Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

BL2, a engine only it's mother could love? What can you tell me about it.

36 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 9,577 posts
BL2, a engine only it's mother could love? What can you tell me about it.
Posted by cudaken on Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:47 AM

What can you tell me about a BL2 engine, when was it made, guessing the late 50's. I bought one NIB off  E-stupid at a pretty low prices. Not sure to say it is ugly or just driffrent looking. If it was PINK and had Tail Fins Evles would have owned one.Smile [:)]

Main goal was to gut the good stuff and kit bash a old BB but I will give it a chances. Heck the motor, flywheels are worth what I paid for it.

Real one that looks sort of cool?

Rear in under coat.

And the one I bought.

Cuda Ken buying Ugly again

I hate Rust

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:55 AM
 cudaken wrote:
What can you tell me about a BL2 engine,
Lets see.  EMD BL2 locomotive 1500 hp produced from 1948-1949.  Had the same guts as an F3, a normal 567B prime mover. Approximately 60 of them made total.  There were two models one freight only and one passenger (which I did not know!).  The original design was supposed to give the engineer better visability for switching trains than an F unit did.

Source "The second diesel spotters guide" by Pinkepank.

I thought the Proto-2000s came with an information card about the prototype locomotive?

They obviously weren't real successful. In my opinion the second ugliest diesel ever made, second only to the Baldwin babyface.

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Saturday, September 16, 2006 7:54 AM

Manufacturer      Locomotive Type             Model         Start Date End Date No. Built
-----EMD --------- Branchline ------------- BL2 -------- Apr.48 ---May.49 --- 58

Incidentally, there was one BL1 ever built (February 1948)

Source - Diesel chronology

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 1,634 posts
Posted by pbjwilson on Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:04 AM

Always liked the look of the BL2. Yours is especially nice in Monon colors. I think they have alot of character. Kindof the ugly duckling.

And those who dont know alot about trains seem to notice that they are different. Always got comments when I ran mine for friends or family. "Whats that one?"

Enjoy!

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:55 AM

Just a diffferent body style... imagine what would have happened if they had gone that way instead of to hood units?  What would SD60s and later have come out like.

For a real ugly duck try the Ingolls S4.

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Saturday, September 16, 2006 9:15 AM

The BL2 was a orphan locomotive.You see EMD's design engineers did not like it,the sales department did not like and above all the railroads did not like it..

So,it was soon dropped and replace with Dick Dilworths "ugly duckling" GP7.

Long time Train magazine's editor David P.Morgan  once described the BL2 as a cross between a cab unit and a Bordon's Milk car.I concur with that description

The BL2 suffered the same fate as the Cab unit did when it came to switching cars..The engineer could not see the switchmen on the ground or riding the  foot boards and that is what basically doom the BL2 as a road switcher..

Why EMD design this unit remains a mystery to this day since the road switcher conception wasn't anything new to railroading..After all ALCO had 3 types of Road switchers on the market in 1948 the RS1 and RS2/RSC2.

EMD's NW5 was a better choice for a road switcher over the BL2. After all the engineer had good  vision from the cab compared to the vision from the cab of the ill fated BL2.

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

"Stay Alert, Don't get hurt  Safety First!"

• 1,306 posts
Posted by Wdlgln005 on Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:02 PM

The BL2 was an attempt to adapt the cab carbody into a switching/ branchline world. Some BL2's had a s/g for a passenger train. You may find pictures of a short Monon train pulled by a BL2/F3 combo. The C&O in Michigan had some BL2 passenger runs.

The fatal flaw is the weaker carbody. BL2's can't be used as trailing units, the forces pull them apart. The Monon model may be the same # as the unit at the Kentucky RR museum. Worth a visit to find out!

The LL models are very nice. The Nscale ones started LL on the split frame design- good pullers & performance similar to Atlas or Kato.

Glenn Woodle
  • 1,377 posts
Posted by SOU Fan on Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:31 PM

Hey cudaken,

If you wnat great deals not from e-stupid try here.  www.modeltrainstuff.com  They have proto 2000 SD45's for 39.99.

-dekruif

• 3,672 posts
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:49 PM

The BL1/BL2 was EMD's first halting excursion into the world of road switchers.  I have seen many photos of them - being rare they have tended to attract an inordinate amount of attention over the years - but have never encountered one in the real world.  Like the H2 Hummer and this little box from Toyota/Scion they were just ugly enough to be "cute", a word which should never be used in model railroading.

