  • From: Southwest US
  • 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:59 AM

If anyone wants to model serious railroading in Gn15, they should look long and hard at the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch.  Big steam (of American pattern,) moderately heavy traffic and even a dedicated school train.  Not much freight (since my pickup can carry about as much as a 15 inch gauge goods wagon) but still interesting.

Chuck (modeling Central Japan in September, 1964)

  • Member since
    February, 2003
  • From: Georgia, USA
  • 580 posts
Posted by rayw46 on Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:06 AM

Try this site:

www.gn15.info/

Ray

Shoot for the stars; so you miss, you are only lost in space.
  • Member since
    January, 2001
  • From: Nevada
  • 825 posts
Posted by NevinW on Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:21 AM
The Shortline and Narrow Gauge Gazette has featured a number of Gn15 scale railroads in the past.  It is a really neat "large scale, small layout" idea.  -  Nevin
  • Member since
    December, 2001
  • From: Smoggy L.A.
  • 10,699 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:24 AM
Ozark Miniatures recently began offering a Gn15 line of products using Herb Deeks old product line, these are pretty cool little models.

   Have fun with your trains

  • Member since
    October, 2003
  • From: San Francisco Bay Area
  • 1,090 posts
Posted by on30francisco on Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:54 AM

 OzarkBelt wrote:
Does anybody else model this or interested in this? Anybody never heard of it before? its 1:24 trains, people, etc on a scale 15" gauge (HO Gauge) track. Great for small spaces. I'm building a Gn15 layout in 1.7 square feet. It's operational!

Yes indeed. I am currently modeling Gn15 in addition to the 45mm gauge Large Scale. I'm using all the surplus On30 trucks I have to scratchbuild rolling stock and have converted Bachmann's On30 Porter to G scale. This scale combines the best of both worlds in that it has all the advantages of the ease of working with and detailing of a large scale while using the space of an HO layout. NGSL has a few articles and layouts featured in this scale/gauge combination. The scale could range from 1:20.3 to 1:24 - we're not pickey.  

  • Member since
    March, 2007
  • From: Greencastle, PA
  • 462 posts
Posted by OzarkBelt on Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:21 PM
Yay! Now's there's two of us.Big Smile [:D] Anyone else?Whistling [:-^]

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot Visit my blog! http://becomingawarriorpoet.blogspot.com

  • Member since
    September, 2003
  • From: California - moved to North Carolina 2018
  • 4,230 posts
Posted by DSchmitt on Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:53 PM

 

This site has some very small Gn15 layouts

http://carendt.com/

I tried to sell my two cents worth, but no one would give me a plug nickel for it.

I don't have a leg to stand on.

  • Member since
    July, 2006
  • From: NE Illinois
  • 39 posts
Posted by HeavyDuty on Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:48 PM
I dabble in Gn15 - I have a Firefly, a converted Davenport and a few wagons.  Still not sure what I'm doing with it all!
* * * Ken in Aurora, IL
  • Member since
    March, 2007
  • From: Greencastle, PA
  • 462 posts
Posted by OzarkBelt on Monday, January 14, 2008 8:19 AM

 HeavyDuty wrote:
I dabble in Gn15 - I have a Firefly, a converted Davenport and a few wagons.  Still not sure what I'm doing with it all!

May I suggest Carl Adent's "Squarefoot estate railway". I myself am building a slightly larger (1.7 square feet) version of it.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot Visit my blog! http://becomingawarriorpoet.blogspot.com

  • Member since
    August, 2004
  • 2,844 posts
Posted by dinwitty on Monday, January 14, 2008 9:32 AM

 OzarkBelt wrote:
Does anybody else model this or interested in this? Anybody never heard of it before? its 1:24 trains, people, etc on a scale 15" gauge (HO Gauge) track. Great for small spaces. I'm building a Gn15 layout in 1.7 square feet. It's operational!

 

There must be something about HO that makes it so popular....

  • Member since
    February, 2002
  • From: Mpls/St.Paul
  • 11,133 posts
Posted by wjstix on Monday, January 14, 2008 11:08 AM

 OzarkBelt wrote:
true, but i really don't envision this outdoors as much. If you think about it, those of us who have a hard time modeling in smaller scales could work with G sized trains on a decent HO (9x11) layout.

Not everything in "Garden Railways" is about outdoor railroading, most garden railways are done in G so the mag includes articles and product reviews on G products and such.

Stix
  • Member since
    October, 2003
  • From: San Francisco Bay Area
  • 1,090 posts
Posted by on30francisco on Monday, January 14, 2008 12:33 PM
 dinwitty wrote:

 OzarkBelt wrote:
Does anybody else model this or interested in this? Anybody never heard of it before? its 1:24 trains, people, etc on a scale 15" gauge (HO Gauge) track. Great for small spaces. I'm building a Gn15 layout in 1.7 square feet. It's operational!

 

There must be something about HO that makes it so popular....

Many HO items are very useful in modeling other scales and gauges. Because HO is the most popular scale, the items are low cost, plentiful, and very high quality. Look at On30 vs On3. Since On30 uses HO track and wheel geometry, it is MUCH cheaper and more popular than On3. Although S scale track would  be more appropiate for an industrial gauge railroad (approximately 18 inch gauge @ 1:22.5), S scale supplies aren't as common and much more costly than HO. Another bonus for those of us who like more than one scale is that we can run HO, On30, and Gn15 equipment on the same layout - might not be to scale and definately not prototypical, but fun - or build one or more sections of the layout to different scales to match our equipment (separated from each other, a around the room layout is ideal for this).

  • Member since
    October, 2003
  • From: San Francisco Bay Area
  • 1,090 posts
Posted by on30francisco on Monday, January 14, 2008 12:39 PM
 wjstix wrote:

 OzarkBelt wrote:
true, but i really don't envision this outdoors as much. If you think about it, those of us who have a hard time modeling in smaller scales could work with G sized trains on a decent HO (9x11) layout.

Not everything in "Garden Railways" is about outdoor railroading, most garden railways are done in G so the mag includes articles and product reviews on G products and such.

There are a lot of us who model G scale indoors. We build our layouts on baseboards with scenery, structures, and other components - just like they're built in the smaller scales. 

  • Member since
    March, 2007
  • From: Greencastle, PA
  • 462 posts
Posted by OzarkBelt on Monday, January 14, 2008 1:18 PM
 on30francisco wrote:
 wjstix wrote:

 OzarkBelt wrote:
true, but i really don't envision this outdoors as much. If you think about it, those of us who have a hard time modeling in smaller scales could work with G sized trains on a decent HO (9x11) layout.

Not everything in "Garden Railways" is about outdoor railroading, most garden railways are done in G so the mag includes articles and product reviews on G products and such.

There are a lot of us who model G scale indoors. We build our layouts on baseboards with scenery, structures, and other components - just like they're built in the smaller scales. 

Thanks for clearing that up. still like the idea of it indoors thoughWhistling [:-^]

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot Visit my blog! http://becomingawarriorpoet.blogspot.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all
Sign up for our FREE e-newsletter and get model railroad news in your inbox!