Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Model Railroad Photography Clinic - Part 2 (WITH PHOTOS)

19 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
Model Railroad Photography Clinic - Part 2 (WITH PHOTOS)
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 7, 2005 7:45 AM
Part two of my clinic, to help you make better photographs instead of "snapshots".

Bob Boudreau

===================================================

ADVANCED – Composing Photos

If you’ve mastered your camera and its controls and are able to get results that are technically acceptable, the next step is to make better photographs. You can take pictures, but you have to make photographs. Many consider fine photographs as art – work that is created by the photographer, as opposed to a “snapshot” that almost anyone could take. Some people have an artistic ability, others can learn it.

There are widely accepted “rules” in photography that aren’t really rules – just conventions in composition that can help to make a photo pleasing to the eye. All photos do not have to be taken according to these rules, but they are a good way to learn to see and create a photograph.

(The following is adapted from the Kodak.com website – they can explain their business better than I can):

1. CHOOSING YOUR MAIN POINT OF INTEREST. Although you know what your subject is, it can be hard for a viewer to determine your intent if too many elements in your picture make it confusing. Eliminate all unimportant elements by moving closer, zooming in, or choosing a different shooting angle.

What is the subject in this photo? There are so many things it isn't obvious:

The same area, concentrating on the train itself:

2. ADJUST YOUR ANGLE OF VIEW. Alter your position - Change your position to emphasize or exaggerate how big or small your subject is. You can also move your camera right or left only a few feet to change the composition dramatically.

3. PLACING THE SUBJECT OFF-CENTER. Putting the subject off-center often makes the composition more dynamic and interesting. Even if your subject fills the frame, the most important part of the subject should not be dead center.

4. FOLLOW THE RULE OF THIRDS. An easy way to compose off-center pictures is to imagine a tick-tack-toe board over your viewfinder. Avoid placing your subject in that center square, and you have followed the rule of thirds. Try to place your subject along one of the imaginary lines that divides your frame.

Subject (the caboose) is placed in one of the areas:

5. WATCH THE HORIZON. Just as an off-center subject is usually best, so is an off-center—and straight—horizon line. Avoid cutting your picture in half by placing the horizon in the middle of the picture. To accent spaciousness, keep the horizon low in the picture. To suggest closeness, position the horizon high in your picture.

6. USING LEADING LINES - Select a camera angle where the natural lines of the scene lead the viewers' eyes into the picture and toward your main center of interest. You can find such a line in a road, a fence, even a shadow. Diagonal lines are dynamic; curved lines are flowing and graceful. You can often find the right line by moving around and choosing an appropriate angle.

See the tracks leading to the train:

7. INCLUDING OBJECTS IN THE FOREGROUND - When taking pictures of landscapes, include an object, such as a tree or boulder, in the foreground. Elements in the foreground add a sense of depth to the picture. A person in the foreground helps establish a sense of scale.

8. FRAMING THE SUBJECT. - Sometimes you can use the foreground elements to "frame" your subject. Overhanging tree branches, a doorway, or an arch can give a picture the depth it needs to make it more than just another snapshot.

This shot both includes subjects in the foreground and frames the photo:

9. SHOOTING VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL - Don't forget that you can turn your camera sideways to take a vertical picture. Try taking both horizontal and vertical pictures of the same subject to see the different effects. A subject that your might usually think of as horizontal can make a stunning vertical picture.

10. KEEP PEOPLE BUSY. The model figures in your scenes should be doing something.

11. FIND UNUSUAL VIEWPOINTS. All photos do not have to be taken from trackside, or from a “helicopter position”; shoot under trees, from tops of buildings or rolling stock, etc.

Here's one taken from a boat in the stream:

12. One of the MOST IMPORTANT TIPS is to practice, practice, and practice some more! Nothing beats a lot of experience, finding out what works and what does not. Golfing legend Arnold Palmer replied to someone who said he sure was lucky in golf by saying “Yes, the more I practice the more lucky I become”.

More to come later! [:D]
  • 1,428 posts
Posted by Train 284 on Thursday, July 7, 2005 9:01 AM
Good job, this will definitly help!
Matt Cool Espee Forever! Modeling the Modoc Northern Railroad in HO scale Brakeman/Conductor/Fireman on the Yreka Western Railroad Member of Rouge Valley Model RR Club
  • 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Thursday, July 7, 2005 11:06 AM
As usual, Bob--thanks so much! I really feel with experimenting that I'm starting to get the hang of all of this. One nice thing about digital cameras--for me at least-- is that you're not wasting 'film' in order to get the one shot you think is worthy of preserving. it's a complex process, and I'm still in the 'shoot and pray' stage, but your articles have helped me immensely. Again, thanks.
Tom [bow][bow]

• 3,119 posts
Posted by jfugate on Thursday, July 7, 2005 12:01 PM
Bob:

Another great clinic post!

Say, you should have several example photos in your collection ... how about posting a few one at a time and describing some of these points you used in each one. Teaching by example is always helpful ... I'm a visual learner, so I get the most from a "show-and-tell" teaching style.

Joe Fugate Modeling the 1980s SP Siskiyou Line in southern Oregon

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 7, 2005 2:14 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by jfugate
[Say, you should have several example photos in your collection ... how about posting a few one at a time and describing some of these points you used in each one. Teaching by example is always helpful ... I'm a visual learner, so I get the most from a "show-and-tell" teaching style.

That was my intent all along, just had to get organized and post some photos, now done!

Bob Boudreau
  • 3,119 posts
Posted by jfugate on Thursday, July 7, 2005 4:24 PM
Bob:

Wonderful examples! Thanks!

• 3,370 posts
Posted by Noah Hofrichter on Friday, July 8, 2005 10:34 AM
Bob, once again, thanks! Now to get my hands on a camera with a good F setting........]

Noah
  • 194 posts
Posted by maandg on Monday, July 11, 2005 9:01 AM
Great clinic and great tips! I recently took the plunge and forked up the money for a professional-grade Canon EOS 20D SLR Digital camera (whew, what a mouthful!). The lens I purchased (Canon Ultrasonic EFS 17-85mm) will stop down to f32 and gives great depth of field. I also use a tripod and shutter release cable. I used this camera for all the photos on my layout website. I would be interested in your feedback on my photography if you have the time to take a look - I have over 60 photos posted! Thanks again for the great tips!!!

Cliff Powers

www.magnoliaroute.com

• 3,119 posts
Posted by jfugate on Monday, July 11, 2005 10:21 AM
Cliff:

The 20D is an excellent camera (I had a 10D, it was *sweet* [:D]). Now I know one reason why the photos on your web site look so nice!

Some outstanding modeling and excellent photography there, Cliff!

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Monday, July 11, 2005 10:34 AM
Bob, I recently used a tripod, as much light as I could plug in to the walls, and stopped down the aperture to get the effect you describe. I think those pix were much better than others I had done. So, thanks for your efforts there.

Prices of digital SLRs are still pretty steep, but there are bargains out there. Maybe e-bay?
  • 40 posts
Posted by Doug Goulbourn on Monday, July 11, 2005 11:04 AM
Bob,
Excellent clinic! I've enjoyed your work in the MRR press for years and each article has always had something in it I could use and this is no exception. As I've said in previous posts, this is what model railroading is all about - sharing of ideas and techniques. Keep 'em coming. Thanks for sharing.

Doug
  • 3,722 posts
Posted by AggroJones on Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:47 PM

Yes, yes.

"Being misunderstood is the fate of all true geniuses"

EXPERIMENTATION TO BRING INNOVATION

http://community.webshots.com/album/288541251nntnEK?start=588

• 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:19 PM

Bob........... I'm truly thankful for your photo clinic.  I'd be interested in more information regarding depth of field.  I have a good quality digital camera but am not much with photo skills.

Thanks.

GARRY

HEARTLAND DIVISION, CB&Q RR

EVERYWHERE LOST; WE HUSTLE OUR CABOOSE FOR YOU

• 1,760 posts
Posted by Railphotog on Friday, May 11, 2007 5:03 AM

Bob........... I'm truly thankful for your photo clinic.  I'd be interested in more information regarding depth of field.  I have a good quality digital camera but am not much with photo skills.

Thanks.

You're welcome!  Note this thread was started back in 2002.  Since then I've placed the material and more on a separate website that you can visit whenever you want.  It's in my signature below.

Bob Boudreau

CANADA

Visit my model railroad photography website: http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

• 9,641 posts
Posted by AntonioFP45 on Friday, May 11, 2007 6:42 AM

Thanks.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Bob Bordeau (Fundy Northern) left our forum and participates on another.  I certainly miss Bob's talent and hope he returns here. 

"I like my Pullman Standards & Budds in Stainless Steel flavors, thank you!"

• 1,760 posts
Posted by Railphotog on Friday, May 11, 2007 6:51 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Bob Bordeau (Fundy Northern) left our forum and participates on another.  I certainly miss Bob's talent and hope he returns here. 

Hey!  It's BOUDREAU!  I never left, just changed my screen name from FundyNothern to Railphotog.  I've posted semi regularly on this and several other forums.

Bob Boudreau

CANADA

Visit my model railroad photography website: http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Friday, May 11, 2007 7:28 AM

Thanks Bob for the helpful clinic Some day when my money gets green i'll invest in a better camera For now my RR gets all my extra funds but atleast with your tips i might start taking better snapshots.

Thanks !

Is there a good small camera that will fit in tight places for some up close shots ?

Now that my RR has lots of buildings and trees most snapshots are done from

the center of the room. 

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

http://conewriversubdivision.yolasite.com/

• 11,439 posts
Posted by dknelson on Friday, May 11, 2007 7:50 AM

A splendid clinic.  I like this shot in particular:

Dave Nelson

• 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Friday, May 11, 2007 11:57 AM

Bob,

I hope you don't mind me adding a couple things...

This one ignores most rules of composition, subject is centered, the horizon runs through the center, etc:

Here's the same shot with the camera moved down, to the left and tilted up, like you are standing near the creek:

Framing.  Here's an obvious example of framing.  In this case, the "hard" frame of the building lends itself to placing the locomotive nose in center frame:

Different perspective.  This is easier with a small point and shoot.  For these, I placed the camera in the scene.   Both these also exhibit less obvious framing techniques:

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 84 posts
Posted by Gazoo on Friday, May 11, 2007 1:33 PM
Wow--good stuff. Thanks

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all