Curiously, however, this past weeks episode of Trains and Locomotives on RFDTV had a featured segment on Cass Scenic and there was some film of a C&O lettered BL2 hauling a photo-op freight on the Greenbrier line shot before the 1985 wipe-out by floodwaters.  That was, to the best of my knowledge, the first time I have ever seen the BL2 in actual moving operation.

According to what I remember being published on this issue, the unit was a failure for two reasons:  1) the offset characteristics of the truss-supported body made it very expensive to construct, and 2) the design of the body did not give much better rearward visibility than the F3 which provided the operational mechanism for the beast and which was its contemporary on the assembly line.  Wdlgln005 addresses a third issue, that of structural weakness.  I have never seen that issue addressed and I fail to comprehend its import because the unit was, in essence, an F3 with a weird appearance carbody.   

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:22 PM

The BL design was one that even its mother (EMD) didn't love very much, considering how quickly it was transmogrified into the GP7 and the relative popularity and longevity of the two designs.  About the only thing the BL had going for it was the impossibility of snow buildup on the walkways it didn't have.

Chuck

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:26 PM
 BRAKIE wrote:
Why EMD design this unit remains a mystery to this day since the road switcher conception wasn't anything new to railroading..After all ALCO had 3 types of Road switchers on the market in 1948 the RS1 and RS2/RSC2.
  The source I quoted above also indicates that a second design goal was that their appearance would be "attractive on suburban and local passenger trains".  Streamlining was still a big deal back then, although definitely not the craze that it had in the 1930s.

R. T. POTEET wrote:
Like the H2 Hummer and this little box from Toyota/Scion they were just ugly enough to be "cute",
I don't consider the Scion to be ugly.  I think "stupid looking" is a much better description.  Ugly is what I call that Pontiac Aztek.
  • 243 posts
Posted by PA Belt on Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:34 PM
BL2 FOREVER!  i love these engines, they aint ugly, well, then a gain your talkin to a kid that thinks moter oil is art
-mike A.K.A. Slappy http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/ B&LE: It ain't owned by CN, it owns CN!
  • 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:09 AM

Hey thanks for all the answers folks. I will post some PIC when I get it. Main reason I went for it besides the prices all I have in the way of 4 wheel truck engines (not count the side line LL engines) is a pair of F-7's A and B units both powered.

Like I said, not sure if it is ugly, but sure is driffent looking.

PA Belt, you have any other OIC you could post? If I part it out would you like the body?

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 243 posts
Posted by PA Belt on Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:40 AM
ioc?
cool, i could use the body!  ill put it on my f3 frame!
-mike A.K.A. Slappy http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/ B&LE: It ain't owned by CN, it owns CN!
  • 243 posts
Posted by PA Belt on Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:49 AM
bl2

bl1

• 431 posts
Posted by ezielinski on Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:23 PM

EMD's diesel program was well underway in the late 1940's and early 1950's, thanks to the success of the company's FT demonstrations across the country. While the F units in production were great for moving trains over the railroad, their full-width carbody made it difficult for locomotive crews to see to the rear of the locomotive. The F-units also lacked anywhere for a brakeman or switchman to stand and ride short distances while performing switching duties. The F-units did have grab irons and stirrup steps, but these features didn't do any good in tight clearances.

Since the engine inside the locomotive's hood didn't take up the full carbody width, it seemed only logical that the hood could be "cut away" a bit to allow the crew to see and ride safely. This wasn't an entirely new idea either, as the PRR's GG1 fleet, which featured large cutout sections in its hoods, had been in service since 1934.

Another problem facing EMD was that ALCo was making inroads into a market that EMD would have liked to keep to themselves; ALCO's RS series switchers were starting to take over many of the tasks that EMD wanted to fulfill with their own locomotives.

EMD's designers and engineers set to work and came up with the carbody reminiscent of the GG1 with mechanics that contained the technical knowledge they had learned with the company's F-unit series. Starting from an F3, the product of their efforts became the BL1 demonstrator. The BL in the locomotive's model name officially stood for "Branch Line", indicating that EMD felt the locomotive was best suited for light traffic and frequent switching chores.

The BL1 and BL2 differed only in mechanical details, and only one BL1 was built. 58 more BL2s were built and sold to a few railroads, primarily in the eastern and midwestern United States.

This model of locomotive was sold for both freight and passenger service and the locomotive's intended purpose could be easily identified by the presence or absence of an exhaust stack between the two windshield panes. This exhaust stack was for the steam generator on passenger service units.

