Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

adding pickups to trucks

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4,677 posts
adding pickups to trucks
Posted by gregc on Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:23 AM

does anyone have a simple method for adding pickups to trucks to bring power up into the car (caboose)?

i was thinking of something simple such as these trucks on ebay, or maybe using a flattened 12 gauge copper wire.   one worry is how to anchor the pickup (wire) to a common (roundhouse) plastic truck with replaced metal wheels

greg - Philadelphia & Reading / Reading

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:51 AM

Kadee #5 coupler springs, bend the little arms out, and there's a convenient screw hole already there for mounting

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:13 AM

I have done the below from Harold's link. Suggestions are good but a link is better. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I solder #30 flexible wire first and then install the pickup. Not all #30 wire is the same. Some have more strands and very flexible.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:23 AM

Athearn/Roundhouse sells the tender trucks with all wheel pickup. I have bought some. They are used in the Roundhouse steamers. The trucks might not be correct for a caboose though.

Below is a link to the present locos. You can see the part number. They come complete.

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionMdc/roundhouse260diagram.jpg

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 3,290 posts
Posted by gandydancer19 on Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:30 PM

I have also used the Kadee centering springs for caboose truck wipers, and they work very well.

Tomar makes a product called Tomar Shoes. It is a package of bronze pre-shaped wipers that slide on the rail between the truck wheels. If you can't or don't want to use them as they are designed, you can reshape and cut them to suite your specific needs.

Elmer.

The above is my opinion, from an active and experienced Model Railroader in N scale and HO since 1961.

(Modeling Freelance, Eastern US, HO scale, in 1962, with NCE DCC for locomotive control and a stand alone LocoNet for block detection and signals.) http://waynes-trains.com/ at home, and N scale at the Club.

• 252 posts
Posted by CNR378 on Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:51 AM

Never tried them but have a look at these wipers.

http://sbs4dcc.com/hoscalewheelwipers.html

Peter

• 693 posts
Posted by woodone on Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:14 AM

I have used these and they work very well.

Get several pairs, once you use one,  you will find many more uses. 

• 196 posts
Posted by PHARMD98233 on Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:33 PM

Backshop has several configurations for these.  They are well made and robust, not nearly as flimsy as using the KD springs.  I use them to light the marker lights on my cabeese and for lighting my passenger cars.   Since they pick up well from both sides of the truck, I have little to no flickering lights.   Great product and he has nice light bars at a reasonable price. 

pharmd

• 15,797 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:15 PM

gregc

I use a home made copy of the Roundhouse pickups pictured here:

The Roundhouse pickups are discontinued but it is easy to cut out the basic shape from sheet brass. I will admit that mine aren't quite as pretty as the originals.

The limitation with these is that you are only picking up power from four wheels of the eight available. In that respect, the Backshop units are better for obvious reasons, but mine really meet the requirement for "cheap" Smile, Wink & Grin.

In any case you will need metal wheels with metal axles. I use Bachmann 33" #42904's. Only one wheel is insulated so they might not work with the Backshop pickups. Their website says that you need wheel sets with both wheels insulated, although I don't quite understand why. I can't see what problem a live axle would cause. Maybe somebody can correct me.

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all