Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Painting the El Capitan interiors

28 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,829 posts
Painting the El Capitan interiors
Posted by Southwest Chief on Friday, May 4, 2012 9:12 PM

I started painting my Walthers El Capitan Hi-Level interiors.  They really pop out at you when painted.  And they look so much more realistic then the typical tan Walthers interior. 

The coaches are pretty easy with just seats and a few wall panels to paint.  The diner took a little longer.  But the lounge, man did that take a long time to paint.

Here's the lounge:

Have you painted your Walthers Hi-Level interiors yet?  I'd like to see some photos if you have.

Matt from Anaheim, CA and Bayfield, CO
Click Here for my model train photo website

• 9,635 posts
Posted by AntonioFP45 on Friday, May 4, 2012 9:22 PM

SWChief,

Wow!  Beautiful, very meticulous work. I've saved your photos for basic reference as Santa Fe cars (single level, of course) often ran on east coast trains in sleeper run through as well as pool service.

Your El Capitan is going to be a first class train all the way around!

"I like my Pullman Standards & Budds in Stainless Steel flavors, thank you!"

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Friday, May 4, 2012 9:23 PM

Southwest Chief
Have you painted your Walthers Hi-Level interiors yet?

No, that project is in queue after all the projects for the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society convention in June.

Your's are looking good and definitely an inspiration.

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:47 PM

Below is a list of paints and colors I'm using. 

Most are acrylics from Michaels.  A lot I had on hand from previous HO structure projects.  The few I purchased specifically for these interiors include; Reef Blue, Sweet Potato, and Indian Turquoise.

I didn't bother painting much of the lower level on the coaches and diner since you can't see much through the lower windows.  Plus I'm putting shades on the lower level of the coaches.  Pretty much all I'm painting on the lower levels is the entry way with silver.

Coach

Seats:
Apple Barrel - Reef Blue (21348)

Floor:
Americana - Mississippi Mud (DA094)

Walls:
Americana - Indian Turquoise ( DA087)

Metal Parts:
Dazzling Metallics - Shimmering Silver (DA070)

Diner

Seats:
Apple Barrel - Sweet Potato (21381)

Floor:
Americana - Mississippi Mud (DA094)

Walls:

Metal Parts:

Lounge Upstairs

Seats/Chairs:
Mix of Apple Barrel - Sweet Potato (21381) with a little FolkArt - Nutmeg (944)

Curved Couch Seats:
Americana - Cocoa (DA259)

Table Tops:
Splotchy undercoat of FolkArt - Nutmeg (944) and a splotchy top coat of Americana - Camel (DA191)

Floor:
Mix of Americana - Mississippi Mud (DA094) and Americana - Plantation pine (DA113)

Walls:

Walls:
Americana - Camel (DA191)

Metal Parts:

Newsstand Top:
PollyScale - Oily Black (F414326)

Lounge Downstairs

Seats and Curved Couch Seats:
Americana - Cocoa (DA259)

Single Bar Seat:
Mix of Apple Barrel - Sweet Potato (21381) with a little FolkArt - Nutmeg (944)

Table Tops:
Undercoat of FolkArt - Nutmeg (944) with light splotchy top coat of Americana - Camel (DA191)

Floor:
Mix of Americana - Mississippi Mud (DA094) and Americana - Plantation pine (DA113)

Walls:
Americana - Camel (DA191)

Metal Parts:

Bar Top:
PollyScale - Oily Black (F414326)

• 550 posts
Posted by hdtvnut on Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:01 PM

Great looking.  I hope to do something similar soon.

Did anyone besides me run into a problem of the ladders at the baggage doors on the transition car interfering with the truck gear?  I removed them until I can find some others for side mounting.

Walthers products seem prone to ladders causing interference to trucks, also steps on cabooses.

Hal

• 7 posts
Posted by Perry County train man on Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:20 PM

Nice job Chief. Lounge looks cool.

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:35 PM

Here's a very crude pic of the Step Up coach I finished adding headrests to today.

Sorry for the photo quality.  I used my cell phone as my sister has the good camera.

When I get the good camera back I'll take some better photos.

Here's the scaled headrest I'm using:

I insert this image into a Word document.  The image is scaled on my computer  but I doubt it will scale by posting it online.  The image size I use is (0.156" wide by 0.171" high).