Limiting the locomotives success were several mechanical and ergonomic features. The mechanical components within the engine compartment were difficult to access and maintain, reducing its appeal among railroad shop crews. The locomotive's carbody lacked the full-length walkways of subsequent GP diesels, making it difficult for the brakeman or switchman to move from one point on the locomotive to another during switching operations. Finally, although the industrial designers at EMD tried to build a carbody that evoked high-class passenger trains while retaining the utilitarianism of railroad work, the visual design never quite caught on. However, even though the BL2 didn't succeed very well, EMD's engineers learned quite a bit from the endeavor and incorporated all of the good ideas from it into the company's widely successful GP series of locomotives.

The initial purchasers of the BL2 were these railroads (in serial number order):

Serial #'s Railroad Road No Qty
4449–4452  Monon   30-33   4
4724–4729

Chesapeake and Ohio

80-85   6
5243–5244  Monon   34-35   2
5259–5262  Boston and Main   1550-1553   4
5451–5458  MoPac   4104-4111   8
5528–5533  Florida East Coast   601-606   6
5921–5922  Western Maryland Railway   81-82   2
6013–6013  Chicago and Eastern Illinois   1600–1601   1
6134–6138  Rock Island   425-429   5
6275–6281  Chesapeake and Ohio   1840-1846   7
7428  Chicago and Eastern Illinois   1602   1
8161–8166  Bangor and Aroostook   550–555 (later 50–55)   6
8420–8422  Monon   36-38   3
8616–8617  Bangor and Aroostook   556–557 (later 56–57)   2

(Taken from Wikipedia)

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:56 PM

Texas Zepher wrote:
 BRAKIE wrote:

The source I quoted above also indicates that a second design goal was that their appearance would be "attractive on suburban and local passenger trains".  Streamlining was still a big deal back then, although definitely not the craze that it had in the 1930s.

What I quoted came from Max Ephraim in Classic Trains"GM Geep in Action" video.

Mr.Ephraim was a GM locomotive designer and added first hand knowledge to the video about the BL2 and the geeps according to him nobody liked the BL2 including the design engineers and the sales department and he didn't know why they bothered with it.

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

"Stay Alert, Don't get hurt  Safety First!"

• 735 posts
Posted by wgnrr on Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:39 PM

R. T. POTEET wrote:

Curiously, however, this past weeks episode of Trains and Locomotives on RFDTV had a featured segment on Cass Scenic and there was some film of a C&O lettered BL2 hauling a photo-op freight on the Greenbrier line shot before the 1985 wipe-out by floodwaters.  That was, to the best of my knowledge, the first time I have ever seen the BL2 in actual moving operation.

Just wanted to mildly correct you on this. It was painted for Western Maryland.

The BL2, nicknamed "Bluto" (for it's overweight and bulky appearence, like Bluto on Popeye the Sailor cartoons, and because of: BL, and BLuto) on my layout has to be my favorite diesel of all time.

I recently have done a research project on the diesels of the Cass Scenic Railroad. To me, they are more interiesting than the Shay's, Heisler, and Climax.

The BL2 was used as WM #82. Later, it was renumbered 7182. Late in it's life, it was paired with slug 138-T, and was used in the Hagerstown, MD yard.

After the Chessie System take over, it was renumbered 7172. It was donated by Chessie to Cass in 1983. In 1983-1985, it was used as power for the Greenbrier River excursions, with 'Big Shay" 6, and other Shays.

It was known for all of it's rust.

After the flood ceased the use of the line, it was put into storage. After a ex-South Branch Valley Railroad MRS-1 proved to be too hard on track, the BL2 was used as a shop goat starting around 1989.

In 1992, it broke down, and was sent to the South Branch Valley railroad. In 1995, it was sold to them.

It was returned to operating condition in 95', as yard power.

It was then sold to the West Virginia Central Railrad for possible use. The engine was completly restored, and was placed into service in 2000. It operates today.

Phil

My Photo Albums: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/martin_lumber/ http://tinyurl.com/3yzns6
  • 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Monday, September 18, 2006 1:42 AM

Texas Zepher wrote:
 BRAKIE wrote:

The earlier reference to David P. Morgan's description, "A cross between a cab unit and a Borden milk car," fits my sentiments exactly.

Believe it or not, there was another locomotive with a very similar appearance!  Some time in the '30's, the South Manchuria Railway had a 4-6-4T, streamstyled by Raymond Loewy, that bore more than a passing resemblance.  (Loewy designed the carbody of the GG-1.  He should have quit while he was ahead!)

Chuck

• 86 posts
Posted by drafterdude on Monday, September 18, 2006 6:03 AM
The BL2 at the KRM is No.32. Hopefully it will be back in service soon as we just replaced the blowers this spring after having them rebuilt.
  • 93 posts
Posted by prospekt mira on Monday, September 18, 2006 8:32 AM

Hey

I had bid on that one (kinda liked the unique looks even it none ever made it up here). Glad to see its gone to a good home.

• 430 posts
Posted by Cannoli on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:24 PM
I've always loved the BL2, it's such a unique loco. I model a fictional B&M branchline so I have a Proto2K B&M BL2 as part of my loco roster although it doesn't really fit in with my mid 70's time frame. It always attracts peoples attention when I run it though because it's so different looking.

Modeling the fictional B&M Dowe, NH branch in the early 50's.

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:40 PM

Krasny Strela, if you where the other bidder I sort of sorry I beat you out. Not that I don't want it that is. Seller had listed another one NIB for buy it now $30.00. Have no idea if it is still there or not.

Should have it by Saturday.

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 243 posts
Posted by PA Belt on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:41 PM
do i get the body as agreed?
  • 356 posts
Posted by myred02 on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:52 PM
 Wdlgln005 wrote:

The BL2 was an attempt to adapt the cab carbody into a switching/ branchline world. Some BL2's had a s/g for a passenger train. You may find pictures of a short Monon train pulled by a BL2/F3 combo. The C&O in Michigan had some BL2 passenger runs.

The fatal flaw is the weaker carbody. BL2's can't be used as trailing units, the forces pull them apart. The Monon model may be the same # as the unit at the Kentucky RR museum. Worth a visit to find out!

The LL models are very nice. The Nscale ones started LL on the split frame design- good pullers & performance similar to Atlas or Kato.

I've seen that Monon BL2 at the Kentucky Railroad Museum before. It looks just like the BL2 in one of PA Belt's pictures (it might even be the same one, can't quite remember the number). This particular BL2 is sometimes used to haul the Museum's tourist train. (Only when the L&N steamer or the ONLY CF7 in Santa Fe Yellowbonnet freight paint aren't pulling it. The Kentucky RR museum has all sorts of goodies, don't they?) That museum is worth a visit, trust me.

-Brandon

Modeling (and railfanning) the CSX mainlines since... ah fudge I forgot! http://myred02.rrpicturearchives.net/ http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=myred02
  • 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:44 PM

Yes PA Belt if I don't like the body it is yours. If you have another shell that would fit or another engine you would like to trade let me know.Post PIC on this posting if you have anything to trade. I am weak on engine ID's at this point. Only reason I bought it was the cost and my lack of 8 wheels drive engines. Used is fine as long as it works well, this one is NIB.

Here are a few links on E-Stupid for BL 2's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220028991888&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330030033951&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I hope to have the BL this Saturday and will post some PIC if folks would like to see them.

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 5,084 posts
Posted by G Paine on Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:15 AM

Another place to see a 1:1 BL-2 is at the Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor, ME. The museum is open May 1 to Nov 11, and is mostly cars and trucks.

http://www.colemuseum.org/

This is Bangor & Aroostook RR BL-2 #557 that was built in 1949 and retired in 1980. BAR (called B&A in northern and central Maine) kept these old diesels running in maineline service long after most railroads scrapped or traded theirs. The railfans loved them!

George In Midcoast Maine, 'bout halfway up the Rockland branch 

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Friday, November 10, 2006 12:04 AM
PA Belt, I now have 4 and bidding on a 5th BL 2 Monon. There are 2 left for buy it now on E-stupid.

Just thought I let you know.

Now I need other Monon's that are not BL 2's. Seems there more BL 2's than other engine's.

Cuda Ken

I hate Rust

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Friday, November 10, 2006 6:30 AM
 Wdlgln005 wrote:

Say what? The Bangor and Aroostook used them as trailing units quite frequently. Here's a couple of units squeezed between a pair of F-3's.

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, November 10, 2006 9:33 AM

You almost have to wonder if the design studio at GM was having a slow day, since they had not come up with "bowtie" tail lights and fins yet. Could Harvey Earl have yearned for the Raymond Lowey  industrial design mantel?

Thankfully the form follows function axiom lead from the Alco RS to the GM "geeps", but lead to latest slap some boxes on the frame, who cares what it looks like design school. BL-2s might have been "Ugly Ducklings" but they still have some charm in retrospect.

Will

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all