Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Operating Crossing Signals N scale

6343 views
15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Operating Crossing Signals N scale
Posted by gatrhumpy on Monday, July 14, 2008 7:46 AM

I was hoping that some manufacturer would be offering an operating N scale crossing signal with operating gates. Besides the ones from Bachman and Model Power, does anyone know of anyone that offers the signals with operating gates?

 

Could the Bachman and Model Power ones be modified to work on a regular track that already has been installed?

  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Monday, July 14, 2008 9:09 AM

I want something that is fairly realistic.

Operating lights, if possible.

DC, sound isn't important.

The gates should operate realistically. Keep in mind I can't use the slow motion switch machines for these as the track is already down, ballasted, and glued onto pink extruded foam.

Thoughts?

  • Member since
    January 2007
  • From: NYC
  • 551 posts
Posted by corsair7 on Monday, July 14, 2008 9:17 AM
 gatrhumpy wrote:

I want something that is fairly realistic.

Operating lights, if possible.

DC, sound isn't important.

The gates should operate realistically. Keep in mind I can't use the slow motion switch machines for these as the track is already down, ballasted, and glued onto pink extruded foam.

Thoughts?

You'd probably need some form of sensor to activate it and deactivate it. Such sensors can be be installed in your existing layout without tearing anything up.

Irv

  • Member since
    January 2005
  • From: SE Pennsylvania
  • 12 posts
Posted by wawa on Monday, July 14, 2008 10:45 AM

Try the Servomaster from TDP and Associates and NJI signals for realistic operation.  Gates work off of servo motors that can be mounted below the surface using velcro. 

www.trainspeed.com

  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Monday, July 14, 2008 11:31 AM
 davidmbedard wrote:
 gatrhumpy wrote:

I want something that is fairly realistic.

Operating lights, if possible.

DC, sound isn't important.

The gates should operate realistically. Keep in mind I can't use the slow motion switch machines for these as the track is already down, ballasted, and glued onto pink extruded foam.

Thoughts?

Why cant you use slow motion machines?  Is it because you dont have access to the underside of your layout or you just dont like them?

The slow motion machines are critical to have realistic operating crossing gates....no way around it.  They are hooked up to the gates via an activating rod and your crossing circuits utilizes them.

David B 

It's because I travel with my layout, it's only 2.5' X 4', and the underside is flat. So no slow-motion machines.

  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Monday, July 14, 2008 1:23 PM

There are NO operating crossing gates and signals in N scale that don't use a slow-motion switch machine?

 

What about modifying the circuitry on the Bachman and Model Power ones to adapt to track that is already in place?

  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Monday, July 14, 2008 2:17 PM
Could I tinker with the Kato crossing gate system to get it to work with regular track? In other words, could I buy an operating Kato crossing gate, figure out what makes it work, and then put just the gates and signals into my existing track?
  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:07 AM
I could not find the operating gate and signal on the Kato USA website. Where can I find that?
  • Member since
    July 2008
  • From: missouri
  • 430 posts
Posted by Been Nothing Since Frisco (BNSF) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:33 AM
lifelike makes operating crossing gates and lantern men for n scale they have both thoughs avalible for snaplock and standerd track.
  • Member since
    June 2007
  • 58 posts
Posted by gcri on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:43 AM

The KATO part number is 20-650, unfortunatley it seems a bit hard to find:

 http://aboutmodelrailroads.com/KAt/KAT-UnitrackCrossingGate.html

 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-20650.htm

I would also check ebay from time to time as well.

  • Member since
    March 2008
  • From: Jacksonville, FL
  • 913 posts
Posted by gatrhumpy on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:42 AM
 gcri wrote:

The KATO part number is 20-650, unfortunatley it seems a bit hard to find:

 http://aboutmodelrailroads.com/KAt/KAT-UnitrackCrossingGate.html

 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-20650.htm

I would also check ebay from time to time as well.

 

Thanks. Whoa! Quite expensive. Anyone know how this works?

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all
Sign up for our FREE e-newsletter and get model railroad news in your inbox!