After inserting the image to a Word document, I copy and paste the image to get lots of mini headrests to print on one sheet.

I print these in color.  And yes I have to cut out each one.  I glue them to the seat backs with tacky glue.

Phew Zzz, lots of time and repetition to do it.  But in the end I think it is totally worth it.

• 1,138 posts
Posted by chatanuga on Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:28 PM

Excellent work!  I agree that painting the interiors improves the appearance of the Walthers cars.  I popped the tops and sides off mine to paint the interiors using toothpicks and #0 brushes.  It was a bit of work and took a while, but I think they look much better.  I also added end gates on the open vestibule ends and masked off and painted the center posts on the 48-seat coach's windows.  All that's needed now is to add people and some window shades in some of the windows.

Kevin

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:18 PM

Nice work Kevin. 

I like how you painted on the window bars.  Thankfully the new Hi-Levels have excellent window bars.  Guess Walthers keeps improving as time goes on.

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:08 PM

Got some better photos of the first Step Up coach in my consist.

I did not like the few reversed chairs (what I call "group seating").  So I cut them out and flipped them so all seats now face forward.  The few tables that were included were also removed.  Looks a lot better and more prototypical in my opinion. 

Oops, looks like I forgot to paint the screw tops the same color as the floor.  It also looks like I have to push the roof on a little better in that last photo.  But I'll be back inside again to add figures...and to paint the screw tops Embarrassed

When all the inside/detail work gets done I'll add the car number decals.

• 997 posts
Posted by BIG JERR on Monday, May 7, 2012 2:18 AM

stop it now,are you kidding me ! that is just over the top Bow head rest potecters you guys are killin me....that looks sooooo good..Jw

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Monday, May 7, 2012 12:11 PM

Really great work and I am sure it takes a lot of time.

Are you going to have plates and silverware with other details in the diner??     Please give us more pictures of the finished interiors when you have time.  

Did you photo print the patterns on the tables??

Great detail work!

CZ

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Monday, May 7, 2012 12:28 PM

CAZEPHYR

Are you going to have plates and silverware with other details in the diner??

Kind of reading my mind on the diner Big Smile

I have plate settings for my Intermountain Hi-Level diner.  So I have to open the old diner up and swap its plates, etc...to the new Walthers diner.  Next thing on my list to do.

The table tops were brush painted.  The real pattern was a little different, based on the photos I have.  Sort of a Hopi/Navajo inspired pattern.  Here's a photo link of a real Hi-Level lounge taken in the 1960s (Lounge Interior Link)

I couldn't find any color images of this pattern.  But since it is so small I just went with a simulated "wood" Formica look.  The interior color info I have mentions Shell Oak Formica for the table tops.

• 587 posts
Posted by garr on Monday, May 7, 2012 4:42 PM

In Greg Stout's "Santa Fe through Passenger Service Volume 1", on page 20, there is a color photo of the interior of a Hi-Level lounge car. In the bottom, center of the photo part of one of the table tops can be seen behind the lady with the bee-hive hairdo.

The table's light color appears to be close to the same color as the ceiling and walls (sand, tan, or light khaki color often seen in industrial uses) and dark brown or black for the patterns.

Jay

• 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Monday, May 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Thanks for the photo tip Jay.

Didn't even know it was in there.  But yep, great color photo right there on the bottom of page 20.  Thanks again for the heads up.

I also noticed some beverage menus in that photo Wink

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Monday, May 7, 2012 8:52 PM

Southwest Chief

CAZEPHYR:

Are you going to have plates and silverware with other details in the diner??

Kind of reading my mind on the diner Big Smile

I have plate settings for my Intermountain Hi-Level diner.  So I have to open the old diner up and swap its plates, etc...to the new Walthers diner.  Next thing on my list to do.

The table tops were brush painted.  The real pattern was a little different, based on the photos I have.  Sort of a Hopi/Navajo inspired pattern.  Here's a photo link of a real Hi-Level lounge taken in the 1960s (Lounge Interior Link)

I couldn't find any color images of this pattern.  But since it is so small I just went with a simulated "wood" Formica look.  The interior color info I have mentions Shell Oak Formica for the table tops.

Thanks for the links also.   Be sure and post some finished pictures of the diner interior!!!

