Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

E-Z Track Layout Help

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
E-Z Track Layout Help
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 28, 2008 12:51 PM

Background: I have the bachmann diesel digital commander starter set and I am starting to have an idea of what i would like to see in my layout. I want to be able to run two trains. One with a small freight load and another with a small 3 car passenger load (i.e. mail car, sleeper car, standard passenger). I want the feeling to be of the burnt orange of west with some slight "summer" grass and some decent strata rock formations.

After looking at what I could find online, I like the look of this layout:

source: http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/bach_track.php

I currently have a 4x8 table top built with a foam board top. The only thing I would change for the layout is to extend the width with some extra 9" straights.

I want to use the new DCC turnouts, ex: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA0&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA1&P=SM
Only downside is $30 a pop and my budget isn't the highest.   ;)

I do have one passenger station that i am currently building, hopefully i can make it look this good:

source: http://www.atsfrr.com/Reviews/HO/Struct/WaltPortales/Index.htm

Things I need help with:
1) Coming up with a run "schedule" for this layout
2) Industries to service with this layout
3) What years do these two diesel engines represent?
4) General recommendations  ;D

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 28, 2008 1:45 PM

Hi Zanthian. I can't answer any of your questions since I am also bran new to this, but I can at least say hi.

I also got the digital commander set to start off with. As well as a World's Greatest Hobby expander and some various lots of track I have now come across. 

The one trick I have figured out so far with the EZ track is that if you want to do a siding with the #6 switches you need a 2" piece to make it line up right. That piece is only sold in the 90 degree crossing set that I know of. Since I don't see any sidings in your design you at least will not have to worry about that. EZ track seems to have some limits in how creative you can get. Since I have a bunch of it, looks like I am probably going to be figuring most of those limits out.

You also have a vision which is more than I got yet. Wish you the best of luck.

• 13,804 posts
Posted by wjstix on Monday, January 28, 2008 4:57 PM
One thing to consider is EZ Track no.6 turnouts are very long, I suspect the turnouts in your trackplan are no.4's (which would be most commonly used with 18"-22" radius curves).
Stix
  • 2,134 posts
Posted by CSX Robert on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:02 AM
 zanthian wrote:

Background: I have the bachmann diesel digital commander starter set...

I want to use the new DCC turnouts, ex: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA0&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA1&P=SM
Only downside is $30 a pop and my budget isn't the highest. ;)

One thing you need to be aware of is that if the decoders in those turnouts use accessory addresses, which most turnout decoders do, then you will not be able to control them with the EZ-Command that came with the digital commander starter set.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:31 AM

CSX Robert wrote:

One thing you need to be aware of is that if the decoders in those turnouts use accessory addresses, which most turnout decoders do, then you will not be able to control them with the EZ-Command that came with the digital commander starter set.

I actually bought two yesterday, just to test them out. They do work with the E-Z Command system. By default they are assigned to address 9 on the controller then you select the "function" button on the E-Z Command system and you can control upto 8 groups of switches. I took the two I bought and turned them into a cross over and you can program the default positions so they line up when you switch them in a group. These switches are awesome, no extra wires and no extra controllers.

• 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:39 PM
 zanthian wrote:

CSX Robert wrote:

I actually bought two yesterday, just to test them out. They do work with the E-Z Command system. By default they are assigned to address 9 on the controller then you select the "function" button on the E-Z Command system and you can control upto 8 groups of switches. I took the two I bought and turned them into a cross over and you can program the default positions so they line up when you switch them in a group. These switches are awesome, no extra wires and no extra controllers.

If I'm figuring this right, even doing it like you say will use up 7 of your 9 DCC addresses. (right??)

• 2,134 posts
Posted by CSX Robert on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:15 PM
 zanthian wrote:

CSX Robert wrote:

Cool, I'm glad they work for you. I had looked on Bachmann's website for any information on how they operated and could not find any.

loathar wrote:

If I'm figuring this right, even doing it like you say will use up 7 of your 9 DCC addresses. (right??)

I think what he is saying is that you can control up to 8 groups from one engine address.
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:06 PM
Yep, It will use up only one address to assign upto 8 groups. The switches that are involved in cross overs can be paired together because they will always switch at the same time.
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, February 4, 2008 2:09 PM
Any other input anyone? I am still looking for some ideas on industries and help with developing a schedule for the layout.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all