Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

walthers 90' turntable kit(old)

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 16 posts
walthers 90' turntable kit(old)
Posted by jimbob7 on Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:26 PM

Does anybody know if the old kit 90' walthers works alright manualy?I can't get any replys.

jimbob7

• 1,250 posts
Posted by oldline1 on Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:45 PM

The old Walthers 90' kit turntable isn't the best way to go as it had a lot of problems. There are several different posts on the MR site you can look up and see more details about the problems people have been experiencing.

The best bet for a turntable these days is the Walthers 90' or 130' assembled tables. They aren't cheap at $299.95 each but you definitely get a great turntable for the money. First, and most important..........IT WORKS!!! It is completeley reliable, smooth and fine looking. Second, it has a built in indexing system.

A turntable that doesn't work well is a terrible experience so paying a little more for one of this quality is money well spent. I picked up two on ebay from Scale Structures for a little over $200 each.

Spend the money or forever be disappointed!

Roger

• 366 posts
Posted by NYCentral1 on Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:55 PM
Actually, you can get the new 90' Walters for about $200-215 brand new and shipped off of ebay... I haven't bought one yet, but I plan to.
  • 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Friday, December 1, 2006 8:01 AM

We had one on our HO scale club layout that was eventually removed because it was so horrible.  The bottom pan was warped when we received it and the turntable itself was extremely wobbly and unstable.  We first tried using it as a powered turntable but gave up in frustration at the amount of noise it made.

We relocated it into an area where it could be turned by hand like you are wanting to do, but even then it was problematic because the bridge was so unstable that nothing could get onto or off of it without derailing.  It was eventually thrown away.

• 23,325 posts
Posted by selector on Friday, December 1, 2006 11:45 AM
 cacole wrote:

We had one on our HO scale club layout that was eventually removed because it was so horrible.  The bottom pan was warped when we received it and the turntable itself was extremely wobbly and unstable.  We first tried using it as a powered turntable but gave up in frustration at the amount of noise it made.

We relocated it into an area where it could be turned by hand like you are wanting to do, but even then it was problematic because the bridge was so unstable that nothing could get onto or off of it without derailing.  It was eventually thrown away.

With a lot of perseverance, I managed to get my motorized kit working.  I feel good, to this day, about this one of so few successful outcomes in my very short modelling history.  I also found the bridge to be unusable due to its wobbling, so I eventually shimmed it below the pit by placing styrene 1/16" thick on either side of the axle between the large washer and the plastic pit's base.  That drew the bridge tighter to its upper rest and reduced the wobbling considerably.  Now, my only concern is getting the bridge to actually rotate through 180 deg, which it cannot do without some starting and binding...somewhere.

My recommendation is, if you have lots of time and patience, and don't mind several hours of fiddling with the much cheaper kit, do it.  If you are impatient and would like to run a TT sooner, then you will be better served with the built-up model.

• 13,807 posts
Posted by wjstix on Friday, December 1, 2006 12:37 PM
JB, when you say "manually" turn it, do you mean reach in and handling the turntable to move it, or some type of crank system??
Stix

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all