28 locos to NYC TA

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 11,834 posts
28 locos to NYC TA
Posted by blue streak 1 on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:22 PM
  • 6,406 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:44 PM

This makes me wonder if the subways have any dual power locos ( diesel-electric/electric). like some of the other NY area railroads.

• 20,016 posts
Posted by daveklepper on Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:09 AM

I am fairly certain that the TA never did and neither did the systems that were private before 1942.

• 13,481 posts
Posted by CSSHEGEWISCH on Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:47 AM

I was surprised to find out a few years back that the NYCTA M/W locomotives are conventional diesel-electrics, no dual-powers.  For more information, see this link:

http://www.nycsubway.org/cars/locomotives.html

The daily commute is part of everyday life but I get two rides a day out of it. Paul
  • 2,289 posts
Posted by carnej1 on Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:21 AM

MidlandMike

This makes me wonder if the subways have any dual power locos ( diesel-electric/electric). like some of the other NY area railroads.

I recall reading that the new locomotives will have third rail pickups but could that be for the signalling system rathter than for power?

"I Often Dream of Trains"-From the Album of the Same Name by Robyn Hitchcock

• 13,481 posts
Posted by CSSHEGEWISCH on Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:01 PM

carnej1

I recall reading that the new locomotives will have third rail pickups but could that be for the signalling system rathter than for power?

Not unlike the diesels on Pacific Electric that were equipped with trolley poles.

The daily commute is part of everyday life but I get two rides a day out of it. Paul
  • 6,406 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:19 PM

CSSHEGEWISCH

I was surprised to find out a few years back that the NYCTA M/W locomotives are conventional diesel-electrics, no dual-powers.  For more information, see this link:

http://www.nycsubway.org/cars/locomotives.html

I see they had some electrics (R77-E, steeple cabs, etc.)  I suppose they could have paired a diesel and an electric if the situation called for it.

• 9,592 posts
Posted by BroadwayLion on Monday, May 7, 2012 9:26 AM

NYCT has electric locomotives and diesel locomotives, but no dual mode locomotives. The electrics, including the new ones, do have third rail shoes (they have nothing to do with signals) but they are not for electric collection, they are there for breaking ice off of the third rails in the winter time, or so I am told.

ROAR

The Route of the Broadway Lion The Largest Subway Layout in North Dakota.

Here there be cats.                                LIONS with CAMERAS

• 6,406 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Monday, May 7, 2012 12:11 PM

BroadwayLion

NYCT has electric locomotives and diesel locomotives, but no dual mode locomotives. The electrics, including the new ones, do have third rail shoes (they have nothing to do with signals) but they are not for electric collection, they are there for breaking ice off of the third rails in the winter time, or so I am told.

ROAR

I could see the diesels having 3rd rail shoes to break winter ice, but if the electrics didn't also use the shoes for collection, how would they be powered?

• 20,016 posts
Posted by daveklepper on Monday, May 14, 2012 3:46 AM

He must have the same Dislexia that I have.   He meant diesels.   Yes, the diesels are used to break the ice on third rails, and also to haul out stranded subway trains.   Yes, diesels with third rail shoes, and electrics have third rail shoes to pick up electricity.   Some of the older electrics also had trolley poles at one time and hauled frieght on the MacDonald Avenue streetcar tracks and under trolley wire into Bush Terminal.   The R10, R12, and R14 subway cars were delivered via the LIRR - South Brooklyn intercnange track at Avenue H and MacDonald Avenue, conncecting to the 11000V AC Bay Ridge freight line.   About a 40 foot gap between AC catenary and DC trolley wire.   Sign on one side  "AC motors stop HERE."     Sign on the other side "DC motors stop HERE.".   Rode a fan trip with one of  the trolley pole (and 3rd rail) motors pulling a D-Type subway train down MacDonald Avenue going to the surface at the 9th Avenue Station and reentering the subway system at Coney Island Yard.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy