7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 965 posts
Cuba purchases Chinese diesel locomotives
Posted by Lyon_Wonder on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:09 PM
12 Chinese locomotives arrive in Cuba
www.chinaview.cn 2006-01-10 09:15:29

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-01/10/content_4031857.htm

HAVANA, Jan. 9 (Xinhuanet) -- A delivery of 12 new Chinese locomotives, which will be the most modern and fuel-efficient on Cuba's rail network, arrived at the port of Havana on Monday, Cuban daily Granma reported.

It was part of a Cuban government plan to improve the country's rail service.

The DF7G-C diesel-electric locomotives with 2,500 horse power were shipped in December 2005 from China, said Granma.

The shipment also contained 80 buses, part of a contract for 1,000 vehicles, 700 of which will start to provide long distance travel services in the first quarter of this year.

Cuba's rail refurbishment program, which began in 2005, has repaired 60 locomotives and 1,800 wagons.

Rail transport as a whole rose 13 percent, and the movement of food stuff by train rose 60 percent in 2005 compared with those in 2004.

Cuba has a plan to upgrade its transport system by purchasing new equipment this year.
  • 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:28 PM
Of course we cant sell them any shiny new loco's because of the outdated trade embargo, sheesh!!!! If they've got money for Chinese locos it should be obvious to anyone that the embargo has nothing left to it, just a political punishment against Castro's regime. Build one Walmart in the middle of Havana and the 'revolution' would be over...as it is we'll have to wait a couple more years till Castro kicks off before the antiquated mindsets in both Cuba and DC finally come to their senses and resume trade and tourism.

I fail to see how our governemnt can go on and on condemning Cuba for being 'Commies' and for a lousy human rights record while at the same time bowing over backwards to do business with that other 'Commie' nation with a lousy human rights record, anyone here even remember Tienamin Square??? Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

Guess it just goes to show that our government would trade with the Devil if there was enough money involved..

PS I wonder just how long the embargo would have lasted if Cuba was full of Oil instead of Sugercane ????

Have fun with your trains

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:55 PM
What??? I thought it was us Canadians that supplied trains and buses(and cows) to Cuba in exchange for cigars and brown sugar. Where's this China place???
  • 591 posts
Posted by techguy57 on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:07 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by vsmith

I fail to see how our governemnt can go on and on condemning Cuba for being 'Commies' and for a lousy human rights record while at the same time bowing over backwards to do business with that other 'Commie' nation with a lousy human rights record, anyone here even remember Tienamin Square??? Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

Guess it just goes to show that our government would trade with the Devil if there was enough money involved..

PS I wonder just how long the embargo would have lasted if Cuba was full of Oil instead of Sugercane ????

Vic,
Yeah, kinda ironic that we take our terrorist prisoners to Cuba and deny them their rights as granted by the Geneva Conventionand then condemn Cuba about their lousy human rights record.

Back to the topic of Cuba's railroads, does anyone know how much trackage they have and besides the new diesels what kind of locos they operate?
techguy "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever." - Anonymous
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:09 PM
I guess the days of Cuban steam are coming to a close
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:31 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Vic on this one. The embargo is pointless.
  • 712 posts
Posted by Tulyar15 on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:22 AM
I think steam only survives on a few sugar plant railroads, many of them narrow gauge. Right now they're offering quite a lot of locos for sales in a variety of gauges both narrow and standard ie 4' 8.5"

They have quite a motley collection of diesel locos and stock including a few British built ones. In the 1960's they bought some diesels from the British builder Brush which were almost identical the 2,700hp Sulzer locos Brush built for British Rail (Class 47). But I think the Cuban ones have been scrapped now.
  • 240 posts
Posted by ddechamp71 on Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:34 PM
Locos and rolling stock in Cuba is a melting pot....
-steam locos, infortunately quickly vanishing, are mainly narrow and standard gauge Baldwin and Lima Moguls and Consolidations, which are (were) working in sugar mills and assorted networks...Some of these remain now as tourist railroads, such as José Smith Comas not far from Varadero. But as this country is communist, bureaucraty is terrifying and it appears more difficult to board one of these trains than for myself to obtain a free flight aboard the Space Shuttle......
-diesel: a lot of canadian (MLW), russian, and also some GE C30-7s imported from Mexico, and with smaller fuel tanks in order to save weight and accomodate Cuba's lighter rail system...
-freight cars: as far as I have seen on an afternoon spent railfanning besides a yard close to Havana main station, it looks like Eastern Europe / Russia prototype .
-passenger cars: various origin (Canada I believe), with a few ex-French National Railroad comfort cars (Budd like ondulated steel). I've also seen some on the same location, but I've not been able to see if the original european style couplers (screw couplers with buffers) have been changed to knuckle couplers.....

Dominique

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy