Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Micro-Mark roof stock

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 30,002 posts
Micro-Mark roof stock
Posted by rrinker on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:39 PM

So I ordered a Micro-Mark truck tuner, and naturally did not want to pau $8.95 shippign for a $13 item so I ordered a few more things I needed anyway. Or so I tell myself...

While browsing I came across some basswood roof stock they sell. One is "overhanging HP freight car roof". Dimensions are given, and it made me go hmmmm. So out came my digital caliper, and one of my hopper cars I am trying to make into a covered hopper (picked up 2 to replace the one the dog ate - see how this works?) and - hmm, the inside dimension is exactly the same..and the width across the overhang is exactly the outside width of the cars. So I added a piece to my order - each piece os 24" long so that will make the 3 I haven't gotten that far on yet, plus still be enough that, if it works, will be nicer than the one I did get a roof on.

Anyone use this stuff at all? I suspect it's much like the old Walthers pasenger car kit roof material. Sure will simplify making the covered hoppers if it works out. Just have to make hatches and grabs and a roofwalk. CA should work to secure styrene to the basswod, if I put some on the wood first - or else some epoxy. I also have two tubes or Pliobond from when I was going to try to build Fast Tracks turnouts, that might even be better.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 3,246 posts
Posted by modelmaker51 on Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:01 AM

Have you tried getting in touch with the manufacturer(S) of the hoppers for replacement roofs? That'd be a lot less work!

Jay 

C-415 Build: https://imageshack.com/a/tShC/1 

Other builds: https://imageshack.com/my/albums 

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:23 AM

There are no replacement roofs. These are open hoppers that are being converted to covered hoppers - in the same way the prototype did, by adding a roof. The article is in the September 1997 MR. Basically, take one Accurail USRA 55 ton open hopper, add a pair of peaked ends, add a sheet styrene roof, add roofwalk, hatches, grabs, and latch bars - covered hopper.

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/204390.aspx

--Randy

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 1,001 posts
Posted by jerryl on Friday, May 11, 2012 11:50 AM

I know Micro Mark & others overcharge for shipping so you will order other things to keep the shipping to a lower percentage of the order. This usually works the other way with me.  The only time I order from them is if a large item I want is on sale I will add other things that keep me in the same shipping cost category & since I am in NJ I have to include sales tax.  It would be nice if they could charge actual shipping charge.  Probably not worth their time to ship a few small items & charge $1.00....but it would be nice.

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Friday, May 11, 2012 1:26 PM

Naturally, two days after my order they emailed an offer for free shipping, I ordered enough stuff that it would have qualified. Oh well.

--Randy

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Friday, May 11, 2012 4:43 PM

ANyway, just got home, box was waiting for me. This roof stock is going to be great! Fits perfectly. Talk about making things easier. I'll just have to seal it and sand it, but that's still a lot easier than trying to make the darn ends out of sheet styrene.

--Randy

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all