Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Grandt Line GE 25-Ton Critter kit review

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4,365 posts
Grandt Line GE 25-Ton Critter kit review
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:46 PM

This review is on Grandt Line's HO scale GE 25-Ton Critter kit, which is also available in narrow gauge.Big Smile

Of all the powered non-brass models in HO scale, this has to be one of the smallest of all. Measuring at only 2 1/4" long, it's less than half the size of most two-truck switchers in HO, and is much better scaled than many other 4-wheeled critters in HO scale (especially the old ones still offered by Model Power). The detail is very accurate and finely-scaled, and matches prototype photos very well. The major plastic parts are finely molded, and fit together almost seamlessly (except for the hood, which needed some extra sanding on top). The handrails, lift-bars, and grab irons, which make up most of the detail, are close to a scale 1" in thickness, rather than the 1.75" scale detail in most kits. The cab has a fully detailed interior, and an engineer (or DCC decoder) can be fit inside. That pretty much covers the details.

The kit is made almost entirely from plastic, and the only metal is in the motor, wheels, and detail wire. Most of the parts are quality styrene, but the mechanical parts and finer details are more durable acetal. Most of the kit can be put together with liquid plastic cement, but super-glue should be used for the acetal parts. The parts have little flash, and clean up very easily. The only part that gave me trouble was the right-side window frame, which was destroyed beyond use in the end. The part represents the sliding windows in their closed position, so leaving it off for an open window is still realistic. Grandt Line gives very good instructions, and assembly goes very smoothly as long as they're followed. The most tedious part of assembly was cutting and gluing the clear plastic windows, which is trial and error. A very good size sheet of material is provided, so there's plenty of room for error. Kadee #711 couplers (#714 for narrow gauge) are required to finish the kit, as they hold the pilots in place. No weights are provided, but they are needed, so it's up to the owner to think of something. I made two lead blocks measuring 20.5x8x4mm and glued them in place behind the pilots. The blocks cover the body and coupler screws, so I had to do this part last.

When properly built and tuned, the Grandt Line mechanism is a very smooth runner with excellent control. However, one of the wheels was off-center and caused considerable wobble. The wheel was on the non-geared side, so it was easily replaced with a spare Intermountain 33" insulated wheel (axle is 1/16"). The geared axle is fixed in place, and the front axle is self-adjusting for uneven track. The gear ratio is extremely high (I believe 80:1), so the Critter runs very slowly. At a full 12 volts, the scale speed was only 21.5 MPH, and the Mabuchi motor really whines! I was able to sustain a low speed of only 1 MPH at less than 2V. Not bad at all! Current draw is extremely low, using less than 50mA at full speed (below my power-pack's ammeter range!), and the stall current is around 0.6A. As long as everything's adjusted, a stall should never happen. As I said before, weight is needed for this kit. Without it, I could only make it pull one free-rolling car. With the additional weight, I can make it pull five small free-rolling cars and a bobber caboose on level track. The wheelbase is short, so powered switches or a permanently coupled second unit are needed for smooth switching operation. The stock motor fills the entire hood, so DCC and any other electronics can only be fit in the cab. The headlight housings will fit 1.5mm bulbs.

The 25-Ton Critter is a fun little kit to build, and makes a nicely detailed scale model. Although the basic kit is fairly easy to assemble, I would rate the difficulty at intermediate because of some of the extra work required. But at a retail of only $50, this thing's a really good deal!Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Monday, September 19, 2011 7:30 AM

Another great review Darth.

Ken

I hate Rust

• 4,075 posts
Posted by fwright on Monday, September 19, 2011 11:34 AM

Darth Santa Fe

The kit is made almost entirely from plastic, and the only metal is in the motor, wheels, and detail wire....As I said before, weight is needed for this kit. Without it, I could only make it pull one free-rolling car. With the additional weight, I can make it pull five small free-rolling cars and a bobber caboose on level track. The wheelbase is short, so powered switches or a permanently coupled second unit are needed for smooth switching operation. The stock motor fills the entire hood, so DCC and any other electronics can only be fit in the cab.

An excellent review.  Thanks very much.

There is a company (I forget the name) that can successfully make a one time lost wax brass casting of the shell.  You sacrifice the styrene shell - gets burned off - to make the mold.  Cost was on the order of $100 a couple of years back.  It does add some weight to the model (and triples the cost).

Fred W

• 1,951 posts
Posted by wedudler on Monday, September 19, 2011 11:48 AM

Yes, this little critter is a gem. But perhaps I have it not properly built and tuned. So I've used another driving unit. Now it runs with light and sound! 

Wolfgang

Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de          my videos        my blog

• 4,365 posts
Posted by Darth Santa Fe on Monday, September 19, 2011 1:17 PM

The Bull Ant is definitely a better quality drive unit than the stock Grandt Line, and allows more room inside for electronics and weight. A Flea with an additional gearbox would work well too. But for the price, the GL drive is a lot better than the similarly priced Model Power switchers!Big Smile Your work on that little Critter is extremely impressive.

I'd like to try one of the Wiseman Models 15-Ton Mack kits eventually. They're all metal, so weight shouldn't be a problem like with these. I've heard NWSL is developing a drive unit for them, but if they don't, I'll have to see what I can figure out!

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all