Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

UP scrapping heritage fleet

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 231 posts
Posted by johngriffey18ca1 on Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:17 AM

Omaha, Nebraska (AP) — In an unprecedented move, Union Pacific announced today the immediate repaint of all 6 Heritage Fleet locomotives.  The six locomotives representing 6 railroads Union Pacific took over from 1982 to 1996 will be repainted immediately.  "The reason is simple"  James Wright UP BSO explained, "Norfolk Southern has the nerve to one up us with 19 locomotives and I say the heck with this heritage fleet stuff."  Mr. Wright went on to further explain, "It was our idea to begin with, then they decide to show off with 19 of their own and without giving us time to up our game they start rolling them out like a bakery rolls out birthday cakes.  It just isn't fair so we quit at the heritage fleet game."  When asked to comment about the Olympic Torch units and other special paint schemes such as the George Bush 4141, Mr. Wright declined to comment and instead grabbed what appeared to be a bag full of spray paint cans and headed for Altoona, PA and Muncie, Indiana which are reportedly the painting locations for the Norfolk Southern heritage fleet locomotives.  We can only speculate as to what he was up to.  He was heard uttering "We still have our steam program that kicks their _sses" as he got into his UP yellow Lexus and proceeded eastward towards one of his two destinations.  We will keep you up to date on any further developments.

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:23 AM

Why does this smack of an April Fools article?Laugh

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:02 PM

LOL!   Neat April Fool's article.  However, I've seen the artwork for the NS Heritage Fleet and I've got to admit that the NS paint schemes make UP's Hertiage units look as if they'd been designed by kindergarten students with a box of Crayola's.  

Those NS units are really HANDSOME!

Tom  

• 335 posts
Posted by scottychaos on Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:46 PM

People should really just give up on the April fools jokes..

because no one is fooled anymore..

the internet has pretty much ruined April fools day, pretty much forever..

the jokes are *expected* now..and they are SO obvious when they are posted on the railfan sites..its really just impossible to fool anyone anymore, therefore all attempts are instantly lame and instant failures..people should just give it up..I mean seriously:

posted on April 1st? did you REALLY expect anyone would be fooled?

please, its just sad and lame..

Scot

• 231 posts
Posted by johngriffey18ca1 on Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:40 PM

It's still fun Scottychaos for SOME of us.  So why don't you just stop being a tool and shut up or ignore the post.  Not all of us have a stick up our rear ends 24/7 and the purpose of an April Fool's article on the trains forums is not actually to get people to believe it for me, it's to have fun.  You know how to have fun scotty?  Apparently not....  I had this on my other pages and some people actually began  to believe it even though I wrote the article so obviously fake.  UP BSO, even my aunt who has know knowledge of railroads or even how companies run, figured that meant BS officer.  An employee publiclly stating negative things about Norfolk Southern, etc are all far fetched but a few people still did believe it for a minute.  So quit ruining the fun others are having.  I had fun writing and posting it, if you didn't have fun reading it move on to the next post Scotty boy.

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Monday, April 2, 2012 12:25 AM

Was this also posted on the Trains Magazine forum.

If it wasn't, it should have been.

Chuck (Modeling Central Japan in September, not April, 1964)

• 11,428 posts
Posted by dknelson on Monday, April 2, 2012 8:10 AM

My idea of a really good April Fool's sort of joke is what I heard about that supposedly took place years ago in a British university town, where there was a long tradition of student pranks.  The police and the town citizens were thoroughly tired of these pranks and were always on guard against them.

This did not take place on April 1 because people's guards are up that day.

So the students came across a road crew digging up a street and said "a group of students dressed like policemen are going to come around and try to stop your work."

Other students went to the police and said "a  group of students dressed like workmen are digging up the street."

They then sat back and waited for the encounter of perfectly legitimate police trying to stop perfectly legitimate workmen --- each convinced the others were mere student pranksters .....

Dave Nelson 

• 161 posts
Posted by dexterdog on Monday, April 2, 2012 9:15 AM

You don't necessarily have to be fooled on April 1st, it's okay to just be amused. MR usually runs an April Fools gag in the magazine every year. I remember as a kid reading a story in MR about some dude who was fed up with having to route his track around the columns that supported the first floor over his basement, so he pressurized his basement and had to work on his layout in a deep sea diver's suit. Installed an airlock and everything.

I was completely taken in by the piece, but of course I was 12 years old at the time. It's okay to have a sense of humor and you can still be a model railroader if you don't. Some of us have tried our best not to grow up and are still amused by that which is intended to amuse us.

• 267 posts
Posted by gabeusmc on Monday, April 2, 2012 9:56 AM

Good thing this is a joke. I thought the UP guy was a sorehead just 'cause NS has more heritage units then UP, but then the bag of spraypaint tipped me off.

Good job Yes

"Mess with the best, die like the rest" -U.S. Marine Corp

MINRail (Minessota Rail Transportaion Corp.) - "If they got rid of the weeds what would hold the rails down?"

And yes I am 17.

• 3,272 posts
Posted by CTValleyRR on Monday, April 2, 2012 10:05 PM

dexterdog

You don't necessarily have to be fooled on April 1st, it's okay to just be amused. MR usually runs an April Fools gag in the magazine every year. I remember as a kid reading a story in MR about some dude who was fed up with having to route his track around the columns that supported the first floor over his basement, so he pressurized his basement and had to work on his layout in a deep sea diver's suit. Installed an airlock and everything.

I was completely taken in by the piece, but of course I was 12 years old at the time. It's okay to have a sense of humor and you can still be a model railroader if you don't. Some of us have tried our best not to grow up and are still amused by that which is intended to amuse us.

The only problem with the MR prank article is that it comes out in the April edition.... which I usually get on or about MARCH first.....

Connecticut Valley Railroad A Branch of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all