Thanks again

CZ

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 5:53 PM

I got my tube of goodies for purchasing the Walthers hi level cars, and one of the things in there was a reproduction of the brochure advertising the hi level cars. It has the color ads, so I am going to work off of that for the interior colors (the same ads that you posted for everyone in the other thread). Thanks for posting this info. Good reference material for all. I just need to set aside time to tear my cars down and get this done.

Smitty
  • 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:33 PM

csmith9474

I got my tube of goodies for purchasing the Walthers hi level cars, and one of the things in there was a reproduction of the brochure advertising the hi level cars.

Wasn't that a nice treat from Walthers.  Great poster too.

One thing to watch with the brochure colors is the upstairs lounge round couch seating, called banquette and settees in my materials.  Both the Walthers repro and original brochures show them the same red as the table seats.  But they actually were beige...according to the written materials I have.

Hope to post some photos of the diner interior soon.

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:55 PM

If you recall, we were discussing the colors of the coach seats against the "pamphlet" in another thread. For some reason the printed material in the Walther's "goodie tube" looked more accurate than what you posted in that thread, even though that was the same thing. I guess the color settings on my computer must have made it look too dark.

Also, I fgured out what I am going to do with my TSP hi levels. I am going to just use them in a late era San Diegan. I really don't want to just retire or get rid of them just because I have the newer cars from Walthers. That would eat up one of my step up coaches and two 72 seat chair cars.

Smitty
  • 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:12 PM

It was probably my scanner messing up the colors.  It's an older HP model that needs special conversion software just to use it with Windows Vista 64 (what my laptop has).

Nice idea on how to use the old TSP cars.

I have the original TSP kits, Intermountain assembled, and now the new Walthers Hi-Levels.  Kind of Hi-Level crazy Clown

I plan to use my old Hi-Levels as a display with the new Walthers LAUPT kit...which I finally got.  But another thing to build.

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:17 PM

Here I go getting OT once again, but what do you think of the cardstock in the LAUPT kit? Does it seem like it is pretty sturdy? My biggest worry would be humidity, but I now live in Utah and plan on moving back to Colorado at some point, so I should be alright.

Edit: Fortunately I don't have many of the TSP cars. I am modeling the combined Super/El Cap, so all I have is a diner, 2 68 seat chair cars, and 2 of the 72 seat chair cars. I also have a baggage/dorm that I constructed using brass car sides. That will probably just be "retired". I have a lot of work in all this, but they just don't look right coupled to the Walthers hi level cars.

Smitty
  • 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:53 PM

csmith9474

what do you think of the cardstock in the LAUPT kit?

I haven't opened the box yet Embarrassed

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:01 PM

I am going to continue off topic here, but have you numbered your cars yet? It seems like the finish is glossy enough to hold on to a decal fairly well, and with a little Solvaset all should be good. I really don't want to have to put an overcoat on the decals if I don't have to.

Smitty
  • 1,829 posts
Posted by Southwest Chief on Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:18 PM

I'll put the decals on last.  I'd hate to damage them while working on the rest of the car.

But I agree, they are glossy enough to take the decal.  Solvaset is also a good idea.  Help to "melt" the decal on.

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:47 PM

Yeah, I am not really sure how thick the Walthers decals are. I am hoping the edges will overlap the number boards to help hide the edge. I will probably give it a shot this weekend on the dorm/baggage since I am not going to detail the interior on that (all shades down).

Smitty
  • 58 posts
Posted by k9wrangler on Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:20 PM

Walthers decals set well on the one car I've done, transition car, but care should be used if using the microscale 2 solvent solution, as the decals get real soft real fast.  I ruined 2 of the 3 numbers before I got patient enough not to try and fiddle with the positioning.

Karl Scribner

Sunfield Twp. Michigan

Kentucky Southern Railway

• 329 posts
Posted by Charlie on Monday, June 25, 2012 7:00 PM

MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

• 291 posts
Posted by sakel on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:49 PM

?

Samuel A. Kelly

I can draw pictures with my keyboard!

-------- ( It's a worm)

• 329 posts
Posted by Charlie on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:28 PM

It appears that some of us are having problems posting our replies. It appears that what we type is not being saved. From what my memory serves, the interiors were painted Turquoise from the windows to the ceiling and Coral from below the windows to the floor. Carpeting was a mottled green and the seats were a blue green shade or sea foam.

Charlie

MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all