Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Favorite Industry.......

40 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 267 posts
Favorite Industry.......
Posted by gabeusmc on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:31 PM

What's Your favorite industry and why?

My favorite Industry are Grain elevators. I love the old wooden buildings standing next to newer steel bins and cement grain bins. Interesting covered Hoppers spotted next to the elevators. The small farming towns nearby with trains rolling through fields of corn, wheat, oats and soybeans.

This is my thoughts. What's yours?

"Mess with the best, die like the rest" -U.S. Marine Corp

MINRail (Minessota Rail Transportaion Corp.) - "If they got rid of the weeds what would hold the rails down?"

And yes I am 17.

• 869 posts
Posted by Lake on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:47 PM

Medium to large oil refineries. Putting out fuel oils, gasolines, propane, butane, diesel fuels, Lots of tank car types for out going and some for incoming. Some box cars and flats for items to expanding and for repairing the refinery.

Then elevators with large concrete and metal silos. Having attached packing and sorting associated gives both covered grain cars, boxcars and trucks for out going loads. I guess a lot like what I have on my layout.

Ken G Price   My N-Scale Layout

Digitrax Super Empire Builder Radio System. South Valley Texas Railroad. SVTRR

N-Scale out west. 1996-1998 or so! UP, SP, Missouri Pacific, C&NW.

• 157 posts
Posted by HoosierLine on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:53 PM

Food industries because of the variety of cars they take (box, reefer, corn syrup tanks, vegetable oil tanks) and the flexibility they offer with respect to how you can lay out the structure footprint.  A close second would be team tracks, again because of the flexibility.

Lance

Visit Miami's Downtown Spur at www.lancemindheim.com

• 3,312 posts
Posted by locoi1sa on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:01 PM

Long coal drags and the occasional sand and gravel train from the quarry pulled by double headed steam and pushers on the back have got to be my favorite.

While it may not be an industry I can pass a few hours of the day just pushing hoppers across the scale track and sorting by product for outbound trains. Doing one car at a time like the old times is kinda fun.

Pete

I pray every day I break even, Cause I can really use the money!

I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

• 2,377 posts
Posted by leighant on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:29 PM

The favorite industry on my old East Texas Santa Fe layout was the Dixie Darlin Peanut Butter factory.

I don't have any pictures-- but I will keep the memory alive by using it as an unmodeled shipper represented by staging, shipping to "The Olde Peanut Butter Waqrehouse" on my Galveston-theme layout, to be bashed from two DPM Goodnight Matress factories... 

Prototype at Galveston...

• 267 posts
Posted by gabeusmc on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:46 PM

Hey ken, have to agree that refineries are preety cool. thats why i have fertlizer dealerships that recive ammonia in tank cars

MINRail (Minessota Rail Transportaion Corp.) - "If they got rid of the weeds what would hold the rails down?"

And yes I am 17.

• 10,582 posts
Posted by mlehman on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:54 PM

Hard rock mining is my favorite. Lots of inputs, remote communities to support, and extensive facilities for processing, often located at a distance and with their own logistics chain all make this an exciting industry. My layout's operations are based on more energetic than prototypeIdea operations to serve mining communities centered around the D&RGW's Silverton Branch running north from Durango.

Mike Lehman

Urbana, IL

• 973 posts
Posted by jmbjmb on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:04 PM

Tough call.  For visual appeal, I like older feed mills, small oil dealers, and lumberyards.  For variety chemical and mineral processing plants (like kaolin) have both visual appeal, process a lot of cars, and a wide variety.

Unfortunately, some of the best industries in terms of cars in and out and variety such as paper mills are too big to model effectively in a small space.  Even just  a spur to no where representing the plant calls for 20-30 cars in and out.  A simply two car spur just doesn't represent it well. 

On a railroad such as mine where a five or six car train is the limit, I tend to stay with small businesses to keep them in proportion to the rest of the railroad.

• 934 posts
Posted by Eric97123 on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:11 PM

I like my Walthers Magic Pan Bakery. It is flexible enough to take grain hoppers, box cars, and tankers and it looks very similar to a Kraft foods bakery that gets rail service here in Portland

• 223 posts
Posted by J Campbell on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:31 PM

I :heart: sawmills and lumber yards.  There's something about the soggy Pacific Northwest, log trucks and center beam flats that really gets me goin'.

A close second would be the aggregate industry.  Gravel plants, 100 ton hoppers and Difcos dumping along the right of way all give me a thrill.

~ Jason

• 146 posts
Posted by Owendubya on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:35 PM

I like cattle. for the variety of scenes, in the field, being milked, milk stops and early containers, creameries and dairy factories. lets not forget the beef industry that gave rise to the terms such as "cow catcher", "stock yards", "stock market", "bullish" to name a few. Upstate NY small farms had to be a mix of many western types not any one thing till much later in the 20Th century.

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:38 PM

I can't say one industry because there are several that I like but,I'll select one of my favorite types..

Many of you may recall I like boxcars so,one of my favorites is a grocery and restaurant distributor because I can spot several boxcars loaded with can goods,dry goods,paper towels,napkins etc.

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

"Stay Alert, Don't get hurt  Safety First!"

• 132 posts
Posted by The Ferroequinologist on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:48 PM

gabeusmc: I think mine are grain elevators also. I photographed one in Kent, Michigan that had no less than 5 different types of silos all painted in different colors! I have scratch built a number of grain elevators in N and HO for sale on ebay. They sell well.

The Ferroequinologist layoutconcepts@yahoo.com eBay store: Backshop Train & China Store Facebook: Model Trains, Train Sets, Buildings & Layout Concepts

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:51 PM

LOGGING!!!!! Stick out tongue [See website link below; no further explanation required]

~G4

19 Years old, modeling the Cowlitz, Chehalis, and Cascade Railroad of Western Washington in 1927 in 6X6 feet.

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:36 PM

gabeusmc

What's Your favorite industry and why?

River barge terminal - functions like a team track (i.e.a general destination and/or source of tank cars, boxcars, hoppers, gondolas, flat cars etc), but also allows the modeling of barges, docks, cranes, pipes, tanks etc.

Smile,
 Stein

• 724 posts
Posted by BamaCSX83 on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:49 PM

I've got to say that I'm a little torn between grain elevators and power plants.  With elevators you've got the silos, the rail traffic, the truck traffic, lots of action, with power plants you've got the high-wide loads and special moves, and for coal-fired plants, the unit trains of coal inbound with empties outbound, can get pretty hectic moving around.

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:19 AM

My favorite industry is - the railroad itself!

I model a rural area which is, by Japanese standards, very sparsely populated.  Other than freight houses and the collieries served by my short line, all of the action is purely railroad related.  Most freight is simply passing through from staging to staging.  Most of what would be local switching involves routing cars to interchange or transloads (with narrow-er gauge connections.)

While I own, and run, a variety of car types, they are all one basic color -- black - and not all that visually interesting.  Add in that my favorite operating hat is dispatcher...

I do like the idea that will finally shape my collieries - I `minefanned' the prototypes a half-century ago.  Still, they will simply provide traffic, not be an end unto themselves.

Chuck (Modeling Central Japan in September, 1964 - 24/30)

• 109 posts
Posted by Goodness181 on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:22 PM

Hey all.  Its been interesting reading what peope like.  I myself have not started my layout yet but still in the planning phase and still considering what i'm going to have on my layout for Industry's but i deffinattly want industries that work with each other like a log yard that i can pick up logs at and bring to the mill.  I think i would like a concrete plant but not sure what that would go with.  so I'm still in the process of thinking and planning

Anyone has more suggestions please let me know of some industries that work together i guess you could call it.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 17,237 posts
Posted by tstage on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:33 PM

Since I model steam and early diesel, I'd have to say the fueling facilities for the servicing terminals.  That would include incoming coal, diesel fuel, and sand and outgoing ash.  I also like freight depots.  Lotsa action - both from train and truck pick ups and drop offs.

Tom

https://tstage9.wixsite.com/nyc-modeling

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

• 267 posts
Posted by gabeusmc on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:35 PM

The Ferroequinologist

I photographed one in Kent, Michigan that had no less than 5 different types of silos all painted in different colors!

Where can I see a photo?

And yes I am 17.

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:44 PM

Goodness181

Anyone has more suggestions please let me know of some industries that work together i guess you could call it.

Thanks,

Jeff

There's one `industry' that works with anything, from alcohol distilling (whether ethanol or Jack Daniels) to Z-bracket fabricating.  It's called either an interchange track or hidden staging, and frequently consists of a hybrid of both.

While `paired' industries have been touted as a good idea by the model press, realistically they don't meet the suspension of disbelief test.  If the power plant was really that close to the coal mine the two would be connected with a conveyor belt, not a unit train.  (That Walthers `coal mine' was connected to the open pit that actually fed the separator by a mile-long covered conveyor - 60 actual feet in HO.)  Most things loaded into or onto railcars travel hundreds of miles between origin and destination.  The only practical way to simulate that on a layout smaller than a gymnasium is by running almost everything to or from staging.

Someone asked about a cement plant.  If you mean a cement production facility, they range in size from huge to humongous, receive coal in 25-car cuts (or unit trains) and ship in unit trains of covered hoppers.  OTOH, a local cement batch plant won't be too big - but its product output will leave on rubber wheels in ready-mix.  If it receives sand and aggregate from local pits in trucks the only rail traffic will be cement hoppers - a few a week.  Now throw in a block plant and ornamental stonework, and suddenly there's a lot more cement inbound, plus gondola loads of pretty-colored boulders...

Of course, the most interesting way to handle the situation is to do some prototype research and find out what was being moved by rail.  If you model the present, use the features of your favorite map program to take a look at commercial and industrial areas, or invest a little time and motor fuel and go look.  For the recent and more distant past, check with the local historical society of the place you are modeling.  My own informtion comes out of photos and field notes I took on-site almost half a century ago.

Chuck (Modeling Central Japan in September, 1964)

• 109 posts
Posted by Goodness181 on Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:08 PM

thanks tomikawa.  I was looking at some of the books that kalmbach sells and probably will invest in two or three of these very soon when finance allows.

Thanks

• 448 posts
Posted by steamfreightboy on Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:56 PM

You people are crazy! Steel mills are waaaayyyyy better than any grain elevator or refineryWink.

I like steel mills so much, it is the only industry I modelStick out tongue!

sfb

"It's your layout, only you have to like it." Lin's Junction
  • 791 posts
Posted by steamage on Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:12 PM

My favorite industry to model is an operating gravel loading plant and also dumping the hoppers at another location on my layout. It is modeled after a sand and gravel pit that was once located in the Los Angeles area.  The Southern Pacific ballast cars seen being loaded are detailed and painted Tyco operating hoppers. I really like live loaded freight cars, makes for other things to do on the layout.

• 2,594 posts
Posted by CP5415 on Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:16 PM

Automotive assembly.

Lots of boxcars & autoracks!

Brought to you by the letters C.P.R. as well as D&H!

K1a - all the way

• 245 posts
Posted by papasmurf on Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:19 PM

Am cheating here, listing all my favorite UNUSUAL l/o industries. Wish all could be fitted on my tiny pike.... just not enough room!.  Early New England Brickyard/  Firetruck Restoration Facility/  Sand & Gravel Pit on Switchback/  Diamond Match Matchbook Plant/  Diesel Locomotive Recycler/  '50 era Coal-Oil dealer on two levels.   If anyone wished more info on any, they were all posted months ago in Prototype Info for the Modeler section of Forum or ask me and will try to find out how to send you a pdf format  individual article.  TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

• 10,582 posts
Posted by mlehman on Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:39 PM

Not quite a Top 10 list, but after listing my favorite [hard rock mining & smelting], I saw a lot to like in what others here have listed. In fact, all these industries have some sort of traffic pattern/presence in operations on my layout. All serve to support mining, but also have interlocking relationships with each other, in case that's useful for someone wanting a big picture idea of how this works on one layout.

grain elevator/ag supply

oil refinery

food wholesale

coal mining and power production

logging, milling, and lumber distribution

stockyards and packing plant

cement plant

Then there's the one I can't mention because it's secret Oops: uranium refining and fabricationOops - Sign

Mike Lehman

Urbana, IL

• 267 posts
Posted by gabeusmc on Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:48 PM

[quote user="Goodness181]

I was looking at some of the books that kalmbach sells and probably will invest in two or three of these very soon when finance allows.

[/quote]

Get these books. I have all of the Industries along the Tracks( i think thats what you are talking about) and they are great and fun to read.

And yes I am 17.

• 109 posts
Posted by Goodness181 on Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:20 PM

[quote user="gabeusmc"]

[quote user="Goodness181]

I was looking at some of the books that kalmbach sells and probably will invest in two or three of these very soon when finance allows.

[/quote]

Get these books. I have all of the Industries along the Tracks( i think thats what you are talking about) and they are great and fun to read.

[/quote]

Yup those are the ones that i was talking about.  I think their are 4 of them, but yea I am deffinatlly looking at getting all of them.  Once finance are released from my financy manager (ie Wife).  Right now im in planning stage were i dont have room for any sort of layout I'm making alot of track plans on paper right now and have some good starts to some but i think if i can tie in what types of industries i want on my plan i can plan better.  I'm planning on going to the show in Concord New Hampshire thats coming right up and hope to get alot of ideas their.  I'll be sure to take alot of pictures.

• 201 posts
Posted by EMD#1 on Friday, September 2, 2011 10:50 AM

Probably a tie between a Corn Syrup Plant and a Port Terminal.  Both can be very interesting supporting it's own switchers.  Like Steel Mills and Paper Mills both Corn Syrup Plants and Port Terminals could also be layouts in themselves.  A Port Terminal can not only have large warehouses and overhead cranes but also contain large concrete silos for solid bulk commodities and steel fuel tanks for liquid bulk commodities.  

Tim G

President and CEO

Seaboard Central Railroad

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all