Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Question about Indiana Harbor Belt Class U4a

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 36 posts
Question about Indiana Harbor Belt Class U4a
Posted by TakeFive on Friday, February 16, 2007 3:32 PM
I've recently acquired the AHM 0-8-0 IHB three cylinder shifter and cannot find in my somewhat limited reference material any data on the prototype. I would like to know the overall length (coupler to coupler) with tender attached, total weight and tractive effort. I found one reference to the tractive effort at 74,400 pounds, but I would like to confirm that from another source. Thanks in advance for any help.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.
  • 17,199 posts
Posted by tstage on Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:40 AM

Dick,

First off, Sign - Welcome [#welcome] to the forum! Good to have you aboard! Smile [:)]

I just bought a copy of Steam Power of the New York Central System - Vol. 1 so this is where I'm getting the info from.  Here's what it has for the class U-4a:

• Built by: American Locomotive Company, February 1927
  • Tractive force: 75,700 lbs.
  • Booster: 13,800 lbs.
  • Cylinders (outside): 23-1/2 x 32"
  • Cylinders (inside): 23-1/2 x 28"
  • Driver diameter: 57"
  • Total Engine Weight: 294,000 lbs.
  • Grate Area: 72.5 sq. ft.
  • Steam Pressure: 200 lbs.

Ironically, Dick, the class U-4a pictured and described in the book mentioned above is actually Indiana Harbor Belt RR 0-8-0 #102.  They don't mention overall length for some reason but someone should be able to get you that information.

Hope that's a help...

Tom

P.S. I just received my Proto 2000 NYC U-3 0-8-0 in the mail yesterday.  Boy!  Is it a nice locomotive locomotive!  They regularly run $250.00 MSRP.  I was able to pick one up for $90.00.  With a Digitrax DH163L0 decoder in her, she really crawls. Smile [:)]Thumbs Up [tup]

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 36 posts
Posted by TakeFive on Saturday, February 17, 2007 2:07 AM
Tom,

Thanks much for the information. The model I have is 102, as you probably already know. Great to have some input. Thanks again and congratulations on your U3, isn't ebay great?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.
  • 4 posts
Posted by ckpcpqq on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:04 PM

Here's some information on the U4-A.  It differs slightly from the figures quoted earlier.

http://dhke.com/ihbarchive/ihbsteam.html

A nice photo of a U4 can be found on p.66 of "Indiana Harbor Belt in Color" by Sam Beck and me.  It was published by Morning Sun Books.

Bill Gustason

• 1,522 posts
Posted by AltonFan on Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:23 PM
MR published drawings of this locomotive, and there were several articles about detailing it. Try the MR indexes.

Dan